Washington (state) Shot on Film Store - Go Seattle!

Thanks for reminding me! I passed by on the way back from Snohomish and couldn't believe my eyes. I almost pulled over, but I wasn't driving and it was well after midnight.

Definitely going to make the trek up this week. And believe me, from where i am without a car, it's a trek. It'll be hard not to come home with yet another long-gone system I lusted over years ago..

I stopped by this afternoon, impressive! Better selection of used cameras from what you'll see at the Kent camera shows or even online at KEH. A little on the high side for price but they will take it back. For me this is much better than buying on eBay now that state tax is charged.

For the 110 fans this place is great! The Fukkatsu 110 is the only c41 film I know of in ISO 400 that's available. Good for the Pentax.

One of the reasons for the owner to open a shop like this was the demise of the 120 processing machine at Kenmore Camera, I laughed.

Here are some shots of the film coolers. The owner want to expand the coolers to the size of Yodabashi's. :p

48718681386_f1cf5b4a18_b.jpg

48718853072_9179d73e8e_b.jpg

48718853187_461dced476_b.jpg

48718345798_93dbbf085d_b.jpg

48718345888_e8b3581ea9_b.jpg

just wow!! that last picture of the TLR cameras is just amazing. Hope I live somewhere closer. Live around Calexico,CA, so a 22hrs road trip as per google.

Marcelo

I see Provia and Velvia there. Do you know if they are they available in 120?

They have Provia 400 in 120 format but did not see any Velvia. He is getting more stock of Fuji and he is sourcing it from Japan directly.

And hey! For the 110 camera fans it appears they have some Fukkatsu 110 in both B&W and color negative. Price is under $5 so it might be expired.

Mine came today, and yeah it is almost expired by a year.
I think they should have mentioned that just for transparency.

Still going to use it...

Not connected or sponsored - just a fan:

Just visited "Shot on Film" last Saturday - they are still going strong on Lake City Way in NE Seattle. Moved a few doors down. Definitely worth your time to check it out! They don't really update a website list of inventory - but they always seem to have LOTS of vintage film gear (and film)

4 Leica M3s, a chrome M4-P, in stock right now for example...and several(!) Canon rangefinders - when did you last see those in a store? Along with a sweet Nikon S2. Want to hold it in your hand before you buy an old camera? check it out!

I stopped by last fall while in the area. I found them on Yelp, when I needed some film. Nice store, lots of cameras and a very decent selection of film (plus nice people).

Wonder if it was a different (but close) location (looking at the pictures of the interior). Maybe they just moved things around.

Ok. I think it was the original location still: https://www.shotonfilmstore.com/blogs/news/dont-panic-were-moving

I find it great that a store opens for film users. I hope that other cities will do the same.

+1. Somebody tell them that when they are ready to start a chain, they can open the first one in St. Louis! (Although I imagine Chicago and N.Y. might be more realistic.)

I was there last year, 2021 - there was a camera swap meet in the adjoining building. The swap meet had total nasty broken junk, looked like rejects from the annual PSPGS swap meet in Kent (the last one was in 2019 due to Covid).

Anyway, the store had a nice clean selection behind glass cases. Not quite as large as shown in the previous photos, but enough to hold a film-enthusiast’s interest. I bought a Canon FTbN from them to fill out my collection.

I’ll definitely return, though I’m hoping this April will herald the return of the annual PSPGS show. I remember about 15 years ago, when the show was in Puyallup - it was such a big show with plenty of excellent equipment. I have photos from those shows. I can’t believe all the stuff I passed up at silly low prices - due to people abandoning film cameras for digital.

Was just there mid January. Inventory was pouring in that day (not that I was looking) and good selection of film reasonably priced and some that glazers doesn't stock which is nice!

David

I was there last year, 2021 - there was a camera swap meet in the adjoining building. The swap meet had total nasty broken junk, looked like rejects from the annual PSPGS swap meet in Kent (the last one was in 2019 due to Covid).

Anyway, the store had a nice clean selection behind glass cases. Not quite as large as shown in the previous photos, but enough to hold a film-enthusiast’s interest. I bought a Canon FTbN from them to fill out my collection.

I’ll definitely return, though I’m hoping this April will herald the return of the annual PSPGS show. I remember about 15 years ago, when the show was in Puyallup - it was such a big show with plenty of excellent equipment. I have photos from those shows. I can’t believe all the stuff I passed up at silly low prices - due to people abandoning film cameras for digital.

One of the guys there (I suspect an owner) said he traveled around (maybe even internationally, but certainly in the US) to obtain cameras, so it is not just local junk.

Just to clarify, the “junk” I spotted was at the swap meet next door. The Shot On Film store had nice clean cameras everywhere. I will definitely return there to shop this coming Spring.

By swap-meet junk, what I refer to is what we’ve all seen: cameras with missing knobs or levers, jammed shutters, mirrors, or winding knobs, generally dirty and damaged bodies.

Just to clarify, the “junk” I spotted was at the swap meet next door. The Shot On Film store had nice clean cameras everywhere. I will definitely return there to shop this coming Spring.

By swap-meet junk, what I refer to is what we've all seen: cameras with missing knobs or levers, jammed shutters, mirrors, or winding knobs, generally dirty and damaged bodies.

I did not mean to imply that. Everything I saw in the store looked really clean. I asked and generally it is not restored (basically as-is), but largely looked good. I have seen this at other places. There is no money in restoring old cameras (except maybe a few special cases like Leicas or blads for instance) and trying to retail them at reasonable prices (and the prices were reasonable). I noticed some Exaktas and asked if any of them worked. The guy at the counter said he had a couple that sort of worked, then explained that he cannot guarantee them, and that he is not able to restore them...

I guess that one now buys a used film camera at market price, then has it CLA'd, pushing the overall cost significantly above market value, while significantly enhancing user value. ;)

I've generally been willing to do this - or pay well above market value for a camera already CLA'd.

- Murray

I found it decent, they had some cool stuff, but the person working the store wasn't great. He conversed with someone else who was in the store for way too long a time without acknowledging that I existed, so I had to wait around just to see anything. But that could have been an isolated incident.

Blue Moon Camera in Portland is a similar place. It's maybe a tad smaller but still had a lot of compelling stuff, fewer repeats of the same model than Shot On Film. Highly recommend it if you go down that way sometime. And consider, I live over four hours away from Portland and even further in any other direction to a good camera store, so when I get to visit these shops (Kenmore Camera is good too, I've ended up buying more and better used gear there than Glazier's), it's a special day!

Almost a year later, I went for a second visit to Shot On Film, I'd say the inventory of cameras there has improved. And I had no complaints about the service. So that's good! I picked up a 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 Pentax-F Macro for my film and digital Pentax bodies.

Back