Some new photos from Fort Wayne

This old grain silo is on a farm on County Road 750E, south of County Road 1100S, in rural Wells County, Indiana. It is being painted to look like a Minion from the Despicable Me movies.

The silo belongs to Kathy Stark. Shortly before his death in November, 2015, Kathy's husband Jim came up with the idea of painting the silo, whose shape and proportions were perfect for a Minion. In 2016, several young men in their family began work on transforming the silo into one of the iconic cartoon characters.

The Minion silo is out in the middle of nowhere, but it quickly attracted attention. The Washington Post and other national news organizations came out to Wells County to report on it! It wasn't yet completed when I made this photograph of it. They later added hair and other details.

I photographed it late in the evening, shortly before sunset.

6-11-16

This old grain silo is on a farm on County Road 750E, south of County Road 1100S, in rural Wells County, Indiana. It is being painted to look like a Minion from the Despicable Me movies.

The silo belongs to Kathy Stark. Shortly before his death in November, 2015, Kathy's husband Jim came up with the idea of painting the silo, whose shape and proportions were perfect for a Minion. In 2016, several young men in their family began work on transforming the silo into one of the iconic cartoon characters.

The Minion silo is out in the middle of nowhere, but it quickly attracted attention. The Washington Post and other national news organizations came out to Wells County to report on it! It wasn't yet completed when I made this photograph of it. They later added hair and other details.

I photographed it late in the evening, shortly before sunset. This photograph was made just a few minutes after I made my first photograph of the Minion silo. The light changes very quickly at the end of the day.

6-11-16

Update: I went back to the Minion Silo in December, 2022. I was disappointed to see that there were "Keep Out" and "No Trespassing" signs all over the property, and one of the minion's eyes had fallen off. The owners had been very welcoming and friendly when I photographed the silo in 2016.

This Chevy truck with a big American flag was waiting in the traffic jam that formed as thousands of people tried to leave the downtown area after the 2022 Fourth of July fireworks show in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This was on Superior Street between Calhoun Street and Harrison Street.

7-4-22

This Chevy truck with a big American flag was waiting in the traffic jam that formed as thousands of people tried to leave the downtown area after the 2022 Fourth of July fireworks show in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This was on Superior Street between Calhoun Street and Harrison Street.

7-4-22
That is an extremely common sight in the little enclave where I live. Any hour of any day just wait about five minutes and you’ll see a couple. The rest of western Washington, not so much.

Polaroid snapshot of a house decorated for Halloween with Jack-O-Lanterns on the doorstep. The house is on the southeast corner of Nelson Street and Jefferson Boulevard in the West Central neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is actually a side door on the house, not the front door.

Jack-O-Lanterns are pumpkins with faces carved into them. At night, candles (traditionally) or small battery-powered lights are put inside them to make the faces glow.

10-30-22

Men carrying a boat on the quay along the Saint Marys River in Promenade Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. This was at night on the Fourth of July, after the fireworks ended. A lot of people watched the fireworks from boats in the river at the park, which is a few blocks north of the building whose roof was used as a firing platform for the fireworks.

7-4-22

Polaroid snapshot of a heart-shaped hole in the trunk of a tree on the south side of Fourth Street, between Wells Street and Barthold Street, in the Bloomingdale neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

This is the first of two photographs that I made of the Heart Tree.

10-30-22

A gourd partially buried in leaves in a compost box in my parents' back yard. My mother had a bunch of these gourds on the front porch for Thanksgiving and Halloween decorations.

12-1-22

These kids were walking among the crowd on the Courthouse Green selling lighted balloons before the 2022 Fourth of July fireworks in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

7-4-22

My grandpa, John Westerfield, bought this aluminum jon boat, a flat bottomed rowboat, new in 1970. We spent a lot of time fishing in it when I was young. He gave it to me before he died in 1999. Since I've live in a lot of different place since then, it has been stored in my parents' back yard when I wasn't using it. It is old and losing its paint, but it still floats! It'll likely outlive me.

12-1-22

A group of teenagers sitting and standing on a gigantic tree stump in Promenade Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. This was in the early evening on the Fourth of July. The kids were waiting for the fireworks show to begin.

The tree stump they were using as a viewing platform is on the north bank of the Saint Marys River. I photographed them looking down from the Treetop Trail, an elevated walkway along the river in the northern section of the park.

7-4-22

Another from my huge backlog of old work I am trying to finish scanning and editing.

This discount tobacco store is located in a little shopping center on the northeast corner of Wells Street and Third Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The vacant storefront next to it used to be a methadone clinic.

I photographed it in the evening, as it was beginning to get dark outside.

9-9-20

A small white house on Arbor Avenue, south of Sandpoint Road, in my neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The house has a little enclosed entryway sticking out from the front of it.

6-25-22

Update: In November of 2022, the enclosed entryway was removed and replaced with an open front stoop with the roof held up by posts in the front corners.

This unwelcoming garden gnome stands in front of a house on the corner of Brighton Drive and Camden Drive in the Northcrest neighborhood on the north side of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The gnome is holding a sign that says "Go Away."

9-9-15

Last night, I photographed this house on Sandpoint Road, between Arbor Avenue and Woodheath Avenue, in my neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The colorful lights covering the house, and the big colorful 'gumdrop candy' lights on the roof, make it look like a gingerbread house!

I photographed the house the first time in 2021. The decorations were different then, but just as elaborate.

12-27-22

This house in my neighborhood has had this lighted nativity scene in their front yard during the Christmas season for many years. It is at the corner of Sandpoint Road and Tyrone Road in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I made this photograph very early in the morning, just before daybreak. I had photographed it the first time back in 2014; but that photograph was made during the day.

12-26-22

Back