Retina vs Barnack?

Retina vs Barnack?

• Barnack

Votes: 175 55.9%
  • Retina

Votes: 138 44.1%

• Total voters
I recently cleaned the VF and RF patch of my IIIC. Gaining access was pretty easy:

Remove the screw to the right of the meter, and the two under the left rewind knob (pull the knob up to access them). The top plate will pull up, then rotate it 90 degrees to the body, so it sits on top of the camera. This gives you access to the VF and RF optics without having to remove the rewind knob/shaft.

Careful cleaning with optical grade swabs left my camera's VF much cleaner, and the RF patch brighter.

~Joe

I bought an absolute gem of a Retina IIIc the other day. It's almost too nice to use, and cost me less than $100. I think it's unlikely I can find a Barnack Leica with a lens in such condition without a lot of luck.

As long as you only use the 50mm lens, the Retina has a lot to recommend it over the Leica, including flash sync at all speeds and the integrated viewfinder/rangefinder.

Something about the Retinas makes me smile. They seem so cute and fun.

I've only had my Retina II (type 014) for a few weeks but instantly it felt great in the hand. The lens is dead sharp of course. I wouldn't be able to chose between it and my Leotax F. Different beasts for different occasions. The Retina wins on size and combined viewfinder/,rangefinder.

Even with a modestly dirty viewfinder it's exceptionally easy to use.

Retinas:

Very high quality durable body designs and manufacturing

Great lenses

Easy to repair and maintain

Those are reasons I began to collect and use them - - -

Retina IIa, Retina IIIc, and the terrific (often ridiculed) and fun to use little Signet 35

. . . on to finding more for the collection . . .

Since I got the M2 I sold the Leica IIIc.
I am shooting the first roll in a near mint Retina IIa.
I'm keeping my Leica Standard and the M2.
Depending on how the first roll turns out on the IIa, I'm either keeping it or gifting it to a friend.
Confused? Yes I am.

I don't know why this thread popped back up, but since it did, I can report that I wish I had not gifted the Retina to the friend, it was fun to shoot, and the lens was super.

This is a little out of place, but I had two Schneider-Kreuznach lenses (Xenon 50/1.9 and Curtagon 35/2.8) without the rangefinder cams, bought a Retina Reflex IV to mount and use them (in addition to adapting to other cameras). I love the optics, plus as @mich_rassena mentioned, the prospect of flash sync at all speeds is great for especially outdoor flash photography. In theory the Retina IV is my default 35mm outdoor flash camera; though I have not needed to use it for that purpose since I got it.

I have a hard time voting. I have two IIIfs and enjoy shooting with them.

However, just this past week, as I was browsing around, I picked up a IIa w/f2 Xenon and case in good condition at a consignment shop for $35. This is my 1st Retina Rangefinder.

Amazing heft for such a small camera. I'm enjoying shooting my first roll so far. Definitely a nice little walk around camera.

The two cameras are too different for me to compare. I suppose I like them both equally.

Only thing I worry about with folders is the integrity of the bellows over time.

Attachments

• IMAG8560~2.jpg
    IMAG8560~2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG5682_1~3.jpg
    IMAG5682_1~3.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMAG9244-1~2.jpg
    IMAG9244-1~2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 5
Sometimes it's the little things. One way I keep my GAS under control is to confine myself to bulk loaded short rolls of film, typically 12-exposures. The LTM Leica (and Nikon S or F) cassettes are relatively affordable, and so much nicer than the new plastic or sheet metal ones, that they are the only cameras I use.
That said, I certainly admire the design and workmanship of the Retinas.

I recently cleaned the VF and RF patch of my IIIC. Gaining access was pretty easy:

Remove the screw to the right of the meter, and the two under the left rewind knob (pull the knob up to access them). The top plate will pull up, then rotate it 90 degrees to the body, so it sits on top of the camera. This gives you access to the VF and RF optics without having to remove the rewind knob/shaft.

Careful cleaning with optical grade swabs left my camera's VF much cleaner, and the RF patch brighter.

~Joe

What about the meter? Or is that completely separate from the interior of the camera?

Of all Retinas I've had or handled the simple 1b feels like a little gem in my hands.
I agree. My simple 1b is a precision German jewel of a camera. And the Schneider-Kreuznach 50 mm/f2.8 Retina-Xenar makes some very nice images, and sharp as you can ask for. Stop it down to f5.6 and smaller, it performs!

It's been forever since I shot with a Barnak, but I have an M4-2 in addition to a few Retina IIc cameras. Unless I'm intent to use something other than a 50mm lens, I tend to grab the Retina first for the simple reason that when I'm just walking with it, I can close the body and protect the lens. The Retina IIc's 50/2.8 lens is a superb performer.

G

Back