Settling for Less or Seeing it for more...

Your thread made me realize that I too have a tale to tell.

Last winter, a hit-and-run driver totaled the parked van that I used for my photographic business. Rather than replace it with another working vehicle, I decided to replace it with a Lexus executive coupe because I was considering retiring.

Then the Covid situation started, my photographic business shriveled, and my health deteriorated. Retirement seemed like a good decision.

However, even though I did not need it, I decided to buy a Leica M10 digital rangefinder because I wanted it. I will never recover my financial expenditures for the Lexus and the Leica, but I am happy with my decisions.

Wow, how grand to make it all go your way, with a smile and a great attitude

Enjoy and Create with Miss M10, yum !

Thank You ~

I'm contemplating selling Grandma's old M3 so I can get a new Sony A1.
Do I need help?
Been shooting digital since my Coolpix 995 days. Have shot more digital than film.
I enjoy your pictures Helen. Keep 'em coming.

Godfrey; said:
On the money.

I am motivated, compelled, to make photographs. I enjoy making them with whatever equipment whim, caprice, or necessity deems apropos at the moment I want to make them. Often, it seems the harder the process from vision to finished photograph is, the more fun it is. Other times, my vision is expanded by the ease of using the particular equipment.

I never "leave" some medium or format, to "go to" some other. I think about what I'm trying to achieve and look for whatever might get me there, or I just see something that looks like it might have some interesting qualities that I can utilize and try it out.

Wonderful photos, and I love your Porsche avatar, Helen! Reminds me of another passion that has cropped up of late: I've wanted a Lancia Fulvia coupé since I was 10 years old, and I may just move Heaven, Earth, and my local Bank Manager to fund buying one... LOL!!! What price Art?

:D

G

Lancia Fulvia 1.6HF Fanalone
"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

Very Good philosophy there Godfrey
Very Cool Quote too: "Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure"

Thanks re: my avatar
one very early morning walk down in Chinatown NYC
with Eric, misty, rainy, neopan 1600, 50 summilux pre asph , all made for an atmospheric shot of tres sexy car

Cheers & Thank You ~ HH

Ko.Fe.; said:
I have collection of film cameras. Some are family cameras. It is not big collection. Nothing is expensive.
I'm trying to sell some of it locally. I also have three digital cameras I want to sell.
My wife doesn't like darkroom taken space and me buying film. I'm slowing down on this part.
I like film as the process most.

agreed, the process of film is ever so natural.

Sorry to hear the Mrs does not like the darkroom and your film habit

Good to hear You are still at it...be it film and digi, all Good ~

Cheers and Best ~ HH

I'm contemplating selling Grandma's old M3 so I can get a new Sony A1.
Do I need help?
Been shooting digital since my Coolpix 995 days. Have shot more digital than film.
I enjoy your pictures Helen. Keep 'em coming.

if it gets you taking photos then by all means, go for it !

Cheers and Thank You for noticing my photos ~

Thanks for the kind words...
I am actually quite smitten now that I have done the deed
throw myself in wholeheartedly, do or die, lol

Yes, there are positives about digital that I rarely hear mentioned among the criticisms. Before the advent of digital, when I was shooting 35mm, we used to try our best to minimize grain in order to achieve the look of larger format. 35mm digital can have much of the look of 2 1/4" or larger negatives if handled well, particularly with new sensors that have higher iso capabilities.

Plus I really appreciate the ability to check and fine tune things iike exposure, lighting and composition in the field, something that was impractical if not impossible with film.

And if you can get your digital curves to resemble the response of whatever film type you prefer, the end results of the two processes can look remarkably similar in many instances.

Best of luck on your new journey, Helen. It actually sounds interesting and exciting to me.

I need a camera that can be used in my helmet Helen, in my case it's often the M6 and 50 Sonnar. And it needs to be compact and robust to travel on the motorbike with me, so that prevents taking too much gear.
U51008I1614657960.SEQ.0.jpg

Delta 100 in Xtol
John Mc

^ Robert, you have excellent taste in music. Horses is one of my favorite albums and the cover art has its own story too!

All the best,
Mike

I find myself going backwards in my choice of cameras. I shoot dslrs for work. For myself, it’s all black and white film. Nikon F and F2 with first generation Nikkors or Leica IIIa cameras with pre-war lenses. It helps that I have a purpose built darkroom that has been a refuge this past year. I’m still working at a job I enjoy, running a weekly newspaper in a rural community, so I have been out almost every day during the pandemic.

Don’t talk too loud about those old F’s... they haven’t reached ludicrous prices (yet)

Back