Sigma "I series" lenses - Images & Comments

Yokosuka_Mike

Abstract Clarity
Local time
4:23 PM
Sigma "I series" lenses - Images & Comments.

If you have an image made with an "I series lens" or a thought to share about these lenses, this is the place to do it.

All the best,
Mike

DSC04060.JPG

Sony A7III
Sigma 65mm f2 DG DN "I series" lens
Yokohama, Japan - March 2021

All the best,
Mike

Mike, which of the I series is your favorite? I had the 45/2.8 a while ago and sold it during a gear purge but I wish I didn’t because every Sony lens I have had since then has felt like a cheap toy and I’m never happy with them. I’m thinking about going back to the 45/2.8 or maybe getting the 65/2.

Also, any thoughts on the new Sony 24/40/50 trio coming to the market? Looks like the Sony’s will be “sharper” but the Sigmas will have more character.

Mike, which of the I series is your favorite? I had the 45/2.8 a while ago and sold it during a gear purge but I wish I didn’t because every Sony lens I have had since then has felt like a cheap toy and I’m never happy with them. I’m thinking about going back to the 45/2.8 or maybe getting the 65/2.

Also, any thoughts on the new Sony 24/40/50 trio coming to the market? Looks like the Sony’s will be “sharper” but the Sigmas will have more character.

Hi BWF!

I initially bought the 45mm f2.8 and I was completely satisfied with the performance and build quality but I found I wasn’t overly pleased with the 45mm field of view. Then I bought the 65mm f2 and fell in love with it. I use it a lot for street and nature, great bokeh, great everything! I felt no need to have a 45mm after getting the 65mm so I sold it and then bought the 35mm f2 and 24mm f3.5. In my opinion the 24mm is just plain fun to walk around with and shoot street, nature and architecture and the 35mm is giving me the same artistic features I like so much with the 65mm.

Using my Sony A7III I get crazy fast autofocus with these lenses when I’m in the AF-C mode. Moving objects get captured perfectly. AF-S autofocus is good on static subjects but not good enough on moving objects.
The fast autofocus was a surprise to me because my previous experiences with other Sigma lenses was not as impressive.

Also, my previous Sigma lenses were so big and heavy. The I series lenses are much smaller and the weight is just right. Not to heavy but substantial enough to have that good quality build feeling that I like. I’m also a fan of the metal lens hoods that come with the I series lenses.

As for the new Sony line-up (24/40/50), I haven’t seen or handled them. I hear the build quality is not as good as the Sigma I series but I can’t confirm or deny it.

Anyway, for right now if I had to pick a favorite of the 4 Sigma I lenses it would be the 65mm f2.

I’m not a very tech savvy guy when it comes to talking about lenses, I just know what I like and don’t like by taking pictures and looking at the results. I hope this helps answers your questions.

All the best,
Mike

Mike, this is really helpful! Do you find the size of the 65/2 to fit well on the A7iii? The larger size was my only reservation about that particular lens. That’s an interesting focal length too and definitely would not overlap with my X100.

Mike, this is really helpful! Do you find the size of the 65/2 to fit well on the A7iii? The larger size was my only reservation about that particular lens. That’s an interesting focal length too and definitely would not overlap with my X100.

It's more than comfortable enough for me on the A7III. Also, I didn't mention it before but manual focus is a dream come true on this lens as well.

You can get all of the "I" lens specs here:
https://www.sigma-global.com/en/special/i-series/

All the best,
Mike

You have inspired me to give one of these I lenses a go again. Great photos of the Sakura bloom, what a nice time of year in Japan!

You have inspired me to give one of these I lenses a go again. Great photos of the Sakura bloom, what a nice time of year in Japan!

Hi, BWF! Good luck picking a new lens, and yes, it's a glorious time of year here in Japan. The cherry blossoms are just exploding all over the place. During the day there are droves of photographers out photographing the Sakura everywhere.

All the best,
Mike

We're getting the band back together - before it's too late!

DSC04319.JPG

Sony A7III
Sigma 65mm f2 DG DN "I Series" lens
Yokohama, Japan - April 2021

All the best,
Mike

The black sand beach of Jogashima island.
DSC04387.JPG

Sony A7III
Sigma 24mm f3.5 DG DN lens
Jogashima Island, Japan - April 2021

All the best,
Mike

Jogashima's famous stone archway.
DSC04411.JPG

Sony A7III
Sigma 24mm f3.5 DG DN "Contemporary" lens
Jogashima Island, Japan - April 2021

All the best,