Straps and strap lugs for mamiya

seany65

Well-known
Local time
6:10 PM
As per usual I'm not sure where to shove this, so if anyone's got any suggestions, fell free to tell me.

Anyway, I've just bought a mamiya M645 1000S and I'm looking for a wide-ish neck strap for it, but in Mamiya's "wisdom", they put round lugs on the body and it's hard to find proper Mamiya straps for it that don't cost £60 - £80, prices which I'm not too keen on paying. There are some "Mamiya" straps with metal lugs that are half that price, but the the metal bits on the ends don't look the same as they do on the more expensive straps. I've also seen separate metal ends that straps can be attached to but some of them look different and I'm not sure any of them are strong enough nor are the correct fitting.

So I'm asking if any members can offer any advice about which metal strap ends are actually usable and which should be avoided. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the Mamiya's lugs, so I googled a picture. They look the same as those used on many cameras; my old Bronicas, Pentaxes, Kowa Six etc. will all take the same strap with the same attachment. Hasselblad looks the same, but is slightly smaller, so doesn't work. I have a strap from a Chinese seller on ebay that I purchased for the Kowa (although it says "Pentacon") and it fits all those cameras. I think the seller just changes the name on the strap, depending on the listing.
In any case, it cost about $30.00 and is nice quality nylon webbing with a width that works well for heavier cameras. Try searching ebay for "neck strap Mamiya" or something similar. You'll probably come up with a wide range, from bare-bones to expensive fancy leather. There are some really nice straps from China at a fraction of the cost of OEM equipment.

I'm not sure if the OP Tech straps are available where you are located (I'm guessing UK based on your currency), but their Super Pro Strap comes in two different lug connectors. I think the Version B should fit your M645 1000S:

I would have said that this is what you need. Make sure to check out the chart, linked on that page, that shows which version is compatible with which cameras--although looking at your camera, I'm not sure any of those are actually going to work on the lugs I can see on the 1000S, honestly.

These are produced in the US, but I've frequently found them available, at not unreasonable prices, in the UK. Try Amazon, or some of the other camera retailers (including Aperture in London.) In fact, when I was working in London I found one of these straps (I can't remember where now) to use on my RZ67. They are great with heavier cameras. I use them on all my DSLRs with pro lenses, my film Nikons with motor drives, and on my RZ67. Very comfortable, secure, and durable.

You might have to combine one of those straps with some connectors off eBay--there seem to be many offered which claim to be compatible with your camera, if the connectors on the Op//Tech straps prove not to fit.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and info. I have searched ebay/PicClick UK (a quicker way of searching ebay with all the pics on one page) and saw plenty of straps going for £69 - £85 ! Anyway, there area couple of Chinese ones going for £28 - £30. I'm a little puzzled by the fitting on the Op-Tech strap that is compatible with Mamiya having a squared-off bit on which the camera rests when the narrower part of the lug being round. I'm also not sure about the plastic clips that hold the padded part to the narrow part, seems like a weak point to me. Anyway, here's two of the Chinese straps, If anyone knows which metal bit is "best" let me know. To me, the one on the left looks weakest, although the strap is wider. Also, I see that the metal "ends" are available on their own, are they worth getting and putting onto a strap, or would the thinness of the metal wear away the strap quickly?:

Attachments

• strap 1.jpg
    strap 1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 13
  • strap 2.jpg
    strap 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
  • strap lugs 1.jpg
    strap lugs 1.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the replies and info. I have searched ebay/PicClick UK (a quicker way of searching ebay with all the pics on one page) and saw plenty of straps going for £69 - £85 ! Anyway, there area couple of Chinese ones going for £28 - £30. I'm a little puzzled by the fitting on the Op-Tech strap that is compatible with Mamiya having a squared-off bit on which the camera rests when the narrower part of the lug being round. I'm also not sure about the plastic clips that hold the padded part to the narrow part, seems like a weak point to me. Anyway, here's two of the Chinese straps, If anyone knows which metal bit is "best" let me know. To me, the one on the left looks weakest, althought the strap is wider:
The one on the right is exactly what I have. Well made and quite secure.

I would go with the ones in the far right photo...they look like the original ones I have...the post on the camera is about 4mm wide.
They also allow you to put the strap of your choice on the camera.

nikon_sam, I presume you mean the separate strap lugs? They do look reasonably solid, and I am tempted, but I'm not sure about the thin horizontal bit the strap threads through. I'd be a bit less worried if the edge of those bits were rounded. On the other hand, the strap ends of "strap 2" do look a bit more sturdy. On the other hand "looking sturdy" is no guarantee. Bah! If only I wasn't such a "ditherer". On the other hand (Err, just how many hands have I got?) deciding quickly hasn't always turned out to be a good idea.

nikon_sam, Thanks for the extra info. I may just get the strap lugs and then spend a lot of time looking for a strap that looks strong enough. lol.

I'm a little puzzled by the fitting on the Op-Tech strap that is compatible with Mamiya having a squared-off bit on which the camera rests when the narrower part of the lug being round.

That's because on some Mamiya cameras--like my RZ67--the strap lugs on the body are square instead of round.

I've just had a close look at the manual for the 1000s, and in that, the strap's metal bits have squared-off inner edges, and yet all the straps and separate metal bits described and being for the 1000s on ebay, have round inner metal bits, and those with squared-off bits are described as being for RB/RZ/tlrs.

I'm not sure what to think now, especially as I've ordered a strap like the one in the middle photo of post 5.

Well the strap I ordered has arrived, with it's rounded inner bits on the strap lugs, and it fits perfectly. The width of the strap is a little narrower than I'd like, but it seems strong enough. I decided to not get the separate lugs and strap as that would've been more expensive. Here's a pic (dunno why the thumbnail looks like a close up):

Attachments

• strappy.jpg
    strappy.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 6
Does anyone else find that they have to faff-about turning the strap lugs around just to untwist the strap every time they pick up their camera?

Back