SL or SL2?

Raid, its simple...if you are willing to spend the cash, go for the SL2, if not, get a deal on the SL at a discount. This said, in my opinion, the M mount adapter is a second choice, only and the real expense is buying into these big and heavy SL lenses.

Raid, its simple...if you are willing to spend the cash, go for the SL2, if not, get a deal on the SL at a discount. This said, in my opinion, the M mount adapter is a second choice, only and the real expense is buying into these big and heavy SL lenses.

I don’t want such big lenses. This I am sure of. The M adapter needs to be factored in the buy.

I've had an M10-P since the beginning of 2019, and it's my primary camera. If I was limited to only one camera body, it'd be an M10. However, I just bought a used SL (and M adapter) specifically for shooting portraits/people with strobe.

Nailing focus with a narrow depth of field is difficult (for me anyway) with a rangefinder alone. I'm better at it now, but it takes a long time. On the M10, I can use the external EVF and dial in the focus, but then the hot shoe is occupied and I can't trigger strobes.

With the SL, it's pretty simple to focus just where I want reliably. E.g., I shot portraits of a friend last week with a 50mm Summilux-M at f1.4 using the SL, and didn't miss any due to focus. I was using strobe too (with an ND filter on the lens) and feel that M glass on the SL is a very useful combination.

But even with M glass, the SL is a chunky beast. If I'm walking around (i.e., not in a controlled studio environment), the M10 (or any digital M) is far better in the hand. I'm not dedicated enough to sling an SL2 over my shoulder when stepping out for an errand. But I can do that with the M10.

To me, the main differences between the SL and the SL2 come down to three things. First is the higher resolution, but 24MP is pretty amazing already. Second is better video features, which I don't think I'd ever use. Third is IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization). That's an awesome feature, and I'd love to have it on the M10, since that's the camera I use in limited light. But it'd probably go unused for me on the SL2, given how I'd use the camera.

IMO, the SL is still an amazing camera and now is a great time to buy a used one. The market is flush with SL sellers who want to trade up and the prices are quite reasonable for what you get. Most of the "Leica tax" has been squeezed out.

For me, a used SL was the better choice and I "saved" $4000 USD versus buying a SL2.

I don’t want such big lenses. This I am sure of. The M adapter needs to be factored in the buy.

Raid,

I can understand not wanting a big camera or big lenses.

If you are going to restrict yourself to M-glass, I would seriously consider holding out and waiting for the rumored M-EVF. No adapter required for M-mount.

I think for fast primes and exploiting shallow DOF the electronic VF'er is the way to go.

Cal

Thank you Cal for the tip. I will wait. I have enough cameras now.

Raid,

A M-EVF pretty much should be a SL in a M-Body optimized for M-Glass.

There is also a rumor that they are working on M-Glass for high resolution sensors (high MP count).

I wonder how much of the SL2 will trickle into a M-EVF?

Cal

So you are going to use M lenses, and say the M240 is too big, but the much bigger SL is an ok size? That you will also need an adapter for? Even though M lenses work better on an M240 than an SL or SL2?

Focusing is easier with an advanced version EVF. This would be a specific advantage of the SL over the M10, say. As for size and weight and RF experience, the M10 would be the winner for sure.
I am lucky not to need glasses by now, but I may be safer if I get a camera that lets me focus very clearly some lenses with large apertures, such as the Lux 75mm. Here, having extra focusing aids would be helpful.
I will wait and see what develops at Leica in the coming months.

Raid, just get a Nikon Z6 or 7 and an M adaptor. Almost every one of my M (and LTM) lenses works great on my Z6, and some are much easier to nail focus. The only exception would be my little CV 21, which has some funkiness in the corners on the Z, but looks fine for street shots in black and white. I wouldn’t use it for landscapes. Everything else, 28 through 90, works great.
Plus, the sensor blows away that in my M-D.

THe downside? No Leica rangefinder experience (but you won’t get that win the SL(2) either).
The Upside? Easier focusing for those “difficult” lenses, plus access to a bunch of pretty great Nikkor lenses, and autofocus.

Raid, just get a Nikon Z6 or 7 and an M adaptor. Almost every one of my M (and LTM) lenses works great on my Z6, and some are much easier to nail focus. The only exception would be my little CV 21, which has some funkiness in the corners on the Z, but looks fine for street shots in black and white. I wouldn’t use it for landscapes. Everything else, 28 through 90, works great.
Plus, the sensor blows away that in my M-D.

THe downside? No Leica rangefinder experience (but you won’t get that win the SL(2) either).
The Upside? Easier focusing for those “difficult” lenses, plus access to a bunch of pretty great Nikkor lenses, and autofocus.

Thank you for your tip.
I will wait it out until I feel I want to get another camera. I dislike buying something and then find it a year later to be out of date somehow. The SL line seems to be going that way. RF cameras may be more to my liking in the end, but this thread was about choosing between SL and SL2.

To now get into Nikon digital cameras may be beyond my goals. I have a Nikon D700 and I use it with the manual focus Nikkor 50/1.4.

I'm so curious to know which camera(s) you will bring in your next trip to Europe :)
Meanwhile have an Happy 2020 you all !
robert
PS: only a few months to wait...

I don't know Raid, how much do You need, want in your digital expectations...

The price drop for a used SL seems like a Bargain
and the imagery it produces is quite Lovely !!

24 to 48 is a big jump in megapixel ... Computer ready ??

Any update?
I was in market for a digital M update. Was debating between the M10(p) or SL(2). Probably will end up with a M10 since I am not planning to buy any AF SL lenses. Way to chunky for my need.

Cheers

I don't know Raid, how much do You need, want in your digital expectations...

The price drop for a used SL seems like a Bargain
and the imagery it produces is quite Lovely !!

24 to 48 is a big jump in megapixel ... Computer ready ??

Helen: I am not ready for a 40MP+ digital adventure! Yes, the SL for $2500 is a bargain indeed. It is however not an M.

Any update?
I was in market for a digital M update. Was debating between the M10(p) or SL(2). Probably will end up with a M10 since I am not planning to buy any AF SL lenses. Way to chunky for my need.

Cheers

Not really; now I am debating whether to get an "old" M10 or SL.

I'm so curious to know which camera(s) you will bring in your next trip to Europe :)
robert

I don't know yet, Robert.
I will have with me a new lens. As for a new camera, who knows! :D

robert

Ciao Robert,
Us too, Italy again, August.
Not to Milano thought. Perugia, Florence, Venice, Rome.
Gary

Great plan! We have no program yet for next summer. Maybe a chance to meet in Perugia...
robert

Yes, let's regroup closer to the time, we arrive Fiumicino about the 16th August, Perugia is the first stop.
Like Raid, no idea of what camera/lens, LOL.
Gary

Back