Washington (state) Shot on Film Store - Go Seattle!

They are in north Seattle (Lake City, I think?) and it can take a while to get to them when traffic is bad on interstate 5 (which is very often is).

They are in north Seattle (Lake City, I think?) and it can take a while to get to them when traffic is bad on interstate 5 (which is very often is).
Yes. I drove straight up from Kent (no traffic at the time), then back south near Bellevue and around to SeaTac to get home.

I'm located on Mercer Island, so the 405 is probably a decent option for me, especially when the 5 is crowded. I'll probably give Kenmore Camera a visit pretty soon, so I will try that route.

I'm lucky to live in near enough to the store to visit regularly -- I've purchased several cameras/lenses and lots of film from Ken and his amazing staff over the years. One of Seattle's treasures.

I'm located on Mercer Island, so the 405 is probably a decent option for me, especially when the 5 is crowded. I'll probably give Kenmore Camera a visit pretty soon, so I will try that route.

Ex-Californian? We don’t talk that way ‘round these parts. :)

We have to pay Washington state a ransom before they’ll let us out of town (Gig Harbor).

Ex-Californian? We don’t talk that way ‘round these parts. :)

We have to pay Washington state a ransom before they’ll let us out of town (Gig Harbor).
Yeah, yeah. I haven't grown out of that terminology after 18 years in Oregon, probably never will. Given how much baggage Californians often bring along with them, I'll allow that one indiscretion in memory of my east-of-LA, poor-kid ranch upbringing. It wasn't the worst way to grow up.

I like where we are located now, with about equidistance to the two freeways, and a light rail which will (hopefully!) finish sometime this year. I've been informed several times that they've been saying a year or two out on this light rail for a very long time, but I also read that the holdup here (counter-lawsuit by the city of Mercer Island or something) has been settled with money paid to Sound Transit, so they are apparently free to proceed. We'll see! The bus route is actually quite decent as well. With my SoCal-then-Oregon history, I'm really not accustomed to public transit which works.

Kenmore Camera is a lovely shop with a very kind staff. Lots of used equipment that's pretty reasonably priced and so there's a high turnover. In my mid-20s I missed out on getting a nice Leica CL kit with a leather case and the 40mm and 90mm lenses with caps for $700. Didn't have the money with me but I declined to have them hold it for me. When I changed my mind a few days later and phoned them up it was gone. Sadly, their film costs a bit more than it does ordering from B&H. Haven't yet been to Shot on Film. Both shops tend to be out of my way whenever I've been in the Seattle area these past few years. But you should definitely go! One time I went I stopped by Third Place Books on my way out of town, in a mall a bit further down Bothell Way NE and found a copy of Mark Riboud's Photographs at Home and Abroad with very light water damage for only $7.

Yeah, yeah. I haven't grown out of that terminology after 18 years in Oregon, probably never will.

LOL. My aunt in Palm Springs always says “the 10” and it sounds so funny. As a person whose always been fond of languages and linguistics, one of my side-interests are the local “shibboleths“ that outsiders stumble on. You would laugh at the way I first pronounced the town of Sequim. I was instantly reprimanded by a native.

. With my SoCal-then-Oregon history, I'm really not accustomed to public transit which works.

I lived in Southern California for over 20 years and never had a car. I took the bus to UCLA, to work, and elsewhere. It was tedious at best. Not surprisingly, I made use of my riding time to scout things to photograph.

Next time I go to the Shot On Film store, I’ll have to grab a nearby snack:

FB725610-18B0-40AA-B8BF-10CC87AE7903.jpeg

LOL. My aunt in Palm Springs always says “the 10” and it sounds so funny. As a person whose always been fond of languages and linguistics, one of my side-interests are the local “shibboleths“ that outsiders stumble on. You would laugh at the way I first pronounced the town of Sequim. I was instantly reprimanded by a native.

I lived in Southern California for over 20 years and never had a car. I took the bus to UCLA, to work, and elsewhere. It was tedious at best. Not surprisingly, I made use of my riding time to scout things to photograph.

Next time I go to the Shot On Film store, I’ll have to grab a nearby snack:

View attachment 4815335
I always find it funny when I recognize that I have a distinctively Californian colloquialism, because I always thought of California as being an exceedingly generic place: no distinctive accent, the land of TV and movies and therefore the exporter of a certain way of talking. Of course, I lived well outside of the communities like surfers or valley girls or any of the other highly affected subcultures. Also lived well away from public transit coverage (although I remember watching the speedy MetroLink trains and wishing I could ride them).

Shot on Film is definitely in a colorful area. I feel like the neighborhood might have some good street photography opportunities.

Shot on Film is definitely in a colorful area. I feel like the neighborhood might have some good street photography opportunities.
I've passed through Lake City exactly once, coincidentally to get from the UW Medical Center to Kenmore Camera one summer afternoon. The farmers market we had to wade through and around to get to Bothell Way NE looked like an excellent event for street photography.
When and where the Lake City Farmers Market is held

Last edited:
Back