Sinar Norma 8x10 Telephoto Field

Nokton48

Mentor
Local time
9:53 PM
8x10 Sinar Norma Long Apo Ronar 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've been configuring this 8x10 Sinar Norma to use out in the field for up to 4x telephoto photography. I have long Rodenstock Apo Ronar barrel dialyte type telephotos right now up to 790mm F14. They made a 1070mm f14 same era and style looking for one but not as expensive as a car. This is all original Sinar Norma 100% except for the clamping plate which was made for me by a machinist friend. I have never seen the original Norma one available. Basically I used this camera for B&w studio portraiture and I am taking the old concept which worked very well for me and scaling it up.

Now that is a magnificent piece of photographic equipment. It’s weight alone would need one to keep fit.
The exposure times must be considerably lengthened, what apertures and exposure times are you dealing with, even on a sunny day please ?????
A beautiful sight, that made me smile Sir.

Now that is a magnificent piece of photographic equipment. It’s weight alone would need one to keep fit.
The exposure times must be considerably lengthened, what apertures and exposure times are you dealing with, even on a sunny day please ?????
A beautiful sight, that made me smile Sir.

The Sinar Shutter goes to eight seconds has jeweled movements like a fine watch. In reality other than minutes long exposures which require simply open and close this is all you need for most situations. Top speed 1/50 which again is quite practical for ambient photography of this sort.

F16 occasionally but F22 to F45 mostly. Apo Ronars are keyed to F128 :)

Very interesting, I certainly look foreword to seeing your results. If I was closer in distance, I would offer my services a mule for free, to assist you in your journey with this monster.
Good luck, you are indeed a brave and industrious gentleman.

I am feeling inadequate with my little 4x5 and mini me 5x7 cameras. But then I use mine outside. Wind and big bellows is not fun. Hope iy turns out well for you, Looks interesting.

Next I want Keith at Custom Bellows to make a 5x7 to 4x5 extra double length Norma bellows, this will be used for close up shooting. By the way Keith is the original bellows manufacturer for Sinar Norma during the era. He still has all the original patterns. How cool is that? Brand new bellows being made by the original manufacturer. Last year he made the "Special Bellows" which is a short 8x10 to 5x7, impossible to find in working condition.

Cal,
Normal length is 300mm, so a bit less than 3X magnification with the 790mm f14. 35mm FOV about 135mm or so is my best guess.

Dan,

Thanks for the response.

I'm trying to get my head around a rig like this.

I use to use a Nikon 180/2.8 on a F3P for the long reach, but at times it was too long.

105mm for portraits.

Hmmm...

Cal

Dan,

Thanks for the response.

I'm trying to get my head around a rig like this.

I use to use a Nikon 180/2.8 on a F3P for the long reach, but at times it was too long.

105mm for portraits.

Hmmm...

Cal

Cal, find a 135mm f/2 Nikkor. Or a Spiratone 135mm f/1.8 and have an F mount fabbed for it.
Dan, your 8x10 is crazy but also reminds me that I have a 490mm Apo-Ronar waiting to draw images. It's too big to mount on the front standard of my Korona VI, so something else will have to be done...

Phil Forrest

Over on LFF forum most are into folding wooden 8x10 (sturdy and portable best) with up to 600mm LF lenses, which is 2X. Nikon makes some kewl telephoto sets with interchangeable rear groups to change focal length. True teles require less bellows extension big advantage.

Dan,

So now I'm going to become a LF nerd with my tripod. LOL.

Crazy is kinda contagious. So is tripod disease.

What we won't do to get a great image and IQ. We are fools. LOL.

We are diseased.

Cal

8x10 Sinar Norma Long Apo Ronar 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

8x10 Sinar Norma Long Apo Ronar 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Further work this morning on my 8x10 Sinar Norma. In my studio man cave, my Plaubel Peco Profia Camera Stand is definately the way to go. It goes easily and quickly from lowest to my ten foot studio ceiling. It is in a bit of rough condition, needs some rust cleaned form the column, and needs a replacement floor wheel, which I have found difficult to find. It is a European double caster of unique design. McMaster Carr and the internet so far no luck.

In my storage boxes I found a modern Sinar Bar for the Rail Clamps. These are expensive new, IIRC I paid $40 or $50 and was happy with that. This morning I went out into my workshop and removed some steel pins using vise and center punch/hammer. I think I will keep the modern Sinar black Knobs on the Rail Clamps, now I can slide the Norma Clamps back and forth super easily to precisely balance the cameras. They look OK on the Norma. Finally I will paint the black bar with Sinar Norma Green oil paint. The Red Stabilizing Rods up top are incredibly difficult to find, and even more more rare, are the Screw In Clamps for the stabilizing rods.

There was a time when some were selling all this off and with digital great economic losses were common. I have made some crazy no money deals in my day. I'm going to leave this set up all the time, my 5x7 Norma is on the other side of the stand. Doesn't really have that big a footprint, I can roll it in a far corner and raise it. I want a longer 4x5 to 5x7 Bellows. Camera Bellows in the UK is my go to and worth every penny

There was a time when some were selling all this off and with digital great economic losses were common. I have made some crazy no money deals in my day. I'm going to leave this set up all the time, my 5x7 Norma is on the other side of the stand. Doesn't really have that big a footprint, I can roll it in a far corner and raise it. I want a longer 4x5 to 5x7 Bellows. Camera Bellows in the UK is my go to and worth every penny

Devil Dan,

I worked at the fourth largest aerospace company in the U.S., and at the end of the Cold War did mucho dumpster diving. They were downsizing and merging.

This was a side of Reaganomics that not many knew about. What a waste of taxpayer's money. Not even pennies on the dollar. I recycled as much as I could.

One of my friends had a business and every Thursday for him it was like Christmas. He said that I single-handedly downsized a Fortune 500 company.

Another friend was building a drag race car, so I got him all this trick aircraft parts to build out his car.

This is how I got a free 16mm Bolex kit.

Cal

I got some great stuff for very little at a Rockwell auction. You had to have an employee family member to enter the auction

Twin Lens 4x5 Sinar Norma 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This was fun to configure and will be useful for 4x5 portraiture. This time it's two 240mm Sinar Symmars, yes I know one is forward mounted so they are different. Looking around I have a pair of matching 240mm Schneider barrel chrome f4.5 Xenars. May have to cut some boards but that to me is a perfect choice for 4x5. The bottom 4x5 Norma still needs a bit of work but getting there. It came recently from KEH

Will have to learn how to use this. Sinar Norma promoted this as super speedy. Look through the bottom and pop it and see it on the glass. Will be fun

Back