Ricoh GXR: photographing a wedding

Robert,

I have been thinking about what you wrote about documenting the last days of loved ones and I find it an interesting idea.

In the past I have been considering shooting funerals but the time before that is at least as valuable to those that remain, I should hope.

It might be hard to find and approach people to photograph their loved ones but also worth the effort.

I got to your post via searching for GXR. I like your comment that the end times for us are as important as the days when death seems not at hand. Can you update? I know it's been years since you made this post. Thank you!

No GXR, but I recorded the decline of a dear friend dying of prostate cancer over about a two year period. Becky and I would have a weekly lunch with Don. And I would drag along a camera almost every time. You know what Overgaard says, "Always wear a camera." The other two got used to me and the camera and I got a bunch of pictures of Don laughing, talking and being Don all the way until he went into hospice and then when he went on to the hospital to die. The physical changes were evident. He was still pretty much the same guy except for the last month or so. I am glad I have the photos. And some I took before he was diagnosed. The camera does not have to be an art tool, it can chronicle.

Back