So I just bought the original - and new to me - RX1

Wouter2

Established
Local time
10:10 AM
Title says it - upgraded from aps-c and m43 to this camera. Stretching budget restrictions to the limits but then, you don't dare you don't win isn't it? Includes EVF. So who among you still uses it? Will it become a modern classic?

Looks like a really nice camera to carry around. I am surprised it does not do 4k video (for the price). Not sure I like framing on the LCD, but to make it compact, I guess they did not have much option. The accessory EVF is expensive. I think the Sonnar plus full frame does make it very worthwhile overall.

I've had the RII for a year and a half. Most satisfying camera I've ever used. Not the best ergonomically, but the photos are great fun to process, usually in focus where I want them to be, and if you're into short depth of field and subject separation, the out of focus look is among the best of any lens.

Biggest differences between the RI and RII - faster focusing, lots more pixels for cropping.

With all the fuss on the Leica Q I am surprised the RX1 cameras do not get more love here! The latest version even having a pop up EVF!

I remember them being REALLY expensive new. Now I see the 1st version is going for around 800-1k$ really seems like a epic deal for what your getting..

Top tier 35/2.0 lens
Full frame Sony Sensor.
Manual FOCUS!

I have a RX-1 that I picked up used about 3.5 years ago and last year I finally found a clean A7s used at a good price. I am always happy with the RX-1, I wish the AF was a little faster but it works and I get great files out of it. So I use the A7s with a 50 and a ultra wide angle lens and the RX-1 makes a great combo.

Fantastic camera. I've had my RX1 for about 4.5 years now and it is still my go-to camera. While the focusing is a bit slow (but accurate), the EVF a little small and dim, and the ergonomics not the greatest, the size and image quality from the lens and sensor are incredible. I just love it to bits. Every time I think about getting something else (due to the gripes above), the photos bring me back in.

I definitely think its a classic, especially being the first camera of its size to house a full frame sensor.

I hope you enjoy it!

EDIT: Also head over to THIS thread for some images.

Title says it - upgraded from aps-c and m43 to this camera. Stretching budget restrictions to the limits but then, you don't dare you don't win isn't it? Includes EVF. So who among you still uses it? Will it become a modern classic?

Congratulations!
IMO a “modern classic”, at least as much as anything digital can be. My RX1 was stolen about three years ago, and I bought a RX1rII two years ago. One of the few cameras I own which I doubt I’d ever sell. My favorite 35mm focal length rendering of any lens available today, though that is obviously a personal esthetic choice. Wonderfully robust files. Pocket rocket, worth every penny, original ones a bargain now, relatively speaking.
Enjoy yours, they are extremely capable.

A few years ago, I passed up the opportunity to get a really clean RX1r for $1900 AUD secondhand. It's something I still regret a bit. The files were smoother than the proverbial baby's bottom.
If the ergos are a bit iffy, there's an aftermarket grip which is reportedly very good.
Enjoy your new camera; having full frame in your pocket is something that usually only comes with film, and having digital full frame in your pocket is still produced by only one manufacturer.

med_U45148I1463605774.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U45148I1508729411.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U45148I1528134752.SEQ.3.jpg

I could have quoted Larry and left it at that. But I will reinforce his testimony: proof of its worth is in the IQ and latitude of images it gives. It's a fast fixed Sonnar, my gosh, what a gift! As for the notoriously criticized Sony menus, one can mostly ignore them. I've never shot mine in any mode but manual. I do recommend the EVF, but then I have always liked and relied upon articulating viewfinders.

These days I shift between the RX1 and Leica T for compact digital. Just got back from a California ramble with a light bag carrying the RX1, a Fuji Klasse S, and sometimes my wife's RX100iii.

Hope you enjoy it.

Robert, thanks. Are these bw's in camera or post bw's? I've read quite a lot of praise on the rx1's in camera bw capabilities.

cheers
Wouter

med_U45148I1463605774.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U45148I1508729411.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U45148I1528134752.SEQ.3.jpg

I could have quoted Larry and left it at that. But I will reinforce his testimony: proof of its worth is in the IQ and latitude of images it gives. It's a fast fixed Sonnar, my gosh, what a gift! As for the notoriously criticized Sony menus, one can mostly ignore them. I've never shot mine in any mode but manual. I do recommend the EVF, but then I have always liked and relied upon articulating viewfinders.

These days I shift between the RX1 and Leica T for compact digital. Just got back from a California ramble with a light bag carrying the RX1, a Fuji Klasse S, and sometimes my wife's RX100iii.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Larry. The learning curve might be a challenge ... so much in the manual that I don't really understand yet ...

Cheers
Wouter

Congratulations!
IMO a “modern classic”, at least as much as anything digital can be. My RX1 was stolen about three years ago, and I bought a RX1rII two years ago. One of the few cameras I own which I doubt I’d ever sell. My favorite 35mm focal length rendering of any lens available today, though that is obviously a personal esthetic choice. Wonderfully robust files. Pocket rocket, worth every penny, original ones a bargain now, relatively speaking.
Enjoy yours, they are extremely capable.

Wouter, I used the Sony BW mode for many many RX1 and A7 images, as I did with other digitals (Panasonic, Fuji, Ricoh) because I wanted to see tones after all those decades of having to frame/compose BW film in color optics. No more dissociation between the seen and the shown!

2 of those images above were BW from start to finish. Now, with whatever camera, I want to exercise greater BW tonal control/contrast via luminance in color channels. This requires RAW. If I can still see BW while shooting, great, but not if it means getting only JPGs without luminance tools. (My Leica M-D 262 has been schooling me in that old lesson from film years—that I sacrifice nothing but BW preview convenience in getting a great flexible DNG file.

Others can speak more expertly about the dis/advantages of using Sony ‘creative modes,’ including BW. Mine was all about having continuity between what I saw and what I eventually showed here or in a print.

Others can speak more expertly about the dis/advantages of using Sony ‘creative modes,’ including BW. Mine was all about having continuity between what I saw and what I eventually showed here or in a print.

I will not speak expertly, and refer to a Fujifilm XT-2, but [partially] to the point I shoot the film simulation that is closest to where I think the shot belongs when I am shooting it. This means on the XT-2 if I see a B&W shot, I shoot an Acros jpeg (and see the B&W in the EVF), but also save the RAW for later processing. With the Fuji I can change color film sims for the jpeg also, add sometimes do.

It’s because the body is an ergonomic disaster...but other than that it’s great.

As someone who really likes these cameras, I'd like to counter that with "One person's ergonomic disaster is another's delight." I'm not sure I'd go that far but as Robert mentions, shooting manual mode and ignoring many of the menus, the camera is not so difficult to use. And the size of the body with its stunning and fast Zeiss Sonnar lens makes for a rather elegant package.

It's weird the older rx1 still holds the price, almost Leica-like. It can't be the sensor (first a7 series can be had for much less), the lens must be amazing.

I have an 18x22 I went back and looked at today from the RX1R and the detail is remarkable.... the camera (sensor lens combo) draw beautifully too.

164895725.WIlxxzT9.CastleSunrise.jpg

With all the fuss on the Leica Q I am surprised the RX1 cameras do not get more love here!
I think they are quite different. The Leica looks nice to use, and the user reports generally confirm that. The Sony is not user-friendly (at least the models prior to RX1RII which I have not tried). But it was and is an image quality beast and obviously very compact.

Top tier 35/2.0 lens
Full frame Sony Sensor.
Manual FOCUS!
Utterly useless manual focus for general photography, though.

As someone who really likes these cameras, I'd like to counter that with "One person's ergonomic disaster is another's delight." I'm not sure I'd go that far but as Robert mentions, shooting manual mode and ignoring many of the menus, the camera is not so difficult to use. And the size of the body with its stunning and fast Zeiss Sonnar lens makes for a rather elegant package.

It’s not about the menus... and I’m a fan of miniaturization, but in this case I think the body is too small. I’m also not a fan of add on grips. Finally the pop up evf isn’t that great of a solution in practice.

Back