Leica LTM Summar of Love (Leitz Summar Sample Pics)

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses

NickTrop

Mentor
Local time
3:04 PM
Foolin' around with my one and only Leica lens, a 30's Summar screwed on to a Zorki 4K. This sample is above average but has its share of scratches, a bubble, and some light haze... goes of to DAG a little later this year. By most criteria, this lens sucks - it's not sharp, certainly not high contrast, hates "into the light" shots, not the lens to use in overcast (the more light the better), forget wide apertures, shadow detail? What's that?... But man, nothing takes a more interesting pic than this thing when it wants to, especially people shots - seems to have a mind of its own. I also excels 3-D "pop" strangely at small apertures - 5.6, and smaller even. I really like this lens but it's not an everyday lens. Results are unpredictable, but that's what makes it fun.

Attachments

• summar022-web.jpg
    summar022-web.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 12
  • summar024-web.jpg
    summar024-web.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 12
  • summarvs-web.jpg
    summarvs-web.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 9
Some Black and Whites

Some Black and Whites

Some black and whites with the Summar

Attachments

• summarvs4-web.jpg
    summarvs4-web.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5
  • summarvs3-web2.jpg
    summarvs3-web2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 6
The lens does seem to have its share of problems, though the first picture is charming. I had one for a few months and called it my Indian Summar.

payasam said:
The lens does seem to have its share of problems, though the first picture is charming. I had one for a few months and called it my Indian Summar.

While not gallery pieces, these were scanned from prints on an inexpensive flatbed scanner. The prints look a good deal better - a little more contrast and sharper so the lens itself isn't as bad as these scans would indicate in these areas. Maybe this isn't as good a gauge of this lens as I intended for others who might be interested in it, but I like it enough to send it out for a CLA and intend on using it again... often.

If you work with it after it's had a good cleaning, perhaps it will not remain unpredictable and you'll be able to use it when you want the effects it gives.

To Summarize

To Summarize

Hi NickTrop:

I particulary like the second color picture, but I see what I have come to know as the Summar thumbprint in all of those you posted: the dreamy quality. But then, as you say, there's a surprise one from time to time.

David

Attachments

• 40640021.jpg
    40640021.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 4
  • 40640023.jpg
    40640023.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 15860003.jpg
    15860003.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 4
Summar Shot in the 440000 series serial

Summar Shot in the 440000 series serial

Here is a shot in the hazy sunlight at f4 with the Summar on Neopan 100 developed in Rodinal.
Low res scan of negative. Lens is good after I disassembled and cleaned.
Still some internal specs and very minor haze.
Reassembly of the diaphragm was very difficult and time consuming.
I never got the f-stop marks to line up with the f-stop numbers on the selector dial, so I just scribed a new index mark. The index mark was off when I first received the lens so I think it was actually re-assembled from different front and rear sections of two lenses, but results say it is at least functional.

Attachments

• SummarT.jpg
    SummarT.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 7
Ozarque -- the slotted actuator ring for the aperture in the Summar may be rotated "not quite exactly" 180 degrees.

To everyone, it's a surprisingly good lens if you get a good specimen, at least stopped down. It's always nuts wide open. But you need to find one with unscratched front element, and clean out all internal haze.

One of the last pictures I took with my Summar last month,

RM090950.jpg

Leica IIIc + Summar + expired "LUCKY" 100 ISO B/W film
War Photographer at the Siegfried line near Vaals (NL)

Hey Mabelsound:

Did you 6-bit code your Summar to work on the M8? If so, what did you code your lens as?

If it's uncoded, have you noticed any color shifts?

I have a Summar too and agree with all the comments about its qualities. I have found it works well on my Lumix G1 and with a bit of Lightroom adjusting produces some unique pictures.

Although not to ozarque's standard I did do a minimum lens clean using a Carl Ziess cleaning kit, it is quite easy to unscrew the front element group. I didn't touch the diaphragm but carefully cleaned through it when wide open. The haze was suddenly gone! I did this on my Summitar too and this showed a marked improvement

Some Summar Images with Ilford XP2, taken at Fort Veldhuis Heemskerk (The Netherlands)

HK100813.jpg

HK100814.jpg

I really need to fix the light seals under the slow speed dial of my IIIc

HK100831.jpg

attachment.php

Leica Summar 50 f/2 1938, FIKUS hood on M8 body.

I love the warm tones and light contrast on this lens. It's been my regular go-to lens for close-up shots. It certainly delivers a film-like quality to this digital camera.

Attachments

• 45842_853310107758_21710413_46192772_5881488_n.jpg
    45842_853310107758_21710413_46192772_5881488_n.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2
Back