Retina IIIC Type 028 Rodenstock

Legionnaire

Local time
2:59 AM
I have a IIIC with a Rodenstock lens in mint condition and was curious about the collector value. I understand these are very rare in the US since they were never imported for the US market. It was purchased by my dad in Europe. I have run a few rolls of film through it. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

Check the 'sold' listings on eBay and that might give you a general idea, however I just checked and the prices range from $125.50 to $419.62 (whether it's the Big C or Small c, with the 50/2 Rodenstock). So pretty much whatever someone is willing to pay for it, or so it seems. Heligon C lenses are supposedly on only 10% of the 028 cameras, but it seems that the prices are within a wide range.

BTW is it an 028 or an 028/N? Meter working?

The camera is 100% functional in every way. It literally looks like it just cam out of the box new. Its a 028 w/ a Rodenstock Heligon.

I only see one in the eBay 'sold' listings that's an 028 with a Rodenstock, with a case and sticky shutter, sold for $225. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge of all things Retina can weigh in, or do a bit of research online and see if you can find a comparable.

Chris Sherlock has a series on YouTube on how to service various types of Retinas. They're great cameras with superb lenses, and should be used. But they don't get high values, with the exception of the Ultron issue, which is very rare indeed. The Heligon gives a premium, it wouldn't sell for less than 400 bucks.

Always advance the film with a full stroke of the lever. The Retinas with the advance lever on the bottom often have problems with the cocking rack being stripped. Check out Chris Sherlocks’ Retina Rescue site: https://retinarescue.com

Welcome to the forum! There is a section dedicated to all models of the Retina on this site.

Yeah this camera has no issues at all, film advance lever works just fine. Keep in mind that this camera was bought new by my dad and he handed it down to me. So I can say for sure its had less than 50 rolls of film through it. It functions wonderfully and produces beautiful pics. My only question on value was strictly a curiosity question. I have researched all of the online sales I could find and have found them sold between $400 and $4100ish. So a very wide range

Yeah thats the problem with collectible items. Value depends on the availability of people that want them and the price they are willing to pay (and of course, how deep their pockets are).

There is a Type 028 with the Xenon lens up for auction on Ebay. The auction ends on Sunday April 4th. Your lens could bring a bit more but not astronomically more. I've owned enough Retinas to know that even the pristine ones can fail without warning. The big C was the last of the folders and builds on all of the features of the earlier models making it one of the best for users.Your father picked a very nice camera. In todays dollars, the purchase price would be about $1200 USD.

I have the IIIc with a 50mm f2 Heligon and like it a lot. I also have a Reflex IV with the 50mm f1.9 Heligon (complete lens with helicals, looks like for the Instamatic- no rangefinder cam). I am not sure there is a really anything significant between the f2 and f1.9, but my opinion based on a pretty small sample is that the Heligon has a bit smoother bokeh than the Schneider; though both are excellent lenses overall. I like having the Heligon, because I just wanted a good Rodenstock lens.

There is a Type 028 with the Xenon lens up for auction on Ebay. The auction ends on Sunday April 4th. Your lens could bring a bit more but not astronomically more. I've owned enough Retinas to know that even the pristine ones can fail without warning. The big C was the last of the folders and builds on all of the features of the earlier models making it one of the best for users.Your father picked a very nice camera. In todays dollars, the purchase price would be about $1200 USD.

Thanks for that info. Yeah dad always had some high quality photo gear.

> $400 and $4100ish

The higher price was probably for a 28/n: a camera that Kodak produced decades after regular production stopped.

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77912

I believe the 28/n was produced with Schneider lenses.

The SN of your lens can help ID the production year. Prices on collectible film cameras are way down from 10 years ago. Nikon RF's go for 1/3-1/2 of peak. Same with the Kodak Retina cameras. The Heligon is uncommon- but I believe the value of your camera is in the $300~$500 range. I picked up a IIIC with the Schneider lens- working condition, I cleaned the Viewfinder and did another minor repair: under $100. Picked up a 1B with bright line finder, under $100. My IIC- needed to replace the cocking rack, which is not an easy job. The camera was given to me.

My "Capital Gang". All required some work. The 1B required the shutter to be flood-cleaned, and VF/RF cleaned. IIB- new cocking rack. IIIC- new front element. "Sweat Equity" and $100.

Yeah this camera has no issues at all, film advance lever works just fine. Keep in mind that this camera was bought new by my dad and he handed it down to me. So I can say for sure its had less than 50 rolls of film through it. It functions wonderfully and produces beautiful pics. My only question on value was strictly a curiosity question. I have researched all of the online sales I could find and have found them sold between $400 and $4100ish. So a very wide range

It should be serviced because the lubricants in the camera are decades old.

They're great cameras with superb lenses, and should be used. But they don't get high values, with the exception of the Ultron issue, which is very rare indeed.

There are no Retina models with Voigtländer lenses like the Ultron. If you have seen one it's most probably an earlier Retina II/IIa with the original lens swapped with one from a Voigtländer rangefinder. I don't think anyone has tried to do that on a 'c' or 'C' model since the front part of the lens has a bayonet mount.

There are no Retina models with Voigtländer lenses like the Ultron. If you have seen one it's most probably an earlier Retina II/IIa with the original lens swapped with one from a Voigtländer rangefinder. I don't think anyone has tried to do that on a 'c' or 'C' model since the front part of the lens has a bayonet mount.

In one of his videos Chris Sherlocks shows one with an ultron lens, and says that it's quite rare. At least that is what I recall. It might have been an Ektar lens though.

In one of his videos Chris Sherlocks shows one with an ultron lens, and says that it's quite rare. At least that is what I recall. It might have been an Ektar lens though.
Yes, he made a video with a Retina II with 47 mm Ektar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzdM-tqSCo8 They are uncommon and I like the black look of the lens. I want one, but the focus scale would be marked in feet and if I bought one there would be one less for the american collectors. :eek:

Back