Some new photos from Fort Wayne

Etna Elevator Company is a grain elevator and animal feed store on the east side of Walnut Street (State Road 19) in the small town of Etna Green, Indiana.

The front of the company's store is covered with signs for animal feed companies like Purina. There is also a sign saying that it is a post office, though there is a standalone post office on the other side of the road!

This is the second of four photographs that I made of the Etna Elevator Company.

11-5-16

Etna Elevator Company is a grain elevator and animal feed store on the east side of Walnut Street (State Road 19) in the small town of Etna Green, Indiana.

The front of the company's store is covered with signs for animal feed companies like Purina. There is also a sign saying that it is a post office, though there is a standalone post office on the other side of the road!

This is the second of four photographs that I made of the Etna Elevator Company.

11-5-16

Another great shot, jammed with enough information to make the viewer's head swim.

polaroid-12-7-22-stopahead.jpg

Polaroid photograph of a rural landscape on a foggy winter morning in northeast Indiana.

I photographed this scene looking east on County Road 1100N in Wells County. The sign on the side of the road says "Stop Ahead;" but the intersection of CR1100N and CR450E, only a couple hundred feet beyond the sign, is not visible through the dense fog.

12-7-22

polaroid-12-7-22-elhonan-1.jpg

Polaroid photograph of a rural landscape scene looking west from County Road 1000N toward the El Honan Cemetery on a foggy December morning in Wells County, Indiana.

The El Honan Cemetery is a small cemetery on the southeast corner of CR1000N and CR600E in the northeast corner of Wells County. The cemetery, established in 1845, originally belonged to a Presbyterian church. The row of pine trees visible in the photograph grow along the cemetery's eastern edge.

This is the first of three photographs that I made of the El Honan Cemetery on that foggy morning.

12-7-22

polaroid-12-7-22-elhonan-2.jpg

Polaroid photograph of 19th Century headstones in front of a large tree in the middle of the El Honan Cemetery in rural Wells County, Indiana. I made this photograph on a very foggy morning in early December.

The El Honan Cemetery is a small cemetery on the southeast corner of CR1000N and CR600E in the northeast corner of Wells County. The cemetery, established in 1845, originally belonged to a Presbyterian church.

This is the second of three photographs that I made of the El Honan Cemetery on that foggy morning.

12-7-22

polaroid-12-11-22-mailbox.jpg

Polaroid photograph of a mailbox in front of a house on Yoder Road, just west of US-27, in rural Allen County, Indiana. The mailbox is shaped like a pickup truck and is painted like the American flag! I photographed it on a rainy December morning.

12-11-22

There you can see one of the virtues of this Polaroid camera: its small fixed aperture provides plenty of depth for close shots, yet gives a pleasing blur to the distant background.

There you can see one of the virtues of this Polaroid camera: its small fixed aperture provides plenty of depth for close shots, yet gives a pleasing blur to the distant background.

TheSX-70 actually doen't have a fixed aperture. I've seen people all over the internet saying it does, but it doesn't. The maximum aperture is small, though. F8. That's why I got mine converted to use 600 film. The minimum aperture is f90, so in bright light you won't see the out of focus backgrounds. The exposure system is a program auto; it chooses the aperture and shutter speed.

polaroid-12-7-22-elhonan-3.jpg

Polaroid photograph of 19th Century headstones decorated with a small American flag at the El Honan Cemetery in rural Wells County, Indiana. I made this photograph on a very foggy morning in early December.

The El Honan Cemetery is a small cemetery on the southeast corner of CR1000N and CR600E in the northeast corner of Wells County. The cemetery, established in 1845, originally belonged to a Presbyterian church.

This is the last of three photographs that I made of the El Honan Cemetery on that foggy morning.

12-7-22

polaroid-12-11-22-penguipoint-1.jpg

A Polaroid snapshot of the sign in front of the last Penguin Point Restaurant in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The restaurant, located on Lower Huntington Road, just east of Winchester Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, closed forever in November, 2022. This is the first of three Polaroids that I made of it.

Penguin Point is an Indiana-based fast food chain that had several Fort Wayne locations when I was young; but for the last 25 years or so,the Waynedale location was the only one left in the city. They are still open in several small towns in northeast Indiana, though the number of small town locations has dwindled in recent years as well.

Waynedale was once an independent small town. In 1957, it was annexed by the city of Fort Wayne, but it still looks like a small town and still retains a small town culture. There are a lot of locally owned businesses here. Lower Huntington Road was and still is Waynedale's "Main Street."

12-11-22

polaroid-12-11-22-penguipoint-2.jpg

polaroid-12-11-22-penguipoint-3.jpg

A couple more Polaroids of the last Penguin Point Restaurant in Fort Wayne after it closed down. This is a northeast Indiana based fast food chain that has been around as long as I can remember. They used to have several in Ft. Wayne; there are still several in small town in the area.

1-25-23-snowfall-1.jpg

This tree is on the southeast corner of Sandpoint Road and Arbor Avenue in my neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I photographed it during a snowstorm yesterday morning.

The wind was blowing the snow really hard across the scene. It is hard to see in the web-sized image, but shows clearly in a print. I've included a magnified detail image so that you can see it. I was only outside about five minutes; but by the time I was finished, my beard and long hair were coated in thick sticky snow!

1-25-23-snowfall-1-detail.jpg

1-29-23-myhouse-1.jpg

Yesterday, I walked outside my house very early in the morning, before the sun rose, and discovered that the thick sheet of snow on top of the metal awning over the house's back door had begun to slide off. It had stopped part way, leaving part of it hanging off the awning like a blanket hanging off the side of a bed!

This is the first of two photographs that I made of it. I made the second several hours later, in normal daylight after the sun had come up.

1-29-23

1-25-23-snowfall-1.jpg

This tree is on the southeast corner of Sandpoint Road and Arbor Avenue in my neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I photographed it during a snowstorm yesterday morning.

The wind was blowing the snow really hard across the scene. It is hard to see in the web-sized image, but shows clearly in a print. I've included a magnified detail image so that you can see it. I was only outside about five minutes; but by the time I was finished, my beard and long hair were coated in thick sticky snow!

1-25-23-snowfall-1-detail.jpg
Sneaky probably thought to himself "What is wrong with my humin?"

PF

Back