Rare early 97th production RalpidWinder on ebay

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
10:02 PM
Yes indeed, RapidWinders ARE collectible!

Where else are you going to find literally hand made Leica accessories produced by a world famous Leica Artisan?

A rare early production RapidWinder is now on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/266045856723

It is among the first 100 production RapidWinders

https://cameraquest.com/rapidwindergenealogy.htm

Once upon a time the early cameras from that guy Barnack sold for a pittance too.

I had to look for a "Remo Pak" for the F36 Motor Drive on Ebay. None. I might have paid $100 for an early F36 with Remo Pak. Goes with my Nikon F Photomic Bullseye. Prices for F36, Battery Packs, Pistol grips- gone insane, used to be dirt cheap.

Maybe people are dumping Crypto Currency and buying collectible camera gear instead.

I was lucky to get mine when I did at about a fifth of the price, and it came with the original triangle box though missing the instructions. Very shortly after that I saw the asking prices rising quite precipitously. I don't plan on ever selling mine.

PF

Wow, you guys are really missing the point.

The early Rapidwinder I linked too is very cheap for what it is.

Remos and Jacobsons have gone up for years now. The empty box and $4300 RW are just over priced like anything can be on ebay or any other selling platform.

Stephen

So how much further north do you think it should be priced at?

PF

In terms of rarity and conductibility, I think an early production prototype like this should be selling retail in the $2500 range.

Of course Boris is a retail operation.

Maybe collectors are just slow to recognize Tom's artwork.

In terms of rarity and conductibility, I think an early production prototype like this should be selling retail in the $2500 range.

Of course Boris is a retail operation.

Maybe collectors are just slow to recognize Tom's artwork.

I think mine is likely from the last batch. No serial number, just Rapidwinder and Made In Canada engraved in the bottom.

PF

Wow, you guys are really missing the point.

The early Rapidwinder I linked too is very cheap for what it is.

Remos and Jacobsons have gone up for years now. The empty box and $4300 RW are just over priced like anything can be on ebay or any other selling platform.

Stephen

I'm not sure i would agree. If you place collector value, then you can price it as you wish.....but strictly as a working tool.... prices are meaningless. A few tears back you could buy an M2,M3,M4 for $1k. How much do you really need a rapidwinder? Sadly Tom is no longer with us, and Rapidwinders are no longer being produced. But Leica cameras lenses and accessories have skyrocketed it price.....out of proportion with their actual utility.

It is a fitting tribute to Tom Abrahamsson's genius in creating beautifully made, functionally superior, and elegantly simple rapid winders for M-series Leicas that they have more or less attained the status of cult collectibles, often bringing higher prices than the Leitz originals. However, as the ultimate user-collector himself I think he'd much prefer it if they had wound up in the hands of shooters rather than showcase collectors, and I concur with that sentiment. Tom was a true one-off original and we still mourn his untimely passing.

It is a fitting tribute to Tom Abrahamsson's genius in creating beautifully made, functionally superior, and elegantly simple rapid winders for M-series Leicas that they have more or less attained the status of cult collectibles, often bringing higher prices than the Leitz originals. However, as the ultimate user-collector himself I think he'd much prefer it if they had wound up in the hands of shooters rather than showcase collectors, and I concur with that sentiment. Tom was a true one-off original and we still mourn his untimely passing.

Count me as a user!

Decked Out Leica M4-P by P F McFarland, on Flickr

PF

Back