S2 foggy viewfinder

bbutterfield

Bruce
Local time
7:57 PM
Just obtained a beautiful black dial S2 with an equally gorgeous f1.4 Nikkor SC in excellent mechanical condition. The only issue is the viewfinder; it is usable but it looks like it could use a cleaning. Kind of frustrating because the 1.0 mag finder is one of the reasons I bought the camera in the first place; the camera is definitely usable but not ideal. For what it’s worth the rangefinder patch is fine.

How difficult is it to pop the top and access the viewfinder interior? I have only beginners skill in camera repair (managed to fix some 120 folder shutters) and I have the idea that Nikons require specialized tools and knowledge. Not sure it’s worth paying for a full CLA since the finder is the only issue I’d like to get fixed.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

I'm sure there are other experts here on the forum, but Richard Haw's site is a good place to start. He has a 5-part repair series starting with a front overhaul, but you can scroll to the bottom of the post for Parts 1-4:

Do you know where the haze has built up? With mine, it was usually between the optics and outer cover glass. That was fairly easy.
One catch: The screws are soft metal and will strip easily. Have a screwdriver that fits the head completely. Use some lighter fluid or alcohol to loosen the screw if it gives any resistance.

It's hard to tell exactly where the haze is coming from other than it isn't external. Thus the need to open up the top cover.

I have a good set of screwdrivers but I'm mostly concerned about the A/R lock ring which according to Haw's description requires a special tool. I don't have any kind of shop tools so making my own is probably not feasible. I do see that there is such a beast available from Polar Bear camera in the UK for around $30 which seems reasonable. How did you remove the ring?

Think twice, thrice
most people will screw up the cleaning and damage the camera
since there are no repair parts available other than other S2's
its a better decision for most to send classic cameras to professional repair.

of course many won't believe that until they have a basket case of parts they can't put back together again

that is when they send it off to repair shops to find out most techs won't waste their time repairing cameras for DIYS attempts.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you; it's more a matter of cost vs. value (as usual.) Any suggestions for competent repair shops (or pointers to exiting threads on such?

Try Zacks ....he abandoned his shop but is pretty good at just about everything. To prove that he fixed several people's light leak on M5 when nobody else could.

Back