RIP Tom A

jaapv

RFF Sponsoring Member.
Local time
2:30 PM
ADMIN EDIT

Tom Abrahamsson - A Life Well Lived

Tom Abrahamsson was loved by everyone who knew him, an amazing man of incredible kindness, curiosity, optimism and love for life.
And yes, he just happened to know more about photography and Leica than anyone else I ever knew.

Tom also had an almost inexhaustible store of amazing true stories. One of my favorites was being stopped in the back roads of Finland by a motorcycle cop who wanted to see what Tom was transporting on a dark and cold night. The cop peered into the back with his flashlight, only to see the hood of a king cobra raise up in its cage. For some reason he then lost all interest what was in the back seat and was happy to see Tom and his cargo on their way.

Tom successfully battled multiple Myeloma for sixteen years. What are the chances of anyone doing that? I believe his contagious optimism was a big part of that success story.
Tom fell November 29th, hurting his back and limiting his mobility. That started almost daily doctor visits. He checked into the hospital January 1st.
He passed away January 6th 2017 unexpectedly of an apparent heart attack. My deepest condolences to Tuulikki.

He was my friend. I will miss him a lot. But then, Tom was everyone's friend. He was that sort of person.

I think he is heaven now, laughing and talking with Oskar Barnack about how to improve the next Leica M.

God Bless Thomas

Stephen

Tom On Flickr
the pic of him laughing in the hospital was taken the day before he died.

Tom's Biography at Finland Leica Shooters

Tom's Uncollectibles

Tom's Toy Shop

Tom's Leica RapidWinders

Tom's RapidWinder History

Tom's Nikon Rangefinder Rapidwinders

2005: The Rangefinder Year that was - as reported by Tom

Tom's Soft Releases - history and special editions

Tom's Hood for the Nikon Rangefinder 50/1.1

Tom's Hoods for Nikon Rangefinder 35/1.8 & 35/2.5 Lenses

I've just learned that Tom passed away. Although I never met him in person, I had occasion to correspond with him and found him a true gentleman. He'll be sorely missed by the Leica community.

He was always such a gentle and kind contributor.
Condolences and warm wishes to all of his family, friends, and admirers.

Wow, that is tough news, he was an iconic figure here and I always appreciated his input. RIP Tom and a big hug to the RFF community...:(

Unexpected news and sad to hear a great contributor to the community parted. Condolences to friend and family.

So sad...
Condolences to Tuulikki & family.
I will miss you Tom A.
Defistating news.

Oh no. Sad news and I am in shock. I didn't realize he wasn't doing well. I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but he was always a very informative, nice and warm character to RFF and the photography community. I always hoped to one day meet him in person in Canada or Japan...

Condolences to his family and friends.

Tom, you'll be missed. Please say hi to Mr. B.

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I thought he was a terrific bloke who kept his passion for photography right up to the end and I'm going to miss seeing his images on Flickr, immensely. I can't ever recall seeing a photo of him in which he wasn't smiling broadly. His passing is a huge loss to the rangefinder forum community. I can only offer my condolences to Tuulikki and his family. He will be very sorely missed, indeed.

oh my God, shock, disbelief
horrible news...
I Loved Tom and will always cherish the time spent with Tom & Tuulikki in NYC
and all the Fun ways Tom could make photography here on Rff so exhilarating

My Love to You Tuulikki ... I am so sorry for your Loss

Really appreciate all he has done for this community... He was a good friend to a lot of us here on the forum, even if we never met in person. We all share the same passion that drove Tom!

Tom was a wonderful man and a fine engineer. I remember meeting up with him several times on periodic visits to the San Francisco Bay Area as far back as the 1990s. Always a good humor, always an insightful comment, a great smile, and a good laugh.

Godspeed Tom! You will be missed.

G

So sorry to hear this. Another larger than life, respected figure in the RFF community passed away.. my condolences to family and friends.

Back