Rapidwinder M2 Identification and Use

And non-IXMOO?
a36e1053.jpg

Also a archived cameraquest page featuring it
http://cschu.redirectme.net/mirrored/cameraquest/www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleLeica.htm

I once owned the very first IXMOO Rapidwinder

1966 Leica M2 One of 1320 units designated as KS15(4) and built for the US Army during Vietnam. It's an M2 with an M4-style takeup spool. This is #1 of the IXMOO-Rapidwinder, of which only 100 total units were built.

DAG had to modify the M2 to make it work.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0
^ Nice!

just a question, why is the M2 rapid winder so much taller, is it due to the mechanisms inside?

Not that its important, just looks odd say compared to the leicavit, curious as to why.

The Rapidwinders are taller than the Leicavit MP's or LTM Leica Leicavit. The reason is two-fold. I wanted a multiple pin clutch and the only one available was 6.3mm tall and you also need a couple of mm 'spring" action on it. The original Leicavit had a single action clutch that was a bit flimsy and the chain used had a tendency to stretch and throw off the winder action (you had to pull the lever several times). The housing was made from thin (0.8mm brass) and very easily got dented or bent - which could compromise function.
The Rapidwinder is built to last! I hate when things don't work and it was also designed to be user serviced - or at least users can identify what is wrong. It is deceptively simple, 7 or 8 parts inside (depending on model/version) - but complicated designs are more prone to break than a simple/rugged one.
The alloy used in the housing is high strength aerospace material and it is machined on a 5 axis CNC machine (I rent time on it).
There is still a lot of hand work involved, filing sprocket gears , fitting lever and lever lock. I could have made the housing "lower" but not without compromising strength.

I once owned the very first IXMOO Rapidwinder

1966 Leica M2 One of 1320 units designated as KS15(4) and built for the US Army during Vietnam. It's an M2 with an M4-style takeup spool. This is #1 of the IXMOO-Rapidwinder, of which only 100 total units were built.

DAG had to modify the M2 to make it work.

In the early 90's I was given a K15S in truly miserable condition. I managed to have it resurrected and also had it converted to take the M6 Rapidwinder. Ended up giving it a friend in Sweden who had the perfect lens for it. ElCan 90mm f1.0 with the "spacer rings for 20m and 50m. So there are at least two K15S with rapid winders!

For the OP:
Visually the base will give you the answer, as Tom says the IXMOO variant has the two open and closed dots at 180 degrees at 3 and 9 on the clock, the "plain" at 45 degrees at 12 and 3.
Can't shoot the inside I'm half way into a roll.

25284447786_47cc4a30c2_z.jpg

25310878385_0b1b631bde_z.jpg

Chris, that looks like one of the hard anodized winders. The yellow cast is typical of it. I made a couple with that finish and "hand" made locks. Onc I got the design right I had the locking discs CNC machined too. Yours is probably one of 5-6 "prototypes"

The Rapidwinders are taller than the Leicavit MP's or LTM Leica Leicavit. The reason is two-fold. I wanted a multiple pin clutch and the only one available was 6.3mm tall and you also need a couple of mm 'spring" action on it. The original Leicavit had a single action clutch that was a bit flimsy and the chain used had a tendency to stretch and throw off the winder action (you had to pull the lever several times). The housing was made from thin (0.8mm brass) and very easily got dented or bent - which could compromise function.
The Rapidwinder is built to last! I hate when things don't work and it was also designed to be user serviced - or at least users can identify what is wrong. It is deceptively simple, 7 or 8 parts inside (depending on model/version) - but complicated designs are more prone to break than a simple/rugged one.
The alloy used in the housing is high strength aerospace material and it is machined on a 5 axis CNC machine (I rent time on it).
There is still a lot of hand work involved, filing sprocket gears , fitting lever and lever lock. I could have made the housing "lower" but not without compromising strength.

Thanks or the info Tom, I was thinking it may have been something along those lines.

I'd love to take one apart and see how it works when I get one, no warranties to void right? :D

Sorry to bungle in here ... but since you are talking rapidwinders ... :D

What does the M4 need in the way of modification to work? A newer spool?

Chris, that looks like one of the hard anodized winders. The yellow cast is typical of it. I made a couple with that finish and "hand" made locks. Onc I got the design right I had the locking discs CNC machined too. Yours is probably one of 5-6 "prototypes"

My other Rapidwinder is a "plain" black version that lives on the M6 so I had no other version to compare finish with, it is a beautiful finish. They are all special but good to know about the prototype, thanks as always.

OK film out, and for completeness, the inside of my IXMOO M2 Rapidwinder, no IXMOO script and the IXMOO keylock is brassing nicely :)

25044173940_15bf26ec61_z.jpg

24713134703_0050c370ac_z.jpg

For thos who simply must know Nikon D3 55mm f3.5 AIS

OK film out, and for completeness, the inside of my IXMOO M2 Rapidwinder, no IXMOO script and the IXMOO keylock is brassing nicely :)

25044173940_15bf26ec61_z.jpg

24713134703_0050c370ac_z.jpg

For thos who simply must know Nikon D3 55mm f3.5 AIS
Chris, that is one of the prototypes. the brass locking disc tells me that. The original pro to type was a modified M6 winder and that was used as template for the IXMOO design.I had to re-machine the inside and adjust the the top-plate quite a bit.
The IXMOO version is my favourite Rapdwinder -it is a rather elegant solution in its finished form. I still have about 10-12 housings nd top plates available and one of these days I will finish them off.

Somewhere out there is Rapidwinder M2 numbered 003.
I was deployed to Iraq and wanted a Rapidwinder for my M2 which I had with me. I'm left eyed and wanted speed and reliability. T&T were so amazing in getting that Rapidwinder to me. I purchased it online, they contacted my mother in the US and arranged to send it to her, then have her send it out to me at my APO address. When I got back from Iraq, I had my M4 and M2, and foolishly sold the latter with the rapidwinder. I wasn't in a good way, mentally though, looking back. It's all good now, and hopefully that Rapidwinder is being put to good use.
Phil Forrest

Back