small flash with 2AA for RD1/RF...

pb908

Well-known
Local time
5:12 PM
I know that some people use nikon SB20 or SB22/s with RD1 (or even use it with hexar RF/Leica). i have been looking for one and just got one (one sb20, one sb22s).

firstly I can say I'm impressed with the output result from both SB20/SB22s.
Spec-wise, it has 4 Auto mode (f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6 @iso100), and it has manual preset power (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16). the head can be bounce up (90degree) and down (7 degree ?), and it has pc-sync socket. a great flash for rangefinder I believe.

still it is too big (bulky) and heavy for an RF, imo. maybe due to the fact that it use 4AA batteries, or too much feature can't be use by RF.

after thinking for a while of my flash requirement, I think I can reduce few stuff and get smaller package in return. my requirement :
- 2 Auto mode, f2 and f4 @ iso100 is just enough (there is a time I want to use auto flash with f2 for the sake of seeing bokeh :D)
- manual (full power) only is enough
- 2 AA battery is a must !
- bounce, if possible
- pc-sync connector is a bonus

so then I search here and there and here are what i found :
- Pentax AF160/AF16 : 2 AA, GN16(m), 2 Auto (f2, f4), 1 Full Manual, no bounce/pc sync. pro = small and light enough
- Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 2500 : 2AA, GN20(m), 2auto (f2, f4), 2 manual (1,1/8), bounce, zoom head (35/50/85), a little bit high but thin flash, no pc sync. pro = bounce + zoom head!!
- Sunpak PF20xd, hard to find, use 2AAA, GN20, 3Auto (f2.8, f4, f5.6, selectable manual up to 1/16, slave mode, no pc-sync. pro = small!!! cons = AAA and price
-hexar AF flash (HX14, HX18), 1 manual mode, 1 auto mode.

all is safe for digital body as trigger voltage max 12V (in my vivitar 2500)

at this moment I stick to the pentax and vivitar, for 15$used price each, the vivitar is really a great value for money compare to 50$ SB20/22s !!

any other recomendation ?

I've always wondered about the Olympus T32, it has a sort of bounce function and is quite small, it goes 'forwards' more than 'up'

olympus.. yes, I just remember that T20 is using 2AA as well, 2 auto mode, 1 manual,

thanks Ped for the T32, that was great flash as well, with more power than SB20/22s, but 4AAs battery required. i believe all olympus auto flash goes "forward"

Yeah - I looked on ebay and couldn't find any with the swivel head part but it looks identical to the T20 I think.

I have the Metz Mecablitz 20 C-2, which takes 2xAA. It has a vertically tilting reflector, but I use mine with a cheapo Nikon cord for added flexibility. I looked at some other alternatives when buying and ended up with this one due to availability more than anything else. I actually haven't tried it with R-D1 yet, although I bought it both the Leica M8 and the Epson in mind. It's a good flash.

Just bought one of these, it works really well:

c4358a80.jpg

3cf2f287.jpg

It's a bar of LEDs and allows me to shoot in total darkness up to a pretty reasonable distance.

Ped, what a nice "flash"
will it FLASH or will it always on to make ambient light?
is that using 1AA battery ? if so this will really small & cool !!

@Lss, I used to hear METZ 20C2, but can not find it anyway (even used one of eb*y). GN of 20(m) with 2AA is very good indeed. most flash with 2AA give output <GN20.

Add to the list :

- Pentax AF16/AF160 => GN16, 2auto, 1manual, save for DSLR
- Metz 20C2 =>GN20, 2auto, 1manual, bounce, save
- Vivitar 2500 =>GN20, 2auto, 1 manual, bounce, zoom, save
- Sunpak auto 101=> GN16, 1auto, 1manual, save??
- Sunpak PF20xd => GN20, 3auto, 5manual, slave flash, save
- Promaster 1700 => GN20, 2auto, 1 manual, bounce, NOT SAVE
- Olympus T20 => GN20, 2auto, 1manual,save
- Hexar HX14 =>GN 14, 1auto, 1manual, save

please add if you know more..
yet, there are not single one with bounce + swivel head..

The only small flash I know of with bounce is the Nikon SB400 but it's Nikon TTL only, no manual or auto modes, 8(. I just bought a Konica HX14 to try.

Ped, what a nice "flash"
will it FLASH or will it always on to make ambient light?
is that using 1AA battery ? if so this will really small & cool !!

@Lss, I used to hear METZ 20C2, but can not find it anyway (even used one of eb*y). GN of 20(m) with 2AA is very good indeed. most flash with 2AA give output <GN20.

You switch it on for constant light, which is good because it helps you focus. It takes only a single AAA battery for 1.5 hours constant use!

I hate to go off topic here, but the leica SF20 is tiny and takes 2 CR2 batteries -- it'll fire near 500 full blasts before needing replacement. The manual mode tells you how far away your subject needs to be for proper exposure. If you need bounce, add an off-camera cable and point the thing at a ceiling. It works wonders.

Stacey -- Capitola, CA by kzamani, on Flickr

Fuji GW690iii, with an SF-20 and an off camera flash cable.

@kzphoto, nice bounce image

@ped, any example how the small manfrotto led image will be ? i see it has no diffuser, I believe you need to be in enough distance with the object to avoid the led spot pattern.

Just found another flash with 2AA, but i don't think if this flash is small
power and feature-wise, it is great. Auto with selectable aperture, adjustable power in M, swivel & bounce + zoom head. GN36 @ iso 100 !

have anyone ever try Olympus FL36/R ?

Just found another flash with 2AA, but i don't think if this flash is small
power and feature-wise, it is great. Auto with selectable aperture, adjustable power in M, swivel & bounce + zoom head. GN36 @ iso 100 !

have anyone ever try Olympus FL36/R ?

I used the OLY FL36/R on my E30

I can never believe the guide number of 36: it is much weaker, to weak for decent bounce.

Great TTL with the 4/3 camera's but that does not help you.

The biggest problem however is the position of the contacts, it does not or unreliably connect with a standard hot shoe.

The metz 32 is a great little flash (2 cr2 batteries) and as said before use it of camera a la Gilden.

The photo below was taken in total darkness with a diffusor over the flash, not a great image but it shows what this flash is capable of. it is as big as a pack of smokes.

7173328406_1c6405ecee.jpg
[/url]
20120510-DSCF1317.jpg by wim_b, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fujifilm ef-x20

fuji_Flash-EF-X20_TTL.jpg

Manual power from 1/32 down to 1/1 (full power) in a metal knurled rotary dial, takes 2 AAA batteries, has an inbuilt flash sync sensor so can act as a standalone unit that fires when it senses another flash, is made of metal, half the size of a pack of smokes, and has a wide angle panel which is lever operates and provides down to 21mm coverage.

It's a little bit pricey but definitely the nicest small flash with manual control that you can buy.

Back