Sandisk 8GByte Extreme Pro: will not work with my EP-2, CX-1, or WIN7 machine.

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
6:11 PM
So my Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GByte SDHC card arrived.

I used it in the M8, before trying in the M9. The latter is where the problems were reported. With the M8: Filled the buffer, deleted images. reviewed images, repeated for 420MBytes of continuous fire. I never put the card into my M9. This card is a disaster.

I could read and review on the M8. So I loaded the card into my HP pavillion G7 running Win 7- it would not even recognize the card. Put it into my wife's Dell with Win 7 Pro- files read off the card, saved them. I reformatted the SD card using Win 7. Now- I cannot copy files from the Win 7 machine to it, eject the card, reload the card, and have access to the files. That was after using Windows 7 to format the card.

Something is seriously wrong with the "Proprietary processor" being used in this card.

I would suggest avoiding this until Sandisk gets the problem straightened out.

I'm going to format with the M8 to see what happens.

This card has issues. If only the M9 had problems with it- could be the driver being used in the camera. After seeing the problems occur on the Win7 machine, using the FORMAT command on the WIN7 machine, and getting "write-Only" files- problem. The "Scan for Errors" box comes up when inserting the card, and the card comes up as not having any files on it with 7.38GBytes free.

Very Dull Hammer.

Last edited:
formatted it in the m8, wrote files to it with the Del Win7 pro machine- ejected, reloaded. Card showed up as empty. Took the "supposed to be empty" card to the M8, the M8 could not write files to it. Reformatted in the M8- then could use the card and see the results on the camera, but not on the computer.

I'll contact Sandisk with the results. You would think there card would work on a Windows 7 computer. It does not, I've tried it with Three Computers now.

Will try with the Olympus EP2.

Last edited:
i use that card in my x100...no problems to report thus far...

There are different Rev levels of hardware, and some people have no problems with the card, others see the reported problems. Sandisk buys hardware and puts there label on it. I wonder if the supplier is different.

This is the only card that I've used that will not work with a Windows computer after formatting with the computer.

I'm doing a low-level format using a Sandisk USB SD card reader with the HP g7 computer.

and got "Windows was unable to complete the format"...

Last edited:
And wrote 800MBytes to the Sandisk, could read the files until the disk was ejected and reloaded. The disk is empty.

This is after attempting the low-level format with Win7.

I'm trying a low-level reformat with the Win7 Pro Dell.

That will take a while.

This is really a Secure Card.

Only write files to it that you do not want ANYONE to be able to access.

I have two 8GB Sandisk Extreme Pro cards and no trouble at all using either. Like Back Alley above I'm using them in a Fujifilm X100. Read and write on both Linux and Windows -- mostly Windows reads -- I'm feeding Adobe Lightroom with files created on the X100.

I format the card using the X100 only.

A number of weeks and thousands of RAW+JPEGs later and no issues whatsoever on either card.

The card failed to do a low-level format with Windows XP, and Scandisk failed to perform on it.

I put the card into the Ricoh CX-1 P&S: After using the FORMAT for the card, the number of shots remaining on the card shows up as zero and the camera wants a new card inserted.

The Lock switch is in the UP, unlocked position.

The Olympus EP-2 gives a "Card Error" when writing to the card or attempting to format the card.

I use a Sandisk 4GByte card , SDHC "4" with it.

Went back to the M8: format runs on the card, "734" pictures come up as available for use. The camera locks up with it now, have to remove the battery and remove the card.

SO: The fact that the card cannot be reformatted with Windows 7 Home, Windows 7 Pro, and Windows XP is strange to say the least. I use format on PCMCIA cards, CF cards, and SD cards. The Ricoh and Olympus refuse to work with it. The SD port of my HP Pavillion G7 refused to recognize the card at all, but the USB Sandisk card reader on the same computer did recognize it.

I'll contact Sandisk.

I never put this card in my M9.

The problem is this card is not compatible with the FAT 32 standard as defined by Win XP and WIN 7.

I downloaded the SD formatting program from :
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

It cannot format the card, and reports that the card is locked. The switch is in the UNLOCK position, and is reported as such by WIN7. Another card works perfectly in the Sandisk SD card reader with the SD formatter.

This is bizarre.

Files can be written to the card, and opened from it. Some of the files are damaged, some small ones open up. JPEG markers corrupt, some images complete. I just wrote 6GBytes to it. But once the card is ejected and reloaded, the directory structure is gone. One think for sure: the LOCK switch is NOT set, and bytes are being put on the card. Just in the wrong place.

It has to be the logical to physical sector mapping. Just like on an RA81 on the VAX 11/780...

Last edited:
An example of the file saved to the SD card using Photoshop.

attachment.php

Just to show the switch is not set to the lock position. Despite what the offical SD formatting program thinks.

Attachments

• bee_d1.jpg
    bee_d1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
Ran to completion, same as before. Write to the card, eject and re-insert: all files gone.

A Blacked-out Blur. Use this card for Friday Night Party Pictures so they cannot get on the Internet.

we had Pink Flamingoes in the Pool yesterday.

Hi Brian,

That card is not a FAT32 card, those would be for legacy devices, a UHS-1 card like the one you have will be detected and formatted with exFAT (> 4GB file capability), but only with hosts that support exFAT. If it's not formatting with specific utilities to format it in non-native FAT32 mode, then the downwards compatibility of it's UHS-1 interface is not working right, and this has been well documented.

Note that Leica does not have this (or any UHS-1 SD card?) on their compatibility list.

An example of a host that utilizes UHS-1 speeds, and exFAT would be the Nikon D7000.

Kingston has the info. down right here: http://www.kingston.com/press/2010/flash/06a.asp

Sandisk is a bit behind with their compatibility statements...

Last edited:
Back