Sony RX1R II announced

Using uncompressed raw, I don't think lens corrections are baked-in. Maybe there was a setting that I missed.
The original version does not offer uncompressed RAW. Anyway, you need to allow for the correction in the RAW converter.

It's as well made a camera as I've encountered in the digital era
I'm actually not that impressed by the build quality. I have had mine (RX1R) for a bit more than two years, and it has a dent on the manual focus ring that affects the MF smoothness (this was apparently caused by the weight of the M8 on top of it in my shoulder bag!) and recently I noticed a crack on the backside of the camera. I have no idea where that could have come from. The camera has never been dropped or banged heavily against anything, although I have used it a lot.

The original version does not offer uncompressed RAW. Anyway, you need to allow for the correction in the RAW converter.

I'm actually not that impressed by the build quality. I have had mine (RX1R) for a bit more than two years, and it has a dent on the manual focus ring that affects the MF smoothness (this was apparently caused by the weight of the M8 on top of it in my shoulder bag!) and recently I noticed a crack on the backside of the camera. I have no idea where that could have come from. The camera has never been dropped or banged heavily against anything, although I have used it a lot.

I'm talking about the RX1R mkII not the original RX1/R. The focus ring does have some scratchiness to it/it can be squeezed and frozen in place..

Yes, of course, but these two are practically the same design in many parts. Much of what is known for the original model holds for the new one.

I'd love to hear user reviews if anyone can get get one. @jsrockit John, we seem to have similar tastes/requirements. Let us know ASAP!

Yes, of course, but these two are practically the same design in many parts. Much of what is known for the original model holds for the new one.

True, just reiterating that point to highlight the use of uncompressed raw.

One thing that I found funny is that the lovely metal lens cap actually is plastic on the part that grips to the filter threads...probably better that way, but still looks like posing to me.

I've used the 50 Apo-Summicon before, and the aperture dial on the RX1 is way better, and so is the X100's. So you're going to have build issues even with a $7k flagship...(but you somehow won't have build issues with a 50 year old 50mm Summicron DR).

Back