Servicing a Canon Serenar 85mm f2 lens

Dez

Bodger Extraordinaire
Local time
4:20 AM
I have just scored what looks to be a very good deal on the famous Canon 100mm f2 lens in LTM. To try to keep my excesses to a reasonable level, I now want to sell my lovely old Serenar 85mm f2 lens, which is considerably smaller and heavier than the 100. You could probably run this lens over with a truck without damage. Before I put in into the Classifieds though, I would like to clean some haze around the edge of an element toward the back of the lens, which necessitates removing the optical block from the focusing mount. It probably wouldn't be a significant impediment to image quality, but I'd like to get it right.
Usually I have no trouble doing a simple job like that, but I have not been able to figure out how to get get it out of the mount. I remember Brian Sweeney once mentioning that some Canon lenses are very easy to work on, and that this isn't one of them. I believe him!
Has anyone some advice on how to get that apart? If not, I'll have to list the lens, haze and all. This is NOT the usual place to find haze in a Canon, adjacent to the diaphragm, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Dez

Sometimes I get luckier than I deserve. The crud turned out to be on the OUTER surface of the rear element. It's not all that easy to get past the RF coupling gear to get at this surface to clean it, but a whole lot easier than stripping the whole lens. All clean now and ready to post.

Cheers,
Dez

Back