Retina IIIS

julio1fer

Well-known
Local time
10:48 AM
The IIIS is the top of my small Retina set. I have got the nice Xenar and Curtagon lenses; still looking for.a reasonably priced Xenon. Took the set out after years of resting in a box. It is a hefty, solid, quirky camera with great lenses. The frames in the viewfinder are hard to see, so I use an external viewfinder.

22781EE9-98BC-44BA-9397-4DDFA3066B2E.jpg

A few from a roll of FP4+, developed in D-23 1:1

20220816.jpg

20220811.jpg

20220807.jpg

The lenses are supposed to work on the Retina Reflex S; never tried to get a Reflex, although I did use one when a teenager, on loan from my father.

Anybody has a working IIIS? Do you like the exposure control that links aperture and shutter speed?

As much as I liked the IIIC, I could never bring myself to using the focal adapters on it. Too much hassle trying to set focus and aperture, and a bit clumsy too. It was always my intention to get a IIIS kit, and I did wind up with a body and no lenses, but it was missing a couple of parts. I gave it to someone who needed a part that was still on the camera, and since I didn't want the pieces lying around I just gave him the whole camera. Then I got interested in Leica, and never bothered with the Retina cameras again. But I do know if I had been able to put together a IIIS kit, it would have delayed the Leica infatuation for a while longer. They are beautiful cameras with exceptional lenses, and a quirky meter control system.

The camera felt good in the hands, even if it was missing the bottom plate. I did get a Reflex 3, but those lenses I think have a slightly different mount than the S series. That was my last experience with Retina cameras.

It looks like you have a excellently functioning example, Julio, and the photos are top notch as we've come to expect from you. Glad you've been able to retrieve it from the darkness so it can capture new light.

PF

I am a little interested in the IIIS. I have a IIIc (with the Rodenstock Heligon), and love that, plus a Retina Reflex IV with a collection of Schneider lenses. I have two lenses without the rangefinder cam and NOT labeled "Retina", so I suspect they come form an Instamatic (a 50mm f1.9 Xenon and a 35mm f2.8 Curtagon). Both lenses are excellent on the Reflex IV, but unfortunately would not work well on the IIIS (no cam, so uncoupled focus). I have a 50mm f2.8 Retina-Xenar, an 85mm f4 Retina Tele-Arton, and a 135mm Retina Tele-Arton (rarely use). The last three do have rangefinder cams. The Reflex IV is also a quirky camera (as is the IIIc a little). The coupled shutter/aperture is ok, but often I change shutter speeds then have to adjust aperture separately. Not a big deal, but quirky. Since two of my best Schneider lenses do not have the rangefinder cam, I am less inclined to seek out a IIIS. I can adapt my Schneider lenses to some of my M42 cameras and my Fujifilm XT-2. I really like the Schneider lenses (and the Rodenstock).

The 50mm F1.9 is one of my favorite lenses- and used to be cheap. The version with Cam has a min focus of 3ft, the late version with 52mm filters dropped the Cam but goes to 2ft. The 90/4 Tele-Arton dropped the RF cam.

No problem on mine with seeing the framelines- check the Viewfinder for haze.

PF, thanks for your kind comments!

Markjwyatt, your information about lens compatibility is very much appreciated. I would have no problem in guessing distance, so maybe I should look for a Xenon 1.9 attached to a Reflex, and take the chances.

Brian, my viewfinder is clear, no haze at all. I believe that the frameliines have faded; do not know if this is a common issue. At any rate the RF patch is bright and easily focused.

I have an early IIIS with markings auf Deutsch and S-K lenses in 28, 35, 50/2.8, 50/1.9, and 135, all with RF cams. The camera works beautifully except that the framelines don't properly change with the change of lens. I've been saving up to send it to New Zealand for a CLA, but now I understand Chris Sherlock has retired? Looks like I'll have to follow his YT videos and tear into it myself. Any tips? Howell Branch.jpg

Try a little 99% pure Isopropyl alcohol around the mechanism in the lens mount. It could be gummed up. I've done this to free up the movement of the shutter-speed/aperture ring.

I have two of these, with almost all the lenses. The Head Bartender's writeup was what got me interested in the camera. Really nice camera, though I have to say the later Retina bottom wind lever is, well, an acquired taste. People talk about how quiet their Leicas are, but the IIIS puts Leicas to shame in that department.

I have an early IIIS with markings auf Deutsch and S-K lenses in 28, 35, 50/2.8, 50/1.9, and 135, all with RF cams. The camera works beautifully except that the framelines don't properly change with the change of lens. I've been saving up to send it to New Zealand for a CLA, but now I understand Chris Sherlock has retired? Looks like I'll have to follow his YT videos and tear into it myself. Any tips?

He has retired, but he recommends Paul Barden as a Kodak repairer [email protected] .

The Retina's poor relation, the Retinette, though not a rangefinder, is an excellent camera that is very cheap these days.

I own an IIIS Rangefinder and a Retina Reflex with a few DKL lenses and I love them all - finely engineered German products. They are all very well made. The DKL 28mm F4 Curtagon is radioactive as hell though - caution recommended.

Well, I watched Chris Sherlock's video on how to remove the top cover and rangefinder from the IIIS (Thanks, Chris!), settled in one afternoon last week, and did the job in a couple of hours. Once I got down to the rangefinder I saw immediately that the fork that moves the frame lines was not coupling with the arm that follows the lens focus cam. So I loosened the rangefinder and set the fork down squarely over the end of the focus arm (making sure that the main rangefinder arm was connecting correctly as well), and now I have a perfectly functioning Retina IIIS. The rangefinder is clear and accurate, the parallax correction is working, and the framelines for all the lenses are bright.

The only part I don't have to make a complete set is the viewfinder for the Retina-Curtagon 28mm. Apparently those are hard to come by; I'll have to make do with a generic 28mm finder.

Oh yes, and I'll have to get the 200mm Tele-Xenar.

I own an IIIS Rangefinder and a Retina Reflex with a few DKL lenses and I love them all - finely engineered German products. They are all very well made. The DKL 28mm F4 Curtagon is radioactive as hell though - caution recommended.

David knows that I am offended by radioactivitist claims when it comes to certain optics.

The Retina's poor relation, the Retinette, though not a rangefinder, is an excellent camera that is very cheap these days.

They certainly are - though, as ever with anything Kodak Ret* head Chris Sherlock's warnings - you certainly can get good original ones, but there are plenty out there that need the shutter de-crudding before they function as intended.

I lucked out and found a genuine Kodak 28mm viewfinder for the Retina-Curtagon 28/4. Unfortunately, the foot was broken off at the body, but with some plastic scrap, J-B Weld, and the foot from an old tele-wide finder I reproduced the Kodak foot, offset to the left 16mm to align the VF vertically with the Curtagon. I think maybe these viewfinders are so rare because the hard plastic they were made of is so easily broken.

Attachments

• DSC06033 -bw.jpg
    DSC06033 -bw.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 0
Back