Sony a7 a threat to Leica according to German newspaper WELT

A big drawback to the Sony A7 or A7r is the very loud shutter. Reminds me of the Leica M8. I am astonished that a camera released in 2013 would have such a loud shutter.

A big drawback to the Sony A7 or A7r is the very loud shutter. Reminds me of the Leica M8. I am astonished that a camera released in 2013 would have such a loud shutter.

They are not the same shutter. A7r vs A7.

A7 has ECS. A7r not. A7r is going to be louder for sure.

m240 is quiet?

anyway, appearance non-withstanding, a7 and a7r are not the same at all. body, sensor and guts: different.

Quoting jsrockit:
"The 36 mp version scares me - my computer can handle the 24mp - but would probably crash and burn with the larger file size - and I don't really need it."

This is one of the recurring concern is so hard to understand for me
I am currently working with a composite file made of four scanned photos, one 6x9 and 3 35 mm with a old CS4 on a 2008 PC (32 bit) and the file is about 1 Gb. No problem at all. For back-up I use a Samsung 1 Tera minuscule drive that takes energy from the USB connection.
Because I am very old I wish I could by a 100 Mpix 7r now, I am afraid hat when it will come it could be too late for me
Cheers
Paolo

It should be still smaller than the raw file of a dp Merrill which is around 45mb.

Gary

Let's wait and see how many photojournalists run with the Sony--

Why?

Most of the information on what "they" shoot is either not available, I am not aware of a reliable "list", or out of date. The "what Salgardo shoots" threads are constantly based on old data. Whatever he shoots, or this almost mythical band of photojournalists, will not influence buyers unless they are swayed by the we give you the gear you give us a good write up "photojournalists".

In fact a number of photojournalists covering current war zones are using compact cameras for security reasons. Many others use the gear that their employer, mostly agencies these days, provides from the gear pool. Due to the glass investment they rarely change brands.

Now if Tom buys one all bets are off !!!!

I am reading about poor performance with wide angle lenses on the new SONY cameras. Has this been verified or refuted?
It would be a major deal breaker.

I am reading about poor performance with wide angle lenses on the new SONY cameras. Has this been verified or refuted?
It would be a major deal breaker.

I thought this was just another camera? Now you are on pins and needles re WA RF performance?

Results are trickling in. 28cron is apparently quite good. ZM18 is reputed to be decent in the corners.

Trouble is everything is anecdotal and sample images are few and far between. We won't know for sure for a few weeks anyway. I'd guess, like the Nex-5n, it's case by case.

A7r allows creation of lens profiles in camera to address colorshift and vignetting.

"dealbreaker" has been so far applied to general looks, the hump, the shutter, lenses, AF, SONY name, and a bunch more.

Thought this camera did not interest you---or are you warming to it? :)

Would be nice if it takes M lenses and plays them well but I just hope it rocks with the native Zeiss lenses. If Zeiss brings a killer line for this system, I would never think about using a Leica lens on it. If I had and wanted to shoot Leica lenses I would use them on a Leica that is optimised for these lenses, not another camera that let them do weird things. It's obviously a bummer for people with a lot of Leica glass if it doesn't shoot Leica glass like the M9/M10.

I just hopes it works very well and Zeiss makes some jewels for it, I did not like the 24mm 1.8 Zeiss for NEX.

I would probably buy this over Canons High Mega Pixel Camera in the future.
I shoot a 5DII and a Contax G system 50/50. Very happy about the Contax G system, in digital I would like smaller form, higher res than 24mp and autofocus Zeiss so the resolving power is much more than the film Contax and less clumsy working than the 5DII.

The price is far from astronomical.

Will wait for more reviews, see if Fuji makes a noise, I'm in no hurry, there is nothing really wrong with the 5DII.
But if this turns out to be the first small format professional system and it kicks ass I will buy.

Results are trickling in. 28cron is apparently quite good.

That wasn't what everybody else saw when looking at the corners in Ron Scheffler's examples. The corners from the 28 cron were mush.

If you are referencing another link, please show it here. Thanks.

What I really found annoying with AF capable mount system is the fact that 99 % of the new lenses are all AF, full of electronics and thus very big. Compared to MF primes.

I would also go for native primes and forget adapted lenses if the manufacturers would offer small medium aperture full frame MF lenses in the range of a Color Skopar. But it doesn't happen. Even relatively slow AF lenses are such a big thing: transforms every compact camera body to a DSLR style camera.
And that's why I'm squinting again to my LTM/M lenses for this purpose. And why adapted lenses performance matters. And it's not only me.

If the system becomes successful maybe there will come some third party manual focus lenses designed for the system/sensor. Who knows :)

cant that statement be generally true, but not for the two lenses you cite? why do two examples by themselves, even if true, disprove that statement?

You wouldn't expect to win F1 races with a Ferrari engine mounted into a Toyota Yaris, would you ?

That wasn't what everybody else saw when looking at the corners in Ron Scheffler's examples. The corners from the 28 cron were mush.

Are you reading the thread?

I am referencing another camera. Ron tested the A7 which has a different sensor and lacks the gapless offset design which the A7r features. We did not expect the plain A7 to be great with RF glass.

I guess because the cameras look so similar people think there's no difference. The price difference alone should be a be a clue.

oh wait I forgot: the sky is falling ;)

Are you reading the thread?

I am referencing another camera. Ron tested the A7 which has a different sensor and lacks the gapless offset design which the A7r features. We did not expect the plain A7 to be great with RF glass.

I guess because the cameras look so similar people think there's no difference. The price difference alone should be a be a clue.

oh wait I forgot: the sky is falling ;)

Are you sure that the A7 lacks gapless offset peripheral microlenses? The CNET review suggest that both sensors have been designed to minimize the problems associated with peripheral vignetting....etc.

Last edited:
I am referencing another camera.

I suppose so, which is exactly why I wrote:

I don't know why you would not respond to my polite request, but it seems from your comments that you have lost your cool.

Please don't trouble yourself on my account. I have plenty of other places to look for accurate information offered in a respectful spirit of sharing.

I think the point several are making is that the A7r has not been tested in any meaningful way?

The point was that uhoh7 said in post #96 of this thread that the 28/2 Summicron Asph M "is apparently quite good". Although I have read through commentary and reviews, including both the linked Brian Smith test and the Ron Scheffler test, I cannot remember anybody else but Ron's test that specifically mentions the 28 'cron (and which shows the results to be quite mushy in the corners). Hence I politely asked for a link to that. Even though I sold my 28 cron some time ago, I am always eager to see how a lens that I know intimately performs on a new camera. Yet up to now, there has been some pouting and some chest-beating, but unfortunately no link that supports uhoh7's earlier assertion in post #96 of this thread about the cron 28. (My guess is that uhoh7 has mistaken the Leica 24/2.8 that was used by Brian Smith *on the A7r* for the 28/2 cron which was used on the A7 by Ron Scheffler. The mistake isn't a big deal, providing it doesn't become another internet myth, and uhoh7 should calm down).

Yes, it does appear that the A7r has not yet been tested in a meaningful way, and the differences between the A7 and the A7r are big enough to warrant careful distinction between the two.

It should be interesting, eh?!

Grandson made a camera from Legos blocks. Looks just like the A7.

Just my opinion, but I probably would not pick up a free one.

The point was that uhoh7 said in post #96 of this thread that the 28/2 Summicron Asph M "is apparently quite good". Although I have read through commentary and reviews, including both the linked Brian Smith test and the Ron Scheffler test, I cannot remember anybody else but Ron's test that specifically mentions the 28 'cron (and which shows the results to be quite mushy in the corners). Hence I politely asked for a link to that. Even though I sold my 28 cron some time ago, I am always eager to see how a lens that I know intimately performs on a new camera. Yet up to now, there has been some pouting and some chest-beating, but unfortunately no link that supports uhoh7's earlier assertion in post #96 of this thread about the cron 28. (My guess is that uhoh7 has mistaken the Leica 24/2.8 that was used by Brian Smith *on the A7r* for the 28/2 cron which was used on the A7 by Ron Scheffler. The mistake isn't a big deal, providing it doesn't become another internet myth, and uhoh7 should calm down).

Yes, it does appear that the A7r has not yet been tested in a meaningful way, and the differences between the A7 and the A7r are big enough to warrant careful distinction between the two.

It should be interesting, eh?!

no offense intended. Your post did not distinguish between the cameras and implied Ron's results had some significance for the camera we hope will perform well: the A7r.

I said "apparently" because 28cron results on A7r are heresay at this point. Check out RF WA A7 thread at FM if you want to see where i got the heresay. Theres a ton posts and I don't have time now to find the ref.

Once we have real images it will be easy to see. Now we don't.

Ignoring all the WA lens tests by Ron, have you looked at how sharp and uniform across the frame the samples by Ron using the Zeiss FE 55 f/1.8 and 35mm f/2.8 look coming out of the A7? Quite amazing I'd say. I can't wait to see how those lenses work on the A7R, without that AA filter and with the higher pixel count.

And buying all three Zeiss lenses and the Sony G lens for this system along with the A7R, IN TOTAL, will cost less than the Leica M240 body alone. I can't imagine how anybody without disposable income in the 5 digits could justify the Leica. lol

Back