Retina vs Barnack?

Retina vs Barnack?

• Barnack

Votes: 175 55.9%
  • Retina

Votes: 138 44.1%

• Total voters
Kind of like saying is Beethoven better than Mozart. I really enjoy my Retinas (Ia and IIa) and my Barnack Leicas (IIIf and IIIf). I think the Schneider 50mm F2 shades the Elmar 3.5 a bit, and is better than the Summar 2.0. The Summarit 1.5 (stopped down) and the Summitar 2.0 are better, though. The Retinas actually go out with me more often, though - they fit a lot better in a pocket.

@JPD
Yes zone focussing is definitely an option as the two 35mm lenses have f4 and f5.6 minimum aperture.

I see that my Retina-Curtar 5,6/35 has a zone-focus mark close to 3 meters on the DOF-scale. If you set the focus there on the wide-angle focus scale (on the bottom of the focus ring on the camera) the DOF will be enough from 1,75 meters to infinity if you use aperture 11. It would work nicely for street shots if you use a fast film. :)

Could someone advise about Retina CLA's?
Prices and places?

Chris Sherlock has CLA'd my IIIS and IIIC--excellent work and quick turnaround. Not cheap, though--at the current exchange rates, a CLA for a IIIS is over $180.00, plus shipping to New Zealand. Here's his repair and price page:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/KodakRetinaRepairService.html

Prices for the folders (IIa to IIIC) are about $120 at current exchange rates. Chris pays the return shipping on all work.

Last edited:
I love the name 'Retina' .... that alone makes me want to own one eventually! :D

'Barnack' ... ugly word!

'Screwmount' ... sounds like something you'd find in a hardware store!

Last edited:
I've always wanted to try one out, the IIIC mostly because of the huge viewer.

I don't believe we have a "Show Us Your Retina" thread here. Perhaps it's time to create one.

I've got a Retina IIIC (big C) inherited from my Grandfather- he sure had good taste. I've bought and sold many cameras- this is one that I will never sell, and not just for the sentimental value. I love shooting with it, the Xenon 50 f2 produces a nice look, love the almost silent shutter sound, big bright rangefinder, meter (mine is still accurate) and compact folding size. My only gripes would be the weight (they're a hefty beast), and handling can be a bit awkward... But I'd shoot a Retina over a Barnack any day....

I don't own a Leica, but have a Zorki 1. It doesn't even come close to what my IIIC has in looks and personallity, but then that's where they are the least alike anyway. As mentioned before by many others, you can't beat the Retina viewfinder, especially the IIIC, with the framelines for all three lenses and it's larger viewport (which will also take a right-angle viewer). But I have issues with the ergonomics of it.

Not much to grasp with the right hand, the EV system of exposure with it's hard to change locking lever, and Heaven forbid you should forget to reset the frame counter. I don't consider the interchangable lens elements as any kind of advantage when you have to recalibrate your focus with every shot. And why a plastic hood? I wonder how many of those got crushed in someones pocket. Must have been a conspiracy with the plastics suppliers for Kodak to go that route.

But the IIIC is such a lovely camera, even with all it's quirks. If the meter was working on mine, I would probably shoot it more, but I have other choices. Sure, the Zorki doesn't have a meter, but it sure is easier to use Sunny 16 on than the Retina.

I'm thinking of letting the old girl go, since I'm not going to be able to give it the work it needs to keep it happy (you reading, Keith?). But it was one of the cameras I had lusted after for a long time, and I came across mine in such a surprising way. And did I mention it's just gorgeous to look at, and to hold? And the sound of the shutter! Sigh...

PF

I bought my IIa a couple of weeks ago and have put a couple of rolls through it and I love it. Lens is awesome and loading is a breeze. Is a little small for me without using the 1/2 case but perfect with it. There is a IIIc that I am looking at in the local market here because I am sold on Retinas.

I sold my IIa. Great camera, but my Ia w/ Ektar lens just blew it away in IQ. Scale focusing is really easy, and since you have to look at the camera from the front to set the speeds and aperture anyway, it takes but a few extra seconds to set the distance. Since I got my Nikon SLR w/ Leica lenses going I never shoot it anymore though. I like not having to take a hand held meter w/ me.

I have two hang-ups about the Retina IIIC. One is it's ergonomics, and the other is the ridiculous interchangable front elements. The second I can just ignore, but the first I have to live with. That said, (even though I own a Zorki) I cannot bring myself to look through the viewfinder anymore on the old Russian. I even went to the trouble of getting a nice I-26M so I could change apertures while using filters, and I still can't stand the viewfinder. And when you think about the pocketability of the Retina (it even closes with a filter attached), I'm sold.

But wait until I get the Yashica YF repaired. Then the Retina may have a hard time getting in the que.

PF

I came across a as-is IIa on ebay and picked it up. The cameras basically shot (which matches what I paid for it : ) but it cured me of my IIa interest. It isn't that much smaller than the IIIc and surprisingly, the IIIc works a bit better for me. It would become a repair project but the glass is shot. Its almost like the lubricant migrated to the glass and then etched it, though that doesn't make sense. For $10 though, I may take it apart and try to get the shutter working more reliably for fun. Otherwise it will go back to ebay with a more accurate description.

Inspired by a recent Retina thread, I finally spent some time cleaning oil off of the shutter leaves which was causing the IIIc to hang. Also took the opportunity to clean the all of the elements. Almost done shooting the first roll with it. Forgot how much I like this camera. :)

Last edited:
Just shot a short roll to test a recently acquired Retina II. To my eyes the Xenon 50/2 is on par with my Summitar. I just wish I can get inside the combined VF/RF which is a bit cloudy.

My Retina IIIc, believe it or not, has the best rf I've used thus far, and I've tried quite a few fixed lens rf's. Although I can't compare to a Barnack. This is the small c variant. While it doesn't have the largest view finder, it's quite clear and the white diamond patch is extremely easy to see in the bright sun or indoors.

It's easier to use than my Vitomatic IIa with it's 1:1 viewfinder, because it has a tendency to flare which makes it difficult to see the yellow circle patch.

I did try an M3 one time but that particular sample simply sucked. Sorry, wasn't at all impressed.

I guess every camera has it's own idiosyncrasies.

I'd love to try a Barnack though. That old glass looks wonderful.

My Retina IIIc, ...easier to use than my Vitomatic IIa with it's 1:1 viewfinder, because it has a tendency to flare which makes it difficult to see the yellow circle patch....

exactly...almost.
i am using two Vitomatic IIIb, bought from different seller, both needed a pro's cleaning to restore the VF.
i found that one of them "has a tendency to flare which makes it difficult to see the yellow circle patch", the other is better.
so my suspect is that the comparison of A camera and B camera may not be all fair, due to the conditions of the specimens.

I perfer the Retina IIIC to any other 35mm Folding cameras. I have Voigtlander IIA, Several Zeiss ikon, including the Contessa. Among them the Retina is not the most expensive one but the best one.

On the other hand, Leica iiic is a totally different system, a totally different generation of cameras.

I will select IIIc between this two.

I got my first Retina a IIa but the RF patch is faint so it is hard to focus. I assume this is not normal. Can it be fixed and who can do it?

Back