Sony a7 a threat to Leica according to German newspaper WELT

For some, it is not a deal breaker if this camera is not great with Leica wides. If it works with 35mm lenses very nicely, then one can shoot one's Leica 35+ lenses and just add one (or two) Zeiss FE lenses wider than this i.e. a 24 or 21 and 28mm. You'll still save lots of money over buying a complete line of Zeiss FE lenses and therefore have a substantial saving compared to buying a M240.

Its worth reminding some people that if this camera does as well for Sony as seems likely, it will be the beginning of a very successful system. If you are planning on taking photos for the next decade, why not take a long term view about where you want to invest your money?

I'm thinking about whether this might work for me five plus years down the road and the problem here is that the M240 successor (or the one after that) won't be cheaper than the M240, so the A7 series miiiiight just be the cue some need to walk away from Leica.

I've got my monochrom and doubt I'll part with that anytime soon (if ever), but going forwards, I suspect it will be the last Leica I ever buy. I'm priced out of Leica's future, to be honest, and any temptation to save like hell for a colour Leica camera has slipped from my mind entirely.Thank goodness I have all the lenses I really need.

I guess some feel the need to rain on the A7 parade because they feel less secure in their M240/M9 ownership, but that's silly because nobody's pictures will get any worse for the creation of the A7R. To me this is about a potentially significant fork in the road, not instant teleportation!

Grandson made a camera from Legos blocks. Looks just like the A7.

Just my opinion, but I probably would not pick up a free one.
10316829136_e1e39482a9_z.jpg

Too bad you feel that way ;)

Now you can't have one.

BTW, since you are so in tune with camera "looks", please, which are the truly nice ones?

It may be, for most of us, your grandson has good taste. :)

I think these new FF cams from Sony are pretty neat. And somehow affordable for what they are trying to offer.

Could these be the best digital equivalents to the Hexar AF to date? I am eager to see full-rez images made with adapted m-mount lenses ... I bet there will be issues!

Good conversation.
I wonder if all these people still feel the same, 5 years later?

On a separate note, I would like to be be pointed a picture that would be valuable on a merit of "sharpness in corners" alone. Like as in "what a beautiful picture, look at this sharpness in corners, absence of Chromatic Aberrations is amazing"... If anybody knows of such picture, please feel free to throw it in my face.

On a separate note, I would like to be be pointed a picture that would be valuable on a merit of "sharpness in corners" alone. Like as in "what a beautiful picture, look at this sharpness in corners, absence of Chromatic Aberrations is amazing"... If anybody knows of such picture, please feel free to throw it in my face.

Well said!

Back