Leica LTM Show your Summar 50mm f2 photos

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Nope.

I use the Summar at f/2 with the FISON all the time with no vignetting.

I just looked through my Lightroom library to find shots definitely taken at f/2, and this one is a good example:

...because it was taken moments before I swapped to the 50/1.9 Serenar I'd just picked up - which was also wide open and didn't have a hood on:

There's surprisingly little difference in rendering - and, most notably, possible vignetting.

The one time the FISON has ever caused any issue at f/2 was when I put a filter behind it:

When you compare both shots you'll see that the Summar shot has dark corners, not small dark spots in the extreme corners, but larger parts of the picture towards the corners. These are caused by the FISON. This is what I ment to say above, but I was occupied with other things at that moment so I forgot to explain exactly what I wanted to say. I hope you'll see this addition.

Erik.

If the front lens element of the Summer is soft and prone to scratching I do not understand someone's comment on not to use a filter which to me would at least protect the front element and reduce the need to clean out often. I am asking the question as I have a Summer coming sight unseen (yes a mistake) but I generally trust the seller. I can understand if a hood is put on after a filter it can extend the hood to cause vignetting. What about the variable hood? Don't remember the name of hand. Thanks.

The FIKUS hood? I did have major vignetting with a A36 clamp-on filter followed by that hood.

RTOV0322.jpg

This was 12 years ago, so I don't recall if I actually had it extended for the 50mm...probably.... But the SUMMAR + A36 filter might be alright with the FIKUS fully collapsed (for 35mm)

The FIKUS hood? I did have major vignetting with a A36 clamp-on filter followed by that hood.

This was 12 years ago, so I don't recall if I actually had it extended for the 50mm...probably.... But the SUMMAR + A36 filter might be alright with the FIKUS fully collapsed (for 35mm)
The FIKUS is top-heavy and falls off the lens at every turn. For the Summar, the best lens hood is the SOOHN, in fact built for the 35mm Elmar.

Erik.

The FIKUS is top-heavy and falls off the lens at every turn. For the Summar, the best lens hood is the SOOHN, in fact built for the 35mm Elmar.

Erik.

The SOOHN hood is for the 28mm Hektor and costs likely as much or more as the Summar lens itself (I suspect you meant the FOOKH). I personally found that the FISON shade works fine and I've never had an issue with it, or if you want to go the cheap and versatile route get yourself an Ednalite 616 step-up ring (33.9mm Leica thread to Series IV) and an S-42 hood (which I think may be Canon but not identified as such on the hood itself). It looks good, uses Series VI filters and - because it screws in - there's no worry about it falling off the lens.

There's a new aftermarket clamp-on hood that might work too -- looks to be a copy of the FOOKH for 1/3 the price: https://www.amazon.com/Haoge-LH-M37W...ps%2C56&sr=8-3

I use the FOOKH / Haoge copy when I use the A36 filters on my Summar. If I want to use a UV filter, I use a SOOGZ adapter and use a 39mm UV filter, then a short Heliopan hood (which looks like the hood for the Elmar-M 50mm from a few years back). I have also used a FISON with no filter without vignetting.

The SOOHN hood is for the 28mm Hektor and costs likely as much or more as the Summar lens itself (I suspect you meant the FOOKH).

You are quite right, Vince, thank you very much for this correction. The hood I meant, is the FLQOO.

The FOOKH is in fact only for the Elmar 35mm f3.5. It vignettes when used on the Summar 50mm f2. However, the FLQOO is like the FOOKH, but shorter.

gelatin silver print (elmar 50mm f3.5 1926 reconditioned) leica ll

https://www.flickr.com/photos/erik_v...53142/sizes/l/

Erik.

52602853142_bb946fe273_b.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	52602853142_bb946fe273_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.6 KB ID:	4814705

There is/was an altered Chinese copy of the FISON, basically a cut-down version specifically for 35mm (Elmar) lenses, I'm relatively sure that would work on the SUMMAR combined with a A36 filter without causing vignetting.

Another one is made by Haoge (LH-M37W Metal hood), but it can't take another A36 filter/cap on the end.

Years ago I bought TWO LEICAS from a Clergyman for £250 with a Russian 135mm f4 Jupiter and Russian Turret Viewfinder etc - one was a 1934 Model II with 50mm f2 Summar the other a Model IIIa with 50mm f3.5 ELMAR -- Stolen at Thorpe Park Surrey with my Camera Bag in a Drive-By Robbery - snatched off the ground by my side ! I have good results from the SUMMAR 323089 1936 . It is Un-Scratched.
I did some 16x12 " RA4 Darkroom Prints of some and won an award at Brentwood & District Photographic Club !
Leica II by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Leica 1934 12 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Leica 1934 7 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Leica 1934 8 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Leica 1934 11 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
'ACTIVA 400' in LEICA II ( continued) by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Back