Size matters

Steve M.

Mentor
Local time
8:36 AM
I was looking at some online images by Andy Warhol and found this one, which I had never seen. It's a still frame from a 4 minute, 16mm portrait series he made.

http://www.marthagarzon.com/contemporary_art/2011/03/moma-ps1-the-talent-show/

And then I remembered that there's this large blank wall in my new studio. It's bigger than it looks, about 9 1/2 feet tall by 12' wide.

https://i.imgur.com/xf2G7Rc.jpg

The light bulb went on. What appeals to me is that I have never been in a room where a portrait took up a whole wall, and wondered what it would be like to spend time in a space like that. I could always paint the portrait (and I prefer it to be of a stranger that I don't know), especially as the bricks could work as a magnification grid, but I want the feeling of a photograph.

Any ideas of how I could make this happen? Maybe project a negative onto the wall after it was coated with liquid light or something? Send a neg or large file out to a mural business? I was going to make a compilation from a lot of smaller prints, but I want it to be more of one piece.

The shot of the studio was taken w/ a cell phone, and everyone who has chimed in on the thread about 3D images and how photographs are, or are not, accurate representations of what we see should take note....this photo is very deceiving. The space is not squarish as it appears, it is much wider than it is long, and that table is much longer from the front where the laptop is back to the window. My cell phone really distorts proportions, and I never noticed that until now.

Richard Avedon's photos from his "In The American West" project were enlarged to wall-size for the exhibition of the photos at the Amon Carter Museum of Art in Fort Worth, Texas in 1979.

They were darkroom prints made from his 8x10 film negatives. If I remember right, they were made in sections and mounted together to make the full image.

I've seen photos printed on a vinyl-plastic like material, from a banner/sign store and they looked pretty good from a reasonable viewing distance.

Or, as Chris suggested, carefully seam two or three larger prints together. If I remember correctly, Avedon's 3-piece prints were butted together and mounted on aluminum plates, looking like one big print.

Back