RX1 vs Ricoh GR II

jnalepa

Local time
11:41 AM
I know they're two very different cameras, both with their own strengths, but if you were given the option of buying one used for a fair price, which would you go with?

RX1 with EVF for $1200 USD or Ricoh GR II for $400?

I do a lot of street photography, mostly with film cameras (Bessa R, Leica IIIC, Fuji GS645s), so I'm not sure I would replace that experience for digital, but I've yet to use either of these cameras so any input would be appreciated.

Can you tell more about your reasons to choose just this two models and not one of hundreds of other digital cameras?

All your film cameras are rangefinders. In my opinion the shortest way to go digital would be trying a digital rangefinder.
And to use some of your lenses in addition.

They are very different, as you say. I personally feel the RX1 is a much better camera in most ways, and going prices reflect that, but probably not for street. Though any camera can be made for "street" depending on how a given person defines "street".
So different, get both as they hardly overlap:)
Basically, having had both, I really don't know how to answer this question in a helpful way for someone else, sorry. Like most camera questions, only actually owning and using one for protracted periods of time will sort that out.

My reasons for getting the camera would be to have a digital backup when travelling, mostly. As I said, I enjoy shooting film for street photography, but the Ricoh has me tempted as a bring everywhere camera and the B&W photos I've seen from it remind me very much of film. I know the RX1 isn't pocketable, but the results from the lens make it seem like an interesting option for a smaller package with more rounded capabilities (portrait, macro, street, landscape, travel, bokeh stuff, etc.).

I am also just considering getting both, but my wallet wouldn't be very happy with me.

I know they're two very different cameras, both with their own strengths, but if you were given the option of buying one used for a fair price, which would you go with?

RX1 with EVF for $1200 USD or Ricoh GR II for $400?

Fujifilm X100F... hate Sony (and this particular one has slow AF) and the Ricoh needs an updated sensor and low light AF IMO.

I love and use Fujis for the majority of my photography. That said, the Ricoh is sorta amazin'. It's easy to take for granted since it's a little on the homely side but once you get acquainted with it and begin shooting B&W with it you'll find your jaw has dropped an inch or two in astonishment. Can't say I'm that impressed with the Ricoh's colors but it shines in monochrome. And, damn, but that's a fine lens!

I would consider a used GRII for 400 bucks to be a fair deal as long as it's in good shape and doesn't have the "dust on sensor" syndrome that afflicts some GRs.

Sony? Never used one. I'm sure they're good cameras--everybody makes good cameras today. But for $1200, I can't imagine it's three times better than the Ricoh.

But for $1200, I can't imagine it's three times better than the Ricoh.

Hmmm, well, in some ways it can be. The Ricoh GR sensor was implemented 5 years ago and was already a little old at the time. While the lens in the GR is great, the Sony is even better... and faster. It really depends on what you expect. Not to mention the focal length difference.

I have the RX1 and GR (as well as a GRD3, my gateway drug to Ricoh Street digital).

If it’s about street shooting, you *may* find the GR’s advantage to be snap focus + a good 28 or 35mm OVF, and can presumably change the snap focus distances on the fly via FN assignment. I think a lot of GR street photographers, though, are happy to shoot from the hip or chest or even over the shoulder like Annie Oakley, with little reference to the screen—being more attentive to their framing/grip savvy, or frankly cultivating off-axis framing.

Yes, the RX can be prefocused/scale-focused in M mode, and you can sub a 35 OVF to avoid the tiny-TV-syndrome of the EVF brought quickly to the eye. (This is not how or why I use it, though; I like its Sonnar lens and FF sensor with plenty of headroom to push the files, and treat it as a more compositional/less improvisatory instrument than the GR.)

John makes a point about, if not a case for, the X100f. With its hybrid finder and film-style manual controls, it would feel the most like a IIIc for the post-Jetsons set. Good luck.

I own both, and I have been using both for years but I can't really say one wins over the other. RX1's image quality keeps blowing me away, it has that sort of cinematic, analog medium format look, but then the GR is sleek and sexy and you can slide it in your pocket and the images I get from it are nothing short of amazing.

What I do recently is to bring my RX1 along when I go on holiday or on dedicated photo walks, whereas my GR sits confortably in my backpack at all other times, ready to be used when the occasion demands it.

I don't do much street but here are a couple of samples:

RX1
27226234408_b4ae6149b1_c.jpg

GR
27226401938_bdb82c32a1_c.jpg

... The Ricoh GR sensor was implemented 5 years ago and was already a little old at the time. ...

True. It is sensor from 2013.

and

The Sony RX1 sensor was also implemented more than 5 years ago.
RX1 has limited version of sensor from 2012 DeSLR camera.

In no way does age preclude the ability to produce beautiful art.

Not at all, nor does paper and a pencil. However, based on which other cameras you have used in recent years, it could not meet some expectations. Of course if it was good enough to make images 5 years ago, it is never not going to be good enough. BUT human expectations might cause you to see some limitations based on what you may be used to.

RX1 has limited version of sensor from 2012 DeSLR camera.

Right, but being FF and arguably the best sensor of its time has made it age better. The GR sensor is like what was used in the Nikon D7000. Depending on what you are used to... it could be disappointing. However, if you've never used a CMOS APSC digital...its ability to go to a semi clean 3200 could be a revelation and either camera will be amazing.

...The Ricoh GR sensor was implemented 5 years ago and was already a little old at the time...

That's why when I recently lost my GR I replaced it with an X100F. But I'm looking forward to seeing what Ricoh does with the GR III.

For quick, spontaneous street shooting, I can't imagine better than the GR line.

John

That's why when I recently lost my GR I replaced it with an X100F. But I'm looking forward to seeing what Ricoh does with the GR III.

This is my point... the Fuji are so good that I can't get into the Ricoh GR II anymore. The sensor doesn't allow for the type of PP I am into now and the low light AF is appalling. When it came out, most cameras had the same limitations and it was fine, but once you experience more...it is hard to go backwards. That said, if a GR3 never comes... I will get a GR II again. In good light, it is still good enough.

For a long time, I've wanted to snap up an old RX1, but can't stand the idea of using the LCD to compose and the EVF attachment looks pretty kludgy. Plus I once had an RX100 (which I hear is broadly similar in terms of interface) and shooting it felt like using a computer that happened to make images.

In the great, internet tradition of recommending a whole new option: I say go with an X100F, I love mine to death.

I originally had the X100S and when I picked up my first RX1R I thought, what am I doing. The Fuji is so fun to use and makes wonderful images, and enlargements......certainly all I need.

The Sony is special. I still even with the built-in pop-up finder of the Mark II version prefer the X100 or X Pro 2 hybrid finder.

I can't speak to the Ricoh because while I know it's great camera, it never appealed to me personally. That's my purpose in writing here; all good cameras but try for yourself and see what works for you. The RX1R can certainly do "discreet, street" situations like this, or those that Silent1 posted above.

[URL="

Back