Sony a7II and leica lens? Real life experience?

Landberg

Well-known
Local time
10:33 AM
Hi!
I just won a brand new Sony A7II in a photo contest. I shoot with a Fuji X-Pro2 and i love it. But im really curious about the A7II with Leica lenses. I miss shooting with manual and zone-focus. I know that i can buy adapters to the fuji but the A7II is full frame.

Is the A7II + Leica lens just a gimmick or are people actually using it? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Not a gimmick.
I'm using earlier Sony A7 model with great results.
Many Leica M mount wide angle lenses will suffer on the Sony FF sensor.
I don't use anything wider than 35mm and so far am having great luck.
The Canon ltm 50mm f1.2 is especially nice for me. Also liking the Skopar f2.5/50mm and the Zeiss Contax SLR lenses.
I can imagine the A7ii with it's nicer grip and stabilized sensor is even nicer.
Congrats on the contest!

Lucky you! Best way to know is to try it, but from what I've read (and seen), it is not a myth. There are many youtube videos also showing how to manually focus

Not a gimmick.
I'm using earlier Sony A7 model with great results.
Many Leica M mount wide angle lenses will suffer on the Sony FF sensor.
I don't use anything wider than 35mm and so far am having great luck.
The Canon ltm 50mm f1.2 is especially nice for me. Also liking the Skopar f2.5/50mm and the Zeiss Contax SLR lenses.
I can imagine the A7ii with it's nicer grip and stabilized sensor is even nicer.
Congrats on the contest!

Thank you! The thing is that i don't want to spend all the money to test. If i try this i want to use my old best friend the summicron 35. I loved it when i shot with Leicas. But i sold it when switching to Fuji. To buy a new one i need to sell my Fuji :p. Luxury problems..

Lucky you! Best way to know is to try it, but from what I've read (and seen), it is not a myth. There are many youtube videos also showing how to manually focus

Thanks!

Thank you! The thing is that i don't want to spend all the money to test. If i try this i want to use my old best friend the summicron 35. I loved it when i shot with Leicas. But i sold it when switching to Fuji. To buy a new one i need to sell my Fuji :p. Luxury problems..

Thanks!

I use Fuji for autofocus and events and things I do for other people.
I would not sell my fuji to have the Sony and Summicron.
The Lenses I use I already had, I Added a used a7 for a 1/3 of new price to use as a universal back.... it's great.
In your case you may want to sell the camera while it's new.
Others may disagree but.... I would not change from Fuji to Sony system.... especially would not give up pro-2 and Fuji glass :D

Congratulations on the free camera!

Yes, many Leica-mount lenses will work just fine on the a7 series. For the most part, the lenses that cause problems are the older non-retrofocus wide angle designs that have the large rear elements. Leica M digital bodies have special microlenses as part of their sensor arrays that let them use these older designs; Sony cameras obviously don't have these. If you're primarily a 35mm & longer shooter or have few/none of these older lenses, this may not be a problem for you at all.

That said, I mostly use my a7r w/old manual focus SLR lenses, especially for defunct camera systems (Contarex, etc.). If I use Leica-mount lenses it's usually to take advantage of the Sony special features (waist level viewing, closer focusing w/Cosina Voigtlander adapter that has a built-in helical) or to use lenses that are out-of-spec/problematic (e.g., prone to focus-shift) on my Leica digital bodies.

This (fairly) recent thread covers a lot of the same ground as your question:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161454

Hi!
I just won a brand new Sony A7II in a photo contest. I shoot with a Fuji X-Pro2 and i love it. But im really curious about the A7II with Leica lenses. I miss shooting with manual and zone-focus. I know that i can buy adapters to the fuji but the A7II is full frame.

Is the A7II + Leica lens just a gimmick or are people actually using it? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
I use Fuji for autofocus and events and things I do for other people.
I would not sell my fuji to have the Sony and Summicron.
The Lenses I use I already had, I Added a used a7 for a 1/3 of new price to use as a universal back.... it's great.
In your case you may want to sell the camera while it's new.
Others may disagree but.... I would not change from Fuji to Sony system.... especially would not give up pro-2 and Fuji glass :D

That is my fear. I think i will stay with the Fuji. OR, sell them both and buy a Leica!;)

i have been very satisfied with my regular A7 with summicron asph 35 and 75 vc lens. produce great prints as well (BW and color). i see no reasons to switch to a used M240, esp since i can use my A7 to scan film and have no real issues with dirt on sensor as the leica digitals. once you get used to click to zoom and focus it's fast.

I use an original A7 to test lenses (with adapters) at my work, primarily Leica glass. It is a great alternative to a digital M, especially at a fraction of the cost. Seeing the full-coverage of a lens is great, and I can imagine it being great for personal / paid work as well.

However, my go-to digital body is a X-Pro1. I prefer the focus aid on the Fuji WAAAAAAAAAAY more than the Sony, plus you get those Fuji colors. The crop factor is something I've grown to like too, as it kinda "doubles" my lenses.

The A7II really shines with the in-body stabilization. I could see this being very beneficial with using longer length lenses. Using a 35mm, you'll have no problem on either camera.

Either way, both cameras are great for adapted lenses. I guess it would just come down to if you need full frame coverage and in-body IS.

How about autofocusing and image stabilization with an 80 year old lens?

Yep. It can be done with the A7-II.

If you find you don't want it, I'm looking to buy one. :)

I do not have an Sony A7 (yet) but do regularly use a Sony NEX 7 with Leica glass (and legacy SLR glass also). I can vouch for the relative efficiency and usability. Yes, it works pretty well. I do find however, that because I tend to like shooting wide open I do not necessarily find focus peaking a perfect solution to manual focusing. Even when focus peaking is set to the "Low" setting, the camera still does not identify the exact focus point - though it is useful to identify the approximate focus point. This means it is not brilliant for using a fast lens wide open. When focus peaking is set to "high" it is even less accurate (though more easily seen).

However I find the menu setting that allows the camera to automatically zoom when the zoom ring is rotated ideal when using Sony AF lenses. You can refine focus manually just by turning the focus ring and when you do the image automatically zooms. But with non electronic/ AF lenses that lack a CPU it is necessary to first press a button to manually magnify the image in the viewfinder. I presume the A7 is the same. This can be less than ideal with a moving subject (being slower) but works fine in other circumstances. It also helps to have a button within easy reach of the thumb which allows the zoom to be triggered without removing the eye from the viewfinder. Never the less overall I prefer the Nikon SLR focus system which provides focus confirmation in the viewfinder even when using a manual focus lens that lack a CPU (a dot lights up when the lens is exactly focused). This alleviates the need to fritz about with pressing buttons when focusing a manual lens.

Nevertheless overall I am happy with Sony cameras and Leica glass.

I have the A7SII, which I bought because I often shoot in very low light. It is a marvel for that. I do not have any e-mount lenses yet. I only use m-mount lenses, or ltm lenses with an ltm-to-m converter and an m-to-sony converter. I have not shot wider than 40mm (the Nokton which is a wonderful lens). I am rediscovering the joys of the older Canon lenses I bought when I was a buying lots of lenses, mostly back in my Epson days. Currently, I have been using the Canon 50 F.1.4 ltm and the "Canon Serenar 85mm f2.0 LTM". The latter is a joy to use on it, weight aside, and I like it better on the Sony than on my M9 (because I can compose and focus better on it.)

^^^
You are getting some great work with yours Severes_Babylone. :cool:
I really enjoy your flickr feed. All the concert stills are great!
The great low light work was a contributor to my seeking a used a7 for my Canon ltm f1.2/50mm.

Now that`s something that I have found yet :bang:

the button C1 next to the shutter is the zoom in to focus. I click that button before i decide to shoot so when i bring to my face i can manual focus like a focus patch. Then i touch the shutter once to come back to normal view to compose and shoot. take seconds to get dead focus, about the same time it takes to use the rf patch. even my gf who is non-technical knows how to use it. As any tools, use it enough and it's part of your workflow. it starts being transparent.

I´m getting the camera tomorrow. I´m thinking of buying the Voigtländer color-skopar 35/2.5 to test how i like the manual lens feeling. Anyone used this combo?

Back