Sad News--Roger Hicks

stevierose

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Local time
2:40 AM
I reached out to Roger Hicks because he had kind of disappeared over the last few months, and I'm sad to say that he told me that he has advanced cancer and a few weeks to perhaps only a few days to live. This was sad news for me as I have learned a great deal from the writings of Roger and his wife, Frances, over the decades in the form of the their books, articles, and web presence, and we have been communicating by email occasionally for awhile. Besides being a loss to Frances and his friends and family, this will be the loss of a lifelong advocate for film photography.

Steve Rosenblum
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Last edited:
I've enjoyed his writings both here and on his and Francis' website. I, for one, will miss his presence enormously.

That is such terrible news. I had a private conversation with him in November answering my photographic questions. I always thought of him as a pillar in this community. His contributions will be terribly missed. This makes me feel really sad.

Shocking news. My heart goes out to Frances. I hope you are as comfortable as is possible Roger.

I've read all of your books and enjoyed greatly your wise presence on the web. Your open-minded approach to life and photography is an inspiration.

Yes, I appreciate the post too. Very sad indeed.

Thoughts and prayers to Roger, his kin, and close friends.

This is very sad news. I have enjoyed his posts on RFF and feel as I have learned from him. My thoughts and prayers go out to Rodger and his family. - jim

It is very sad news, thank you for posting this stevierose.

Thank you so much Roger for the countless years of knowledge and inspiration.

I have learned so much from you.

cheers, michael

I'm sorry. I can't think of anything else to say.

With best regards and best wishes to Roger and Frances,

Pfreddee(Stephen)

Sad news, indeed. However, it is comforting to know that Roger seems to have lived a very good life, doing what he loved with his wife, Frances.

In case you're reading this, Roger...

Thank you VERY much for your personal, sincere and honest approach to photography, and mentoring on photography. Though I wasn't able to read all your books, I enjoyed the ones I managed to find, and I was very truly happy that you came to post so often here at RFF. Be sure that you have always been appreciated, truly respected and admired for your lifelong work and your generosity to others. Again, thank you very much, Roger.

Thanks for posting. I always enjoyed Roger's suffer no fools approach and learned a lot from his books, website, and his occasionally cantankerous replies right here. A life well lived! Cheers to that!

OMG, I am so sorry. I love Roger, not only for the knowledge he so generously shared with us here on the forum, but also for his wit, which will be so missed.

Sending positive energy your way Roger.

Best,
-Tim

I very much enjoyed his book "A History of the 35mm Still Camera". This was the beginning of my interest in the technical development of cameras.

Thank you so much, Roger.

Erik.

Thanks op for letting us know. Like others, am sad to learn about this. Hope he is not in great pains :(

Always sad to hear this kind of news. I poke my head in here now and then, enough to know that Roger is one of the greats here. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Back