Salvaging my Nikon 1 gear in a family camera role

Ken Ford

Refuses to suffer fools
Local time
8:43 AM
I was an early adopter of Nikon 1 with a V1 kit, 10 and 30-110. IQ has always been great, but the V1's UI drives me nuts - I think it's really poorly thought out (the function button, the damn back controller, the mandatory image review, etc.) So, the kit has pretty much sat on the shelf, if I have more than 500 frames through it I'd be surprised.

Anyways, now that I'm seriously dating I have a need for a decent family camera - you know, the gear you use when you don't want to carry much. I was considering an LX100 or a D-Lux but the cost scares me a little.

I'm thinking about moving out the V1's body in favor of a used V2. I'd even consider a V3 but it seems hard to find used ones with the EVF and grip but no kit lens.

Who here has experience with both the V1 and V2? Would I gain much usability with a V2 over a V1, or would I do better just offloading all the N1 gear in favor of an LX100 or similar?

The V2 arrived today. I forgot to bring a memory card or lens, but my first impression is quite favorable.

Hi Ken, didn't see this thread till just now. I've had a couple of V2 bodies now for three years. For me, they're just like mini-Nikon DSLR's. I use them extensively, even for paid work, and other than a bit of problem with a few lenses, they have performed well. For a "family" camera I think you can't go wrong.

TJ, can you help me understand or point me to a good site to read about the differences between bodies and lenses?

My wife is looking for a Puppy/Dog/Family camera that is low cost and good at capturing images of fast moving subjects (Puppies and Dogs, I no long move fast) for posting on the Net. While IQ is important, not to the same level that I would want for my main camera.

I was thinking of a Fuji XM-1 with the 16-50 but can't find any used.

Any thoughts?

B2 (;->

This is the only site I know dedicated specifically to the Nikon 1 camera system. Any question you can imagine has probably already been asked here.

DP Review: Nikon 1

The big advantage to the Nikon 1 system is that it has phase detection auto focus, which is much faster and more accurate than the contrast detection auto focus you find on most compacts. The one caveat is low light, where the phase detection cuts out and contrast detection substitutes.

The prime lenses are better than the zooms, as far as sharpness and brightness (apertures ranging from f1.2 to f2.8 as opposed to the zooms which have a f3.5-5.6 aperture). The brighter the lens, the lower the light situations where phase detection still works.

Overall a nice camera system. Looks to be discontinued though, so that's a bummer.

Best,
-Tim

The 32mm and 18mm primes are superb lenses by almost any standard ( 85mm and 50mm equivalents, more or less). The EVF on the V1 was, I thought, much better and much better implemented than the add on Sony EVF for the RX1 which everybody raved about. I thought the add on EVF for the V2 was so clunky it made the V2 a non starter for me. Out of all three 1 series bodies, I thought the V1 was by far the nicest to use, but obviously not a unanimous opinion.
Focus not only faster than my D800 was (really!) it is accurate too.
Plus, with the Aptina sensor you can do some really cool 4K video tricks (too hard to explain, but google it).
Shame no one bought these, cult fave, and small cult at that.

I agree with Larry, optically the 18.5 and 32 are superb. Unfortunately, in my experience, the 32 has an issue with the aperture optics group (the group of lenses, aperture blades, and electronics at the rear of the lens). Mine died on me in the middle of a shoot (aperture closed down and wouldn't open back up). Luckily it was still under warranty, and when I sent it in for repair (to an electronics company near Chicago where Nikon sends all the Nikon 1 stuff in the US for service) they generously offered to inspect all my Nikon 1 lenses, (10mm, 18.5mm, 30-110 zoom) and found focus issues with all three. Everything was repaired under warranty, but now I'm not so confident in using them for paying work.

I'm glad to find other people that see value in the N1 system. It's not going to replace my DSLRs or RFs but it's much more capable than pocket cameras.

I just had a play with the V2 and my three lenses. I updated the firmware and tested it out - everything seems fine. And the V2 is much closer to what I wanted to see in a N1 body. Yes, the VF isn't as nice as the V1 but all in all I'm optimistic this is going to work.

Back