RD1 Battery reconstruction project

matadornegro

Local time
11:52 PM
Good evening to all,

I've been a silent follower of RFF for a while now. I've also been away some time, being taken by other… Passions.
In a nutshell, I'm a French RD-1s User I bought second hand in 2013.
It has been my dream camera ever since for reason every one of you do perfectly know.
Today, I'm facing the usual battery issues.
Got 5 of them:
2 Epson - don't last long (in minutes, maybe 1 hour).
1 noname - Last a little bit longer.
2 from Aboutbatterie bought new just after the camera - they do last a little bit more (maybe 2 hours but not enough to be "reliable"). And when taken from the charger into the camera, the needle sees them as close to empty. Now they're old but as far as I can remember I've never seen the needle on the F mark.

I don't use the screen or maybe once or twice to check some delicate shots and I'm not an heavy shooter.

I think having 5 batteries, none of them completely reliable and that need 6 to 8 hours to charge, is the main flaw for that camera.

I'm also concerned about buying batteries since I believe there is not much market for them today and I may end up buying a battery that is stored for many years and aging already. Furthermore, here in France, they're quite difficult to find.

I've read a thread down below where someone did make an external power pack. Clever and smart but not very elegant though.

Last thing, I've read on CameraQuest that using bad batteries may lead to sticking the shutter and cause permanent damage to the camera.

With all these in mind I started to think to a solution. I took one of my Epson batteries and opened it up.
Inside there is a power cell (rated 3.7v 1500mAh outside the full battery but no visible marks on the actual cell).
Its size is 50mm x 18 mm (which seems to give its 18500 ref).
There is also a little PCB with an integrated circuit and some components on the minus side, and a ribbon cable with marks which may be a thermal protection as it does touch the battery body in the middle.

The idea would be to replace the cell based on the idea that individual cells may be used in different devices and then being manufactured more recently or even continuously.
I cannot find 18500 cells with enough power but I did find 14500 (50mm x 14 mm) rated 3.7v 2300mAh!
The cell should fit the case, maybe even without padding.

Before doing something stupid that could damage the camera, I would like to ask what you think about this.
The 800mAh should be more than welcome I believe. I would keep the electronic and of course the case.

Any experience, comment or advice on this would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.
attachment.php

IMG_7675.jpg

There are/were several devices that used this battery and there are several sites that offer new ones. I've used a couple aftermarket batteries with just fine results. That said, I'm not a heavy shooter. Just google Fuji NP80 battery. As I recall they were fairly inexpensive. I've had them years and they still are good.

Yeah with how cheap replacement batteries are just buy a few new ones. I have a few 1500mAh that work ok. Also you might need to calibrate your needles, its in the menu.

Since the nominal voltages are the same, it should be just fine using the 14500 over the 18500. The circuit is probably for overcharge and/or short protection.
But as others have said, if you can still find the original battery go with that, there is no reason to risk damaging such a unique piece of equipment.

Back