Sony a7II and leica lens? Real life experience?

I´m getting the camera tomorrow. I´m thinking of buying the Voigtländer color-skopar 35/2.5 to test how i like the manual lens feeling. Anyone used this combo?

Which adapter?

I have a modified A7R that I use with M-mount lenses -- 21,25,28 35, 50. The Hex-M 28 and the longer FL's worked well before I got the thin filter modification from Kolari. The 21 and 25 were awful (smearing on the edges) before the mod, but completely fine after.

For an adapter, I use a Hawk close focus adapter which allows you to focus closer that the lens' minimum focusing distance. The mount is a a little wobbly on mine (version 1), but I think the latest one (version 5) has a tighter fit. The only other M to E mount focusing helicoid that I know of is the Voigtlander VM-E--it has better fit and finish, but a bit pricey (>$300).

The MFD on the Skopar is 0.7 meter. A focusing helicoid reduces that, if that's important to you.

Which adapter?

I have a modified A7R that I use with M-mount lenses -- 21,25,28 35, 50. The Hex-M 28 and the longer FL's worked well before I got the thin filter modification from Kolari. The 21 and 25 were awful (smearing on the edges) before the mod, but completely fine after.

For an adapter, I use a Hawk close focus adapter which allows you to focus closer that the lens' minimum focusing distance. The mount is a a little wobbly on mine (version 1), but I think the latest one (version 5) has a tighter fit. The only other M to E mount focusing helicoid that I know of is the Voigtlander VM-E--it has better fit and finish, but a bit pricey (>$300).

The MFD on the Skopar is 0.7 meter. A focusing helicoid reduces that, if that's important to you.

What does the mod do? Thanks for the advice. Do you have any photos taken this way i can look at?

I've owned an A7R that was also modded* and used it with M-mount lenses such as M-hexanon 35mm and VM Nokton 50mm 1.5.

Ultimately I sold the camera due to it's loud shutter. The image quality was very good, but the camera didn't feel intuitive or comfortable in my hands. The Pentax K-1 has been a big step up in build quality and ergonomics, and still stuffed with features. My favorite being in-body image stabilization which new sonys have of course.

From my understanding the A7rii with the same mod is a much improved camera. It looks like an interesting option with the techart auto focus adapter** for some of my rangefinder lenses as well as my Pentax K manual focus lenses. Especially my SMC K 85mm 1.8

* https://kolarivision.com/product/sony-a7-series-thin-filter-legacy-lens-upgrade/

** http://techartpro.com/product/techart-pro-leica-m-sony-e-autofocus-adapter/

What does the mod do? Thanks for the advice. Do you have any photos taken this way i can look at?

Hi Landberg, before you do any modification, see if your lenses work to your satisfaction. I have 1st version 28mm Elmarit that all the internet experts would say should perform badly due to the rear element being close to the sensor. I used it on a trip with an A7ii and the photos were fine, and I thought it was just me not being sensitive to what's in the corners. But even looking in the corners, I don't see it. Try before you buy (kolari mod)...

the button C1 next to the shutter is the zoom in to focus. I click that button before i decide to shoot so when i bring to my face i can manual focus like a focus patch. Then i touch the shutter once to come back to normal view to compose and shoot. take seconds to get dead focus, about the same time it takes to use the rf patch.

I second this. Works great. Equal or better to any manual focus experience I've had. The Sony implementation of focus magnification or just focus peaking w/o magnification makes focusing very effective.

Hi Landberg, before you do any modification, see if your lenses work to your satisfaction. I have 1st version 28mm Elmarit that all the internet experts would say should perform badly due to the rear element being close to the sensor. I used it on a trip with an A7ii and the photos were fine, and I thought it was just me not being sensitive to what's in the corners. But even looking in the corners, I don't see it. Try before you buy (kolari mod)...

+1
I have not seen any corner issues with my lenses.
I've seen images online of corner issues and improvements from the modification.
The lenses I have do not apply. You may find the same.

The mod improves edge and corner performance for adapted RF wide angle lenses. My Zeiss 25/2.8 Biogon is one of my favorites but there was a lot of edge smearing when I mounted his lens on my A7R. The mod eliminated the smearing (at least to the naked eye). Same with the 21mm. The Hex-M 28, my 35's and 50's were fine even before the mod.

As others have said, shoot that combo first before making any mods. That body and lens combo could very well be fine even without the mod.

As for photos, I don't think I have any of the 'before' photos so I can't really show a before and after comparison. The 'after' photos won't help much because they just appear like 'normal' images, which was the intent.

Here's some background from the Kolari site:

https://kolarivision.com/product/sony-a7-series-thin-filter-legacy-lens-upgrade/

The Techart autofocus adapter for Leica M is the bee’s knees for adapting Leica lenses for the A7 II and later cameras. Used in conjunction with an LTM to M adapter, you can autofocus with lenses up to 90mm, and use the lens helical to allow close focus. It can also be used with M adapters to many other legacy lenses. Yes, it is quite pricey, but it lets you use autofocus on so many classic lenses.

31579727177_af69b9c5cb_c.jpg

Yes, the TechArt Pro is fantastic. They were on sale a couple of weeks ago for $100 off at B&H.

It will autofocus above 90mm too. The 135mm setting defaults to AF off but that can be changed with their app or just turned on in camera. AF above 50mm may require some pre-focusing as the TAP focusing range may not be enough for close focus on longer focal lengths. The ability to focus in really close is nice too.

Shawn

Yes, the TechArt Pro is fantastic. They were on sale a couple of weeks ago for $100 off at B&H.

It will autofocus above 90mm too. The 135mm setting defaults to AF off but that can be changed with their app or just turned on in camera. AF above 50mm may require some pre-focusing as the TAP focusing range may not be enough for close focus on longer focal lengths. The ability to focus in really close is nice too.

Shawn

This was at a focal distance of about eleven inches using a Zeiss Biogon LTM. It also eliminates the edge smear that I got with this Bigon using a normal LTM adapter.

DSC06684 by Mike Novak, on Flickr

I really wish I had seen the $100 sale for the Tech Art adapter in time. Bummer.

Seems like a great option fo shoot RF lenses on a Sony. I've been using the Voigtlander VM-E and it's wonderful. Having the closer minimum focus possibilities is quite handy, and with some lenses that on the A7Rii would focus just a tad past infinity you can just correct infinity on the adapter easily and then just focus the lens like you'd normally do.

As many have said, wides can display too much field curvature so you get wide open shots with melted backgrounds that get in focus towards the corners. looks weird. But it's not like it will drive you mad 100% of the time. More like 30%.

This is the ZM Planar 50/2 wide open on a Sony A7Rii.

b7Skghg.jpg

and a 1:1 crop
3iRVVyb.png

It was a great deal at $249 from B&H with free shipping. I use mine mostly with RF lenses. Works well and focuses fast. I really like it with a Canon RF 50 1.2. The lens has an infinity lock which keeps the lens were it needs to be for AF with the TAP at regular focus distances.

Shawn

I use a simple adapter to Canon FD, a Canon FD to M42 converter, and then put a Panagor 55mm 3.0 macro lens on it. Altogether it was something like 70 euros and it gets me shots like this:

20181223-DSC03088.jpg

without any trouble. Seems a bit silly to spend that much on an AF adapter when you need a tripod for good macro work anyway. Focusing manually is simple as pie with the focus enlargement from the Sony...

The adapter isn't about macro, it is for regular shooting. Because of how it works it it also allows for lenses to be focused closer than their minimum focus distance. This is handy on LTM lenses that typically limited to a meter. My 35mm UC Hexanon will focus to about a foot on the TAP. The Voigtlander VM-E offers a similar functionality without the AF of course.

To be able to use existing lenses (and gain AF) this adapter is a deal IMO.

Shawn

I haven't used any Leica lenses on my A7II, but I've had great results from my old Nikon F Non-AI lenses from 20mm to 300mm. Buy a good adapter to start. I found it's worth the extra cost. The only RF lens I've used is a LTM Canon 50mm f1.8 and i am very pleased with the results. (FWIW, manual focus is very easy with the A7II.)

I don't (yet) have an A7 but I do have an NEX 7 and regularly use manual focus lenses including Leica ones and many other brands on it with suitable adapters. No gimmick it works really well. In fact I find it somewhat easier to focus than when using a Leica body. The image results are great and as Leica glass was designed for full frame (ie film cameras) they work fine on Sony FF bodies. Except possibly as one poster noted a few very wide angles which present light rays from the other edges at too acute an angle for sensors to cope with creating problems.

Thank you! The thing is that i don't want to spend all the money to test. If i try this i want to use my old best friend the summicron 35. I loved it when i shot with Leicas. But i sold it when switching to Fuji. To buy a new one i need to sell my Fuji :p. Luxury problems..

LensRentals.com - A great way to test gear that you might want to buy. And, in some cases, if you like the item, you can pay a very reasonable (but not bargain) used equipment price and just keep it.

Plus they check every lens on purchase and between rentals. I think this reduces the risk of getting a lemon.

Back