RIP Tom A

4/13/17

I've just returned home after 8 days in mostly rainy Vancouver for Tom's Life Celebration.

The Celebration went very well with a large meeting and several dinners, all of us trading Tom A stories.
We even walked out as a group to Tom's test root tree - in the rain and cold.

It was good to share about all things Tom A,
but profoundly sad in that the Celebration just cemented our great loss.

Happily Tom's Softies will continue. There will even be a new design choice that I suspect will be very popular.

Stephen

I saw the pictures
A lovely gesture ....

4/13/17

I've just returned home after 8 days in mostly rainy Vancouver for Tom's Life Celebration.

Stephen

For those of us unable to attend in person I was pleased you were able to, it is hard to celebrate a passing but few in our corner of the world made as large an impact for good as Tom, indeed a life well lived.

Test Root Group Pic in cold, windy, rainy Vancouver

Test Root Group Pic in cold, windy, rainy Vancouver

testroot800.jpg

pic by and copyright David Moxey

Thanks you guys for doing this and I am glad you took that group shot around Tom's roots.
I wish I could have been there too.

I was away from RFF for many months and just learned of Tom's passing.

I am gutted - Tom was always gracious and kind in our dealings, and I always enjoyed our infrequent interactions. I have been trying to get to Vancouver to spread a portion of my wife's ashes and had been hoping on meeting up with Tom while I was in town, but I waited too long.

Rest in peace, Tom - I'll think of you and smile whenever I grab my M6 and go shooting. Deepest condolences to Tuulikki.

I just heard of the news ... he was a great guy and a stone in the community, he will be missed

O SON OF THE SUPREME! I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom?
Bahá’u’lláh

Loved your passion for photography and pipe smoking, Tom! I do send you good mojo with a M2 + 35/1.4 mm combo and great tobaccos to enjoy in a favourite briar. Thanks for the good advice.

I can't believe it...
I was totally away from RFF for some months or a year, and just a moment ago I found out he passed away...
This is so sad! He was an amazing human being... So unique and warm!
I will miss his posts deeply!
Once he sent me a set of Leica filters as a gift, and I still think about that often, as it was so unexpected and so kind of him... He's really made me think a lot...
Tom, thanks for your sweet words of encouragement, and for your infinite knowledge sharing, and thank you very much for helping design the gear I use and love...
You really touched my mind and my heart. Good luck with your new path... Hope you're having all the fun you deserve!
Juan Valdenebro.

I took a hiatus from RFF due to personal reasons, and recently came back because I love this community and photography, only to learn of Tom's passing. I never met him in person, but he was always such a kind person on the boards and a wealth of information for the community. He is greatly missed by many people who never physically met him, yet were touched by his presence. The world needs more Tom Abrahamssons.

Tom was one cool dude.

Been some time since we lost him, and I still think of him often while here at RFF.

Tom was one cool dude.

Been some time since we lost him, and I still think of him often while here at RFF.

Same. I have his soft release, grip and now rapidwinder. Any search about these kinds of things pointed to his generous posts on the forum. What a kind and knowledgeable guy.

He seemed like such a kind and gentle soul. Every post I read by him seemed apropos and cogent. I am late to the Rapidwinder experience, but I just got one for my M2 and was so impressed that I bought another off eBay for my M6. These are wonderful devices and I will never sell them, but rather pass them on to my son.

I was also lucky enough to find a Tom A memorial softie for each camera. Rest in peace, sir.

We need to appreciate such folk while they are around, and it seemed that people here did just that.

Back