Retina vs Barnack?

Retina vs Barnack?

• Barnack

Votes: 175 55.9%
  • Retina

Votes: 138 44.1%

• Total voters
I don't think is is really fair to compare the two, because they are not in the same price range...
Here in Europe:
Retina IIa / 50mm f2 30€ - 100€
Barnack Leica + any 50 f3.5 or f2 >200€. And you can have a scratched lens, a shutter with holes and a shot up RF at that price if you are not careful...

I don't think is is really fair to compare the two, because they are not in the same price range...
Here in Europe:
Retina IIa / 50mm f2 30€ - 100€
Barnack Leica + any 50 f3.5 or f2 >200€. And you can have a scratched lens, a shutter with holes and a shot up RF at that price if you are not careful...

I disagree..

Kodak introduced the Retina camera to compete with the screw Leica..

Chris Sherlock has CLA'd my IIIS and IIIC--excellent work and quick turnaround. Not cheap, though--at the current exchange rates, a CLA for a IIIS is over $180.00, plus shipping to New Zealand. Here's his repair and price page:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/KodakRetinaRepairService.html

Prices for the folders (IIa to IIIC) are about $120 at current exchange rates. Chris pays the return shipping on all work.

Chirs made my III S and the lenses - the best investment I made ever!!!

As I am primarily a 120 shooter now I recently gave up my M6Ti to help finance an 903SWC. Reason I could do that easily is because I have a IIa and IIIc for 35mm. Also have a Rollei 35 and 35S. :)

If the film is already loaded, I'd take the Barnack. If not I'd take the Retina.

Touche' on that comment - I've done both and stayed loyal to a couple of Barnacks - mainly because of the size of the later Retina IIIC, ease of focusing with a Barnack and the ability to choose my own optics.

Best Regards,

So as someone with a bunch of Retinas... any favorites of the series? What are the biggest differences to you?

I have a IIIc (little c). I love it but it makes me curious about the others, particularly the IIa which people seem to love.

Not surprisingly the IIa is still my favorite. It fits my pocket better than a c and simply feels more comfortable to use. If I think I'm going to be changing lenses I take the Leica II which I recently picked up. Surprisingly (to me) my 119 is a close second. It is the most compact camera I have and with asa 200 film there is seldom a need for going over 3.5.

I just bought a retina lllc with Heligon lens. I used to have a lla (twice, different times).

I need to load it but would love to clean the viewfinder first as it's quite dirty. The RF patch is okay.

I love my Retina IIa but prefer my IIIs - I just had a russian Barnack copy for a short time and never liked the finder and the way it feels in my hand - that's why I didn't bought a real Barnack.

I have owned several Barnacks and recently got my first Retina (a IIIc). Each comes complete with its' own set of quirks which are accepted by fans. The Barnacks will always be a true interchangeable lens rangefinder camera, the Retina is mostly limited to the 50mm. I did try using the 80mm Schneider, just once, I applaud anyone using the Kodak interchangeable lenses. On the Barnacks I have tried collapsable Elmars and tiny Summarons but the Retina is truly a camera you can drop in a jacket pocket. I like the diamond shape of the rangefinder patch and have learned the trick of focusing with my glasses on then taking them off to frame. Most days when I head out on a walk, the Retina is slipped into a pocket along with a Sekonic 308s. In the month or so since picking up the Retina, it is quickly becoming a constant companion. The irony being there is a perfectly fine camera built into the iPhone in my pocket but the Retina makes taking pictures more fun. No camera is perfect but it's the one you have with you is the best one there is.

.......In the month or so since picking up the Retina, it is quickly becoming a constant companion. The irony being there is a perfectly fine camera built into the iPhone in my pocket but the Retina makes taking pictures more fun......

The key to every great camera, they make taking pictures fun!

B2 (;->

The IIa with a Leica 50mm finder can't be beat. I put a cyan gel inside the viewfinder window to improve rangefinder patch contrast.

Attachments

• ignore001.jpg
    ignore001.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks, just might give it a try. With both my IIc and IIIc, I've been using the trick of focusing with my glasses on then taking them off to frame.

For CLA or repair I recommend Chris Sherlock in New Zealand.

http://retinarescue.com/

Even with the postage to from N.Z., the costs are reasonable and the service is excellent.
His site also has a lot of information about Retinas.

Back