Rollei C35 with color

Biplano

Local time
8:40 AM
I would like to know more about the Rollei C35 that I was able to purchase recently. It is one with an orange artificial leather covering on the front and the back. Is this a special edition? Is there a way to figure this out by means of the seiral number: 5081142. I do not find any pictures of a colored C35 camera.

I would like to use it next to the Rollei 35S camera. The C35 is a bit ligher and I do not need a lightmeter.Thanks!

Attachments

• Rollei C35.jpg
    Rollei C35.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
Are you sure this special color leatherette is factory made? Could have been black and then replaced (Aki Asahi or other places were offering custome made leatherette for Rollei 35).

According to Prochnow (Rollei Report 3, p725 Rollei made small batches of 100pcs in four different leatherette colors for marketing tests, but all of these had black metal parts. The number of your model indicates a production date in the first half of 1970.
Udo Afalter (25 Jahre Rollei 35) shows different colored Rollei C35 models and states editions of 1000 - 2000, all with black metal parts too.

They were introduced the same time as the Rollei B35. Same feature set except no built in transfer-the-reading meter. Introduced as a cheaper alternative to the regular Rollei 35.
I had a B35, it was as close as could be to a shirt pocket 35mm camera that had full manual exposure control. Later the Olympus XA series were as compact, but only had automatic and if the battery or circuit board died so did the camera. I’ve read (on the internet, so due caution as to validity) that the weak point in the B and C models was a nylon gear in the advance mechanism. But I imagine if used carefully it should be fine.

Edit; Almost forgot, a lower spec triplet lens, but who expects to use a f3.5 with a 1/30 second lowest shutter speed as a low light shooter anyway. Mine delivered fine negs in normal shooting apertures.

Yeah, the only advantage to the XA is the lens quality, the rangefinder for accurate focussing and being aperture priority but some would add that they are easy to get repaired and the repairs don't cost an arm and a leg.

That's based on experience dating back to the late 70's and not based on something I read on the internet.

Regards, David

The leatherette seems to be peeling and the 'C 35' logo doesn't seem straight. I think it was an aftermarket job.

Also, if I had a working C35, I don't think I would use it. They are quite collectible and rare. Instead, find a B35 as a user and just don't use the meter, which will likely not work anyway.

The 40/3.5 Zeiss Triotar lens is an interesting one. It is razor sharp in the center, but soft on the edges. I find I don't immediately notice the softness, except in landscape and cityscapes. It is quite flattering for portraiture where the subject is in the center of the frame. Being only a 3 element lens, is is nice & contrasty. I find that I don't have to boost contrast in post-processing compared to fancy 5, 6 and 7-element primes.

Back