Rapidwinder M2 Identification and Use

mynikonf2

OEM
Local time
12:57 PM
Tom,

I own a M2 & would like to add a Rapidwinder to it. Inorder to do this, does the camera need to be modified? If the answer is yes, what needs to be done?

thanks, Mike

Mike,

I have one of Tom's M2 RWs for my M2. The M2 needs no modification. However, it has to be a straight M2. The M2 RW will not fit if you have the rapidload kit. Also you can't fit the Rapidgrip to the M2 with RW. The M2 RW is particular to the M2. The standard Classic RW will not fir the M2.

Charlie

Mike, the M2 Rapidwinder fits on any standard M2's (or M1/MP/MD). The only ones that is excluded are M2R and the Army K15S version. These are the ones with M4 style tulip loading system.
If you re using the "Quick load" it works too, though the plastic "doohickey" that sits on the baseplate is dispensed with.
My stock of M2 Rapidwinders is slowly depleting and as this last batch was mainly concocted for my own use of IXMOO cassettes, once I have assembled whats available in stock - thats it!!!!!
E-mail Tuulikki in regards to availability, shipping and cost (Rapidwinder,com).
Tom

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the responces. My M2 has the rapid load kit but you say I can still use the Rapidwinder, right?

Mike, the Rapid load Kit works fine with the M2 Rapidwinder. The plastic thingy on the baseplate is not needed (and wont fit on the Rapidwinder anyway).

I've been using a black M2 Rapidwinder on my M2s with the rapidload installed with no problems at all. No modifications. Just put it on and shoot. Works brilliantly.

Can I just say that the M2 rapidwinder is a thing of great joy , I would highly recommend it particuarly if you look through the viewer with your left eye ,it is well made and fits the camera perfectly

Tom... What about M2 KS-15(4). Since it has that flowery takeup spool used in M4 and onwards, I would assume that a standard RW (for M4-2, M6, M7) would be required instead of a M2 IXMOO RW. Do you know if this assumption is valid?

(sorry for continuing this thread, thought it would be better to collate all replies, including M2 variants!)

The K15 S as the M2R requires installation of the inter mediate drive from a M42 or M4P. It can be done, but as the K15 is rather collectible, it does reduce the value of it!!! Don't know why?
I had a couple of these and had them converted to M6 drives - works fine but later on I traded them off for 'regular" M2's instead.

At the moment I am out of assembled M2 winders - even had to raid my own cameras a while ago. I do have stock of chrome housings and parts. Once the temperature goes up in my workshop I am back at assembling more. First to supplement my own M2's and then some for customers.

tom, is there a standard M2 rapidwinder or are all the m2 winders m2-ixmoo winders?
No more standard M2 Rapidwinders around. They are all sold out and only the later IXMOO left (and not that many of that!!!). Of course, the IXMOO works fine with regular film cassettes too - so it only adds convinience to it!

Last edited:
M2 Rapidwinder Identification

Hi Tom,

I've been using the M2 ixmoo RW for several years now and it is still my favorite camera setup. Recently I've added a black repaint M2 to my collection, but I'm having problems finding a matching black RW IXMOO.

I'm wondering if you have ever sold either black paint or black chrome M2 IXMOO RW and how many are there out in the wild so that I get an idea how difficult they are to hunt down.

Thanks!

Sorry about the delay in answering - haven't checked my 'site" for a while. The IXMOO compatible Rapidwinder is a bit scarce. So far about 75-80 made and there are housings and parts for another 20. As for black versions - probably less than 10-12 - mostly for my own black M2's. I am winding down the production once the last 20 are done. The IXMOO M2 Rapidwinder was mostly for my own use - and the small, somewhat warped group who still like to sit in the dark and wave sharp scissors around.
When I set out to make the M2 Rapidwinder, the initial production was 400 and that was reached quite quickly - but though I modified a couple of "regular" M2 winders to handle IXMOO's - through the wonder of modern CNC machining I could have them done with less work and to a higher degree of tolerance. The IXMOO Rapidwinder was from the beginning limited to a total of 100 units anyway.

Hi,

I'm in need of some clarification regarding the rapidwinders for the M2, I believe there are 2 versions but I am not sure?

An IXMOO compatible one and a non-IXMOO one correct? Is there any way to differentiate the two? Is the non-IXMOO shorter in height eg?

Hopefully Tom can tune in.
Bests

c

E. asiest way is to check the top plate. The the IXMOO compatible Rapidwinders has the IXMOO engraved in the top plate. The locking mechanism is also different. Non IXMOO compatible winders has a flat locking disc and the lock only turns 90 degrees. On the IXMOO winder the lock has the flange on the top (similar to the regular M top plate for M2/M3) ad it turn 180 degrees as it has to do that to fully open the cassette.

Tom, my M2 Rapidwinder is engraved RAPIDWINDER MADE IN CANADA M2
no mention of IXMOO, it has the IXMOO lock plate and 180 degree turn of course.

Do I have a rare variant? :D:D

For the OP:
Visually the base will give you the answer, as Tom says the IXMOO variant has the two open and closed dots at 180 degrees at 3 and 9 on the clock, the "plain" at 45 degrees at 12 and 3.
Can't shoot the inside I'm half way into a roll.

25284447786_47cc4a30c2_z.jpg

25310878385_0b1b631bde_z.jpg

Back