Rangefinder Stereo Cameras

I'm thinking that most of the old stereos were contact printed, thus were done in a pre-formatted frame which would automatically crop the images. Maybe you could devise a custom crop in your software to replicate this.

PF

I'm thinking that most of the old stereos were contact printed, thus were done in a pre-formatted frame which would automatically crop the images. Maybe you could devise a custom crop in your software to replicate this.

PF

The challenge is that these cameras either crop reverse of what they should do (as is the case with both Nil Meliors), or the frames are different sizes (as is the case with both Nil Meliors), so I pretty much have to do each pair individually. With the glass plate example above, one frame is 55x60 and the other is 54x58, so I have to bias towards the smaller of the two frames. But then I have to shift each so that the croppings are correct (more on the left side of the right frame, more on the right side of the left frame) and I have to make sure that the tops and bottoms line up. I don't know if they were as precise back in the 1860's-1870's -- judging by stereos I've seen from back then, I'd say they weren't.

What I do have for film is an Omega 6x6 neg carrier, but it crops in too much (55x55) for my liking. However, maybe I should try using it again and see if that makes life any easier.

Another from the Heidoscop. I did this shot before, but it had light leaks. This one's a bit better.

General Warren Stereo2
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

General Warren Stereo2 Colorized
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

The nice thing about the Heidoscop is that the negs ‘crop’ correctly without me having to do too much fiddling with them in the computer.

Interesting that in my commercial work everything has to be perfect, yet in these photos I appreciate the 'imperfection' of it all. I think it works with the subject matter.

New addition to the club - Jeanneret Monobloc. 6x13 stereo as well as panoramic.

Jeanneret Monobloc
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Will probably go to Frank at some point, as most of the shutter speeds are the same (about 1/25) and the time exposure doesn't work. I also got two additional 6-glass plate backs for it with their original case. Purportedly they were used by a German soldier during WWI.

Wow, they just keep getting fancier!

PF

This is a really nice camera in excellent shape (just the shutter speeds and the time exposure need attention), and has a few interesting features. The 6 septum plate holder is sort of 'built-in' to the camera, so it seems to make it a bit less susceptible to light leaks. The camera has a focus, and if you look at the front plate you'll see that it has a depth-of-field scale, which is pretty handy. The viewfinder is clever - it gives you the 6x6 view, but if you fold down the black metal frame in the back of it, it then gives you the panoramic view. When I have a chance I'll take some detail shots of this camera.

I have my eye on one more stereo camera (okay well maybe I have my eye on two). We'll see if I decide to pull the trigger on either.

Well when you want to do “authentic” CW images, I’ll teach you Wet Plate and build you a 5x8 Stereo Camera. :)

I used to frequent the Watland's camera in Chicago Heights. As a side note; they had a location in the Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, IL known more for a police chase that once happened "in" the mall.

Monobloc kit. Interestingly I found the two additional plate backs along with the leather case from another fellow in Germany. These belonged to his grandfather who fought in WWI - he wasn't sure if his grandfather used these in the War or not, but he was a photographer during the War.

Monobloc Kit
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Just showed up yesterday from Europe.....

Lumiere Sterelux
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Lumiere Sterelux, meant for 116 film. I bought the 120 adapters and added two thin metal rails on the top and bottom of the film gate so that it provided some support for the film edges. I have a test roll in it now - it took a bit of figuring out for the numbering/spacing (it has 7 windows in the back!), but I think I got it. We shall soon see!

This thing is seriously beautiful! I love the sculptural curve to the link between lenses; that just makes it so..... sexy!

Just showed up yesterday from Europe.....

Lumiere Sterelux
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Lumiere Sterelux, meant for 116 film. I bought the 120 adapters and added two thin metal rails on the top and bottom of the film gate so that it provided some support for the film edges. I have a test roll in it now - it took a bit of figuring out for the numbering/spacing (it has 7 windows in the back!), but I think I got it. We shall soon see!

Stereo stereos... I intended to convert one of these into a panoramic camera but got caught by the stereo bug!

med_U59396I1594423537.SEQ.4.jpg

Back