rx1 vs m9 with 35 mm

m9 loses in every aspect if you ask.. But it sometimes does render colors in a more unique way. If you buy M9 try stick with newest 35 summicron asph. I did side by side comparing tests using zm35/2, rx1 is better hands down
Trust technology, digital era do not buy old stuff lol

Hi Joe

Have you tried a Ricoh GR ?
It might really surprise you.
If you're looking to freshen up your interest and eye with new gear it may really do the trick.
A great little camera with killer IQ and... one that does not break the bank!

IMO the GR, RX1 and M9 offer significantly different shooting experience, so they cannot really be compared to one another directly. I agree with your recommendation that Joe should at least take a look at the GR/Coolpix A, though, since it is a rather unique and nice experience.

The RX1R is about the maximum amount of versatility in a fixed prime body. Compromises are there (the complex menus), but it handles high iso, has extremely detailed output at lower iso levels, can have OOF when you want it, and is borderline pocketable...The GR and Coolpix A are all about discreetness and speed in street photography. It cries to be used pre-focused and at waist level, discreetly snapping away in the city. But if you want to set up and focus each shot, both can be a bit on the slow side. 28mm FOV can also be a bit wide as an all-purpose travel camera.

So the question might come down to how much street photography is involved, and how one shoots street in general.

Hi Victor

I agree the GR does not really compare to either the RX1 or M9.
Maybe a bit to the RX1 as a af LCD screened P+S (no built in OVF or EVF).
It's a great creative tool though and has invigorated the wide FOV for me.
As you say. It's very much tailored for street photography and waist level use.
Easy to pre-focus and does a great job create beautiful flexible Hi-IQ RAW files and, very nice ooc jpegs (although I always shoot RAW).

Cheers

as others have said, the rx1 is only sensible if you'll be good with shooting a fixed lens camera versus the flexibility you have with your fuji set-up. attractive concept in its simplicity, but not for me unless i could have several rx1 bodies with, say, 21/35/75 lenses on them.

Hi Joe

Have you tried a Ricoh GR ?
It might really surprise you.
If you're looking to freshen up your interest and eye with new gear it may really do the trick.
A great little camera with killer IQ and... one that does not break the bank!

i had the original grd digital…great little camera! loved the snap focus...

The latest apsc model might blow your mind. Same size as all of the other GRd's with a large sensor. The files are wicked good!

i should look into it…have not been following amything but fuji lately.
also thinking of putting a roll of film in my old oly 35rc for the heck of it...

Maybe another camera?

I'm looking at the Panasonic LX100 as my next one. Seems to be getting very good reviews

lx100-pr.jpg

DON

...but i get bored and want to try something else...

It's always fun to read these sorts of threads. Everyone will recommend either what they own or what they personally prefer and defend it to the death. :) That's understandable, it's human nature (I sometimes get caught up in it all, too.) But we also all know that every one of the cameras mentioned here are highly capable of producing exceptional imagery and with only nuanced differences (and with differences that the viewer will never notice or care about; it's only the photographer him/herself who might notice or care about. :))

imho, the answer to these sorts of 'dilemmas' (and the cure for 'boredom of the gear') is just grab something that works (none will be 'perfect' anyway) and dive into a long term project with a major end product in mind (exhibition, grant proposal, book, web production, etc..) When the energy goes in that direction then the camera 'disappears' and the g.a.s. disease goes away. :)

It's always fun to read these sorts of threads. Everyone will recommend either what they own or what they personally prefer and defend it to the death. :) That's understandable, it's human nature (I sometimes get caught up in it all, too.) But we also all know that every one of the cameras mentioned here are highly capable of producing exceptional imagery and with only nuanced differences (and with differences that the viewer will never notice or care about; it's only the photographer him/herself who might notice or care about. :))

imho, the answer to these sorts of 'dilemmas' (and the cure for 'boredom of the gear') is just grab something that works (none will be 'perfect' anyway) and dive into a long term project with a major end product in mind (exhibition, grant proposal, book, web production, etc..) When the energy goes in that direction then the camera 'disappears' and the g.a.s. disease goes away. :)

Well said.

Or, lacking motivation for a serious project, fool around with "not-so-serious" stuff: box/toy cameras, pinhole, Polaroid/Instax, flatbed scanner as still life camera, one of those build-your-own large format kits... :)

Modern digital cameras are boring by their very nature – with each technological and ergonomical improvement, they grow more predictable, dependable. There's little room for surprise. You push the button and you know pretty much exactly what you're going to get. This is excellent news for production/professional work, but not so great for play. Jumping from one camera to another similar one will buy you a couple of months worth of gear-related excitement and then you'll gradually settle into boredom and/or GAS pains again. Seriously – my recommendation is not to look for some new approximation of perfection in expensive gear but to allow some elements of chance, play, surprise in your process.

Wow I very much like 'ottluuk' perspective and quite abit of truth to
"there's little room for surprise"
"my recommendation is not to look for some new approximation for perfection in expensive gear but to allow some elements of chance,play, surprise in your process"

Damn you 'ottluuk' , Where were You when I bought the M-E :eek:

Great outlook !

been thinking about selling my gear and going with an m9 and 35 mm lens...but then got to thinking about a used sony rx1... much the same thing, no? full frame, very small, excellent 35 mm lens attached...

thoughts?

To my mind it's a no brainer.

RX1r is one trick pony with many annoyances. MF is terrible on the thing. EVF or LCD gives me headaches.

For pure photography the M9 is the best digital camera ever made by anyone anywhere. Finally many can afford it. I've had mine for nine months and now wince at using the A7.

Yes, at f/2 35mm RX1 makes good images. It's also very compact, which is great. Not comparable really to a platform tuned to the best glass in the world 12 to 135mm, from 1932 to 2014 :)

I love her:

DSC02767 by unoh7, on Flickr

Wow I very much like 'ottluuk' perspective and quite abit of truth to
"there's little room for surprise"
"my recommendation is not to look for some new approximation for perfection in expensive gear but to allow some elements of chance,play, surprise in your process"

Damn you 'ottluuk' , Where were You when I bought the M-E :eek:

Great outlook !

Indeed, this concept is why I have both excellent, modern digital and film gear as well as a closet full of old Polaroids, 'toy' cameras, and pinhole oddities. Even good film and digital cameras can be urged into a certain amount of variability by stressing the recording medium to its limits.

It's all good. Don't regret your M-E! :)

G

Or, lacking motivation for a serious project, fool around with "not-so-serious" stuff: box/toy cameras, pinhole, Polaroid/Instax, flatbed scanner as still life camera, one of those build-your-own large format kits... :)

Modern digital cameras are boring by their very nature – with each technological and ergonomical improvement, they grow more predictable, dependable. There's little room for surprise. You push the button and you know pretty much exactly what you're going to get. This is excellent news for production/professional work, but not so great for play. Jumping from one camera to another similar one will buy you a couple of months worth of gear-related excitement and then you'll gradually settle into boredom and/or GAS pains again. Seriously – my recommendation is not to look for some new approximation of perfection in expensive gear but to allow some elements of chance, play, surprise in your process.

when bored with my current kit i tend to pull out the little zoom (24-70 equiv.) and play with it…i almost always come home with at least one shot i like.

15555755239_b1293930f7_c.jpg
[/url]11.08.14.xe1.16-50.snow bike by back alley images, on Flickr[/IMG]
from yesterday, morning snow storm...

Back