Show Off Your Nikon RF

I saw it on eBay...saw the serial number and had to have it. Probably need a half case for it if I'm going to make photographs with it. I'm not going to just sit it on a shelf. The viewfinder is nice and clear. The back is tight. I noticed the indicator arrow for shutter speeds is not quite on the number. No problem really. It is really interesting to see the differences between this S2 and my S3.

Finally I've found an early All black Nikkor 50mm f/1.4.

As you can read in the books by Bob Rotoloni, these are rather special light weight lenses. These "early black" lenses weigh one third less than the normally produced lenses. The first series is from 1953, so well before the appearance of the black Nikon S2, and in about 400 pieces. At that time the Nikon S was produced. The black Nikon S is extremely rare, only a few were made, so why the early all black Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 was made? Only because of the lower weight?

It is possible that Nikon had plans for a small series of Nikon S cameras in black, but that these plans were cancelled because the S2 was well underway. It can be that at that moment the order to produce the All black Nikkor was already given. The Nikon S was a heavy camera, so maybe Nikon decided to make the lens for the black Nikon S as light as possible.

Erik.

Sammy Davis jr with a black Nikon S2.

b91c5d1b9d195bbcbed758c199e09b9d.jpg

That looks like the rare 105 f/4

Got a great deal on this early SP in the classifieds because it needed a film counter transplant. Easy enough! Now it's working well. I also picked up a 2.5cm finder to match the lens, all I need now is the lens hood :(

I have enough gear and notes that I'm thinking of starting my own little Nikon RF blog or youtube page.

That is quite a kit

I love how Sammy has his middle finger on the focus wheel and forefinger on the shutter button...just as the camera was designed to be operated. Yes...I am loving my black S2.
It makes sense, but I didn’t realize it until I saw the photo. From now on I’m going to start doing that and I’ll tell people Sammy taught me this technique.

It makes sense, but I didn’t realize it until I saw the photo. From now on I’m going to start doing that and I’ll tell people Sammy taught me this technique.

Not only does it make sense, it was planned that way by the developer of the Contax.

The Nikon S2 or SP is the best of both worlds.
The simpler shutter anf the winding lever of the Leica and of the Contax the housing, the range finder, the bayonet and the focusing mechanism.
And they did it very well.

Incidentally, the lenses of the Contax, such as the legendary 21mm Biogon, also fit the Nikon.
Only the curve of the rangefinder is slightly different, so the set distance is no longer quite accurate for focal lengths over 50 mm.
But with the 21mm Biogon, that's - meaningless.

Do I have a genuine Black Paint S2? Serial number 6182203. I was told It is a re-paint. pretty...no? The small amount of paint wear on top front edge shows brass underneath. If a re-paint, the chrome would have been stripped off. If it was originally chrome, they did a great job.

Attachments

• photo118209.jpg
    photo118209.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Do I have a genuine Black Paint S2? Serial number 6182203. I was told It is a re-paint. pretty...no? The small amount of paint wear on top front edge shows brass underneath. If a re-paint, the chrome would have been stripped off. If it was originally chrome, they did a great job.

Original or no, it's a beauty! And I'm thinking the 618XXXX serial number would put it in the range of the black dial original black S2s. Nice score either way!

Well, after a closer look, the wear shows chrome, not brass... Yes, it was originally a chrome black dial S2. Got it at a very fair price and is sure looks good! Pairs well with my S3.

Attachments

• photo118209.jpg
    photo118209.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 3
Well, after a closer look, the wear shows chrome, not brass... Yes, it was originally a chrome black dial S2. Got it at a very fair price and is sure looks good! Pairs well with my S3.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Oh well, shoot it and enjoy it.

The main thing is that it works!
It doesn't matter whether it's chrome, black or colourful.
In the end it's a Nikon rangefinder. That counts.

Back