Sony RX10.1 Setup Info

Dave Jenkins

Loose Canon
Local time
7:28 PM
From the topics listed, it looks as if this forum is almost exclusively RX1 users. But I'll take a chance that there may be an RX10 user or two lurking about and ask my question: Could anyone point me to a good source of information about setting up and using the RX10? I downloaded the manual from Sony, but it's 480 pages and hard to make sense of in many places.

I'm interested in still photography only.

From the topics listed, it looks as if this forum is almost exclusively RX1 users. But I'll take a chance that there may be an RX10 user or two lurking about and ask my question: Could anyone point me to a good source of information about setting up and using the RX10? I downloaded the manual from Sony, but it's 480 pages and hard to make sense of in many places.

I'm interested in still photography only.

I can't provide a link to a source of information on the internet (since I never did find one :rolleyes:) but if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

I've had an RX10 for around 1½ years, and in that time I have managed to hone the set-up to my liking. At risk of stating the obvious, the set-up of a camera is a rather subjective matter, and a set-up which suits me, might not suit you. However, I'd be happy to try and help where I can - just ask.

Thanks very much for your kind offer. I spent about an hour with the camera today and got a good many things worked out. We'll see how it goes. I'm surprised there isn't more information available online. Too bad there isn't a forum for this camera, as for so many others, but perhaps there just aren't that many RX10 users around.

Check out the Gary Fong instruction videos on YouTube. Just go tomyoutube under search, type "Gary Fong Rx10"..

I recently picked up a used rx10mk2 at a price that satisfied my gear head curiosity about this bridge camera. I had an easier time of it than u because I previously owned a rx100. The setup screens for the rx100 and rx100 are pretty close. I only had some questions about some of the new functionally that I found video info from YouTube that helped answer my questions.

If I remember correctly, there was a very detailed instruction guide as well by someone else, that I found boring because I already knew the info he was talking about but he didn't go into the new stuff I wanted.

Also try a general search like "rx10 setup instructions"..

Good luck
Gary

I think of the rx10 as the big brother to the rx100, so I would suspect that is probably best place to post anything.

Gary

I'm surprised there isn't more information available online. Too bad there isn't a forum for this camera, as for so many others, but perhaps there just aren't that many RX10 users around.

I agree - there's a surprising dearth of RX10 information.:(

GaryLH is right about the operational similarities to the RX100, and his suggestions probably represent the best approach.

Sony movie button implementation is still the stupidest and lamest in the industry. I haven't figured out how to do what I want yet. They have both a movie button and a movie selection on the selection mode dial. U select the movie on the mode dial, it still request u use the stupid movie button. U cannot reprogram the red movie button for something else and just use the shutter release to start the movie. To me is is more natural to use the shutter release.. Why have a movie select on the mode dial if u end up using the movie button anyway. U can actually start the movie recording in the default setup w/o selecting movie mode. The only reason they have the mode seems for people who don't want to accidentally hit the movie button. But on the rx10, the location is such that it cannot accidentally be hit like the original design on the nex5n.

If anyone knows the trick, please let me know.

Thanks
Gary

Sony movie button implementation is still the stupidest and lamest in the industry. I haven't figured out how to do what I want yet. They have both a movie button and a movie selection on the selection mode dial. U select the movie on the mode dial, it still request u use the stupid movie button. U cannot reprogram the red movie button for something else and just use the shutter release to start the movie. To me is is more natural to use the shutter release.. Why have a movie select on the mode dial if u end up using the movie button anyway. U can actually start the movie recording in the default setup w/o selecting movie mode. The only reason they have the mode seems for people who don't want to accidentally hit the movie button. But on the rx10, the location is such that it cannot accidentally be hit like the original design on the nex5n.

If anyone knows the trick, please let me know.

Thanks
Gary

What especially bothers me is that, in movie mode (on the dial), one loses fully manual control over exposure, and I can't for the life of me figure out why or how to change this.

Sony has also purposefully retarded the camera so that it only offers 8-bit video out the hdmi port. It should offer 10-bit. I suppose they're protecting their professional line.

Honestly, the Leica SL is a somewhat attractive alternative to the A7SII or A7RII simply because it offers 10-bit video out on a full frame sensor (I can't think of a less expensive camera that does). That said, so the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera has the most beautiful internal 10-bit 1080p video, and it was released 3 or so years ago.

I have a RX10II, which I bought August 2015 for video, since, expecially during the good season, it is three years tha I mostly shoot video.
Alas it is 8 bit 4:2:0!
The manual is atrocious for me.
But I tend to set all manual except the autofocus. For video I fucus beforehand then block the focus with a dedicated button I have set
Recently I took the camera to an exhibit at the National Gallery of Modern Art here in Rome, where one can take pictures, provided flash is not used. This was because I thought that I could take advantage of its zoom, and it was a good decision.
I was favorably impressed by the pictures, although I need to learn more about shooting in those light conditions
My main complaints are:
1- Yes me too, I am not able to understand what for is movie mode (and I never use it)
2- The lens, albeit minimally, flares when I shoot a sunset including the sun, although I used a Lee graduated filter (and compendium shade).
I am not been able to use the memory function, which appears greyed in the menus. I don't know why.
3- No wireless remote ( a remote is a must for me)
4- Neither I was able to shoot video using Sony's app on my Z5 plus smartphone
5- The already mentioned 8 bit limitation. It seems to me that it is very hard to reproduce exactly the colours that I see in my clips.
Cheers
Paolo

PS for the mod
When takes to me more than a couple minutes to write a post, I find myself logged out
This make me nervous and explain (alas in part!) the too many spelling errors

PS for the mod
When takes to me more than a couple minutes to write a post, I find myself logged out

I agree. I don't want to sound like a whinger, since RFF is a great site and this is my only complaint... but I must say that this particular aspect is a PITA.

3- No wireless remote ( a remote is a must for me)

I've taken to using a mechanical cable again, screwed into the tapered thread on the shutter button. I find that this set-up works really well, and somehow feels a little more 'connected' with the camera than a wireless remote.

Back