RX1 vs Ricoh GR II

I'm using CMOS APSC sensor from 2008 with semi clean 12800. :)

We have different expectations though... you don't even use the highest files size on your camera because 8x10" is good enough. However, I have different needs / wants.

I sometimes like to print big...even 24x36". I sometimes like to pull shadows in creative ways. I sometimes like to photograph handheld at night. etc. etc.

'Course I'm still using my X100S and lovin' it. None of my cameras are current... except for the GRII which we now have declared to be obsolete by modern standards.;)

New stuff is exciting and interesting. I like reading about what equipment people use and how they use it. But I'm retired and my income doesn't allow constant gear upgrades. I'm kinda old myself and I'm fine with older stuff as long as it fits my needs, gets the job done and does the job well enough to suit me. For my purposes, I don't need the newest or the best cameras.

But don't let me stop you guys from buying all that nice new gear. After a while, you'll upgrade to the next new stuff and sell that now obsolete gear to guys like me at a bargain.

Come on... I'm not saying I couldn't use these cameras, but I've been a little spoiled by what my newer cameras offer (and by newer I mean my 2 year old fuji). I also cannot upgrade all of the time and like to buy used. But you can buy a camera that is 1 year old for half price in digital. I'm just saying that the Ricoh GR is a great camera that does show some age (being 5 years old). We do not all photograph the same things the same way. If you only photograph in the sun, or have patience to focus in low light, it is still a great camera. But there is nothing wrong with letting a potential buyer know what they are buying.

My reasons for getting the camera would be to have a digital backup when travelling, mostly. As I said, I enjoy shooting film for street photography, but the Ricoh has me tempted as a bring everywhere camera and the B&W photos I've seen from it remind me very much of film. I know the RX1 isn't pocketable, but the results from the lens make it seem like an interesting option for a smaller package with more rounded capabilities (portrait, macro, street, landscape, travel, bokeh stuff, etc.).

I am also just considering getting both, but my wallet wouldn't be very happy with me.

I've never owned a Sony... just about everything else, but I can speak to the Ricoh GR. I converted to digital from film after moving away from a darkroom... I just could never come to terms with the agonizing process of scanning film. That said, I never felt like any of the digital cameras (pro nikons, canons, pentax, fujis etc.) that I used ever came close to BW film, or a silver gelatin print for that matter... until the Ricoh GR. I saw some images on flickr that made my jaw drop and I bought one that day. Aside from my Leica M8, the GR sensor puts out the closest thing to 35mm black and white film I've been able to find in a digital camera. In terms of film experience, the M8 is the closest thing to shooting film. You can setup the GR to shoot pretty close to a 35mm compact though.

For reference, everything on my website has either been shot with a GR, or the M8:

www.jaythomasneely.com

Back