Shooting Eastman (Double-X) 5222 in the Leica

Next roll @ iso400 in HC110 1:60 14 min. "reduced agitation"
Loving this stuff.

canal%20drain%201%20sm.jpg

5222 @320, HC110 1:60, 12m
If someone wouldn't mind commenting, what EI & HC110 cut, are you using in daylight shooting? I would like to experiment with other HC110 dilutions.

orleans%20street%20horn.jpg

5222 @320, HC110 1:60, 12m
If someone wouldn't mind commenting, what EI & HC110 cut, are you using in daylight shooting? I would like to experiment with other HC110 dilutions.

I try to make things easy - I shoot it at 400 in spring & summer and switch to 800 in the fall & winter (Chicago). Diafine is for 800 and HC-110 dil H for 400. 2 developers (both of which keep fresh forever) and 2 speeds.

I bought ten rolls to give it a try. Exposed six and gave four away. I can see the appeal if this is to be your one and only film. Buy 400’, spool it, shoot it for very low cost per roll. I found I prefer the T gain films but glad to have given it a try.

First Luthern Church, SW Park Ave Portland, Oregon

Leica M4, Voigtlander 35 2.0 Ultron ASPH, 022 filter, HC-110B

Loading XX Finally by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've not used my Minoltas for some time now. I checked five or six of them a couple of weeks ago and they are all loaded with Eastman 5222 XX film. A couple of years ago I spooled 100 feet or so into a Lloyds bulk loader and it has sat. This morning I daylight loaded eight 36 exposure rolls and I have another eight to go later today.

After a long hiatus I am getting ready to shoot XX again.

My Fave SRT100 with 85mm F1.7MC and 3D Printed Grip XX Film by Nokton48, on Flickr

My favorite SRT100 with 85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor and 3D printed grip. I used this camera for high school journalism and returned to it after using just about everything. Like an old pair of shoes. Shooting Eastman 5222 XX in these cameras 99% of the time. Made some exposures today with Rokkor YG filter. Really like the 85mm MC F1.7 Rokkor. This camera is covered with Green Kangaroo from CameraLeather. TomA Softie and black hairtie, even with it I still make some accidental exposures! :) A&A Voigtlander short cloth strap

Good to see this thread revived from 2008 - I remember it when it first hit the site!

More of us seem to be returning to shooting B&W film and our darkrooms this year. And it's about time. Old traditional processes come and go and I for one am happy to see home processing of films come back.

The formulas posted by the late Tom A at the start of this thread, are all excellent. I've used them with super good results. The D89 is an interesting variant of the traditional D76 formula and works surprisingly well, but do tests - I use it with various old (= long expired) films including even almost 40-year old Panatomic-X, so I am somewhat wary of posting exact times. With my oldest films adding 20% ensures better contrast. Also surprisingly little fog with D89.

Looking forward to more user notes as we all go about our 'shooting and souping'.

This thread sure has dwindled. I blame the thread itself. Used to be easy to find short ends of 5222, at least before this thread started. I haven't even tried for years now. I am down to one 400' can and then I am out. Not shooting 35mm much these days though so that can might last me a looooong time.

50mm Uncoated Sonnar 1.5, Rodinal 1+50. My notes tell me I shot this at an E.I. of 640.

2021-020-16.jpg

This is from my last stash of Double-X as well. It's not as cheap as it used to be.

AF210617.jpg

AF210636.jpg

Leica IIIc, 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar, Y2 filter.

Outdated XX Borax MQ Aristo #2 RC Multigrade dev by Nokton48, on Flickr

TomA liked this one! :)

Testing my Minolta XK, before it went to Essex (camera came back right before Katrina hit!) 85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor ADOX Borax MQ
Aristo #2 matte RC Multigrade developer. Modern Enlarging System blue LED Mod 2 head

Taken on some XX no doubt OLD; Dichroic fog level fairly high. With short ends you take what you can get. The dichroic fog does jack with the print contrast. Can't get real DMax out of it, but usable This was shot in full key sun around the corner from Midwest Photo Exchange, when they were still on High St.

I have now loaded 100 feet of Eastman 5231 into a black Kodak Daylight Reel (like comes with Kodak 100' rolls), then into my Watson loader. So now I have ten rolls of +X to start shooting. Supposed to be EI 80 (like original +X) but that is for cinema duping applications. I shot a few feet out of 400' roll and it is -way- contrastier than good ole XX.

I've really been digging D23 1:1 one shot spinning on the Unicolor Uniroller. Since this is a soft developer I will try it with the 5231.

XX and now +X :)

I have now loaded 100 feet of Eastman 5231 into a black Kodak Daylight Reel (like comes with Kodak 100' rolls), then into my Watson loader. So now I have ten rolls of +X to start shooting. Supposed to be EI 80 (like original +X) but that is for cinema duping applications. I shot a few feet out of 400' roll and it is -way- contrastier than good ole XX.

I've really been digging D23 1:1 one shot spinning on the Unicolor Uniroller. Since this is a soft developer I will try it with the 5231.

XX and now +X :)

That's interesting. I've shot quite a bit of 7231 (same film, just in 16mm size) in a couple of old 110 cameras I have, and I have not found it to be high contrast at all. I've processed it in HC-110, and D-76 and even in Rodinal (Rodinal being the highest contrast).

Wish I still had a few 400 foot rolls of 5231, but alas, I shot the last I had in 2009.

Best,
-Tim

Back