RIP Tom A

I was just in touch with him in the 28th of November and we had a nice exchange. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. My prayers go out to his family.

I followed Tom's daily walks through Vancouver through his daily photos on Flickr. I always thought of him as someone I would really like to meet one day, maybe on a trip out west. I'm sorry I'll never get the chance. My deepest condolences to Tuulikki and all Tom's friends and family.

A Dear Man and Rangefinder Giant

A Dear Man and Rangefinder Giant

I learned of Tom's passing on the same or next day. As everyone else, I was shocked and saddened.

When Tom attended a LHSA meeting here in Rochester I was able to meet him and Tuulikki for a drink and a nice long chat, along with some other LHSA members. Kodak had not yet released TMY-2, but had given everyone at the event samples, and Tom gave me one of his rolls. His generosity was not surprising, but I was still surprised and very, very grateful.

In November I had purchased three softies from Tom & Tuulikki, and the email exchanges were as wonderful as speaking with them in person.

Tom will be greatly missed by thousands upon thousands.

Tom A at LHSA Rochester by Earl Dunbar, on Flickr

So sad. I have been traveling a lot and have not checked RFF for ages, so I had no idea. My condolences to Tuulikki & family.

I just came across this thread and read the very, very sad news.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Tom in person, but knew him from the RFF and various other sites for many, many years. Tom was always extremely generous in sharing his knowledge and always a perfect and kind gentleman. I will always appreciate his kindness in sharing his seemingly endless knowledge (and patience) with some young and inexperienced 'kid' who fell in love with photography.

My condolences to his wife Tuulikki and the rest of his family. I'm certain he is headed to the big darkroom in the sky with a Leica and endless supply of Tri-X on hand.

Godspeed Tom, we'll miss you, but never forget you.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom in person a few years ago when he and Tuulikki visited Japan. We had a good chat over a dinner of Pizza at a nearby restaurant.

Tom was one of those rare and unique persons whose true life was more interesting than many a fiction writer could create for a film character. His passing is a loss, but at least he left the world with good memories (for himself, and for others), and a life well-lived.

Was shocked to hear of his passing from another thread. My condolences to his family and friends. I've admired Tom prior to joining this community for his work and contributions. Love the idea of shooting a roll of Tri-X in his honor.

Many of us will truly miss Tom and his amazing knowledge and kindness. Always willing to share what he knew I personally found him to be a wonderful man and resource. His advice to try the Beutler developer during my recent trials of a new film was amazingly prescient and I will always remember his willingness to share.

Rest in peace Tom. You were truly a friend and mentor to many. Thank you.

I posted this in the Camera and Coffee thread, but it's just as relevant here.
Tom and I taking a much needed beer and pipe break at the LHSA meeting in Louisville 2008.
It's a day I'll never forget.

421c76611734e22a865c9c0848818f48.jpg

Good Man

Good Man

I have not logged on much, so sorry to see this, from everyone, he was a good, talented and generous man-- hope that can be said for all of us.

We mourn for ourselves--

Regards, John Fleshin

I am sorry to hear of Tom's passing, his extremely knowledgeable insight into everything camera and photography will be missed.

I had a chance to interact with him (via email) a few years ago when I was a new member of this community and I can't forget how cordial he was in his response to a few of my "stupid" newbie questions. I could feel the excitement that he displayed while talking about cameras.

RIP Tom

I was saddened to hear of Tom's passing. I can well recall reading his contributions and learning so much from them. When I use my rapid winder and soft release I will remember him! My condolences to his family and friends.

Sincerely, Richard

I knew Tom for many years. Spent time with him in Vancouver, Tokyo, Vienna and Paris. Always a gentleman and always made me laugh.

Bob, so good to see you on the RFF, sorry it is this sad occasion. I keep seeing Tom's posts on the RFF and can't believe he is gone.

For those who don't know -- Bob is the publisher of the Nikon Historical Society Journal, and author of the definitive Nikon Rangefinder books.

Only now did I hear about Tom's passing and really am shocked.
I am so sad for his family and close friends.

Rest in peace Tom, you were a great guy, such a friendly and good natured man, never afraid of a helping someone out with his knowledge.
I will miss him.

4/13/17

I've just returned home after 8 days in mostly rainy Vancouver for Tom's Life Celebration.

The Celebration went very well with a large meeting and several dinners, all of us trading Tom A stories.
We even walked out as a group to Tom's test root tree - in the rain and cold.

It was good to share about all things Tom A,
but profoundly sad in that the Celebration just cemented our great loss.

Happily Tom's Softies will continue. There will even be a new design choice that I suspect will be very popular.

Stephen

Goodness, I only just saw this thread. I am deeply saddened by this, almost in tears. I've always enjoyed reading Tom's posts over the years, and my long-time camera dealer met him a few times. One such time was in Germany, where they bumped into each other while waiting for a secondhand Leica dealer to return to his shop.

My deepest sympathies to Tuulikki and all who were close to Tom. Another great one passes into the next life.

Back