Sweep Panorama in A7

ernesto

Well-known
Local time
12:29 AM
I wonder if the sweep panorama option should be taken seriously or dismiss, and take the separated images to be composed with a stitching software. I have already the manfrotto panohead 303.
t380x390_1ce3aa8f438b17ab7a6c96be26acd0b1.jpg

I intend to use the images in a panorama viewer as Quicktime, Panotools, Smothmove etc.
http://www.panoramas.dk/2010/winter-in-denmark.html

Ernesto

I think it depends on what camera you are using in Sweep Mode. I know my Nikon P7700 sometimes has fits with things like clouds, and trees. I usually do better with it by stitching multiple frames together. And getting the timing of the sweep down is something I still haven't done. I'm either too fast, or too slow.

PF

Sweep panorama's forte is the immediate feedback on composition. That's helpful both when shooting handheld and from a tripod. When shooting handheld, it's nearly impossible to shoot a sequence that stitches perfectly later on. And when shooting on a tripod, the sweep allows a preview of what'll be the end-product. For maximum quality, you can shoot a sequence after that with optimum exposure etc..

When shooting handheld, it's nearly impossible to shoot a sequence that stitches perfectly later on.
Only in the case of having something in the immediate foreground. And for a practical definition of 'perfectly', of course.

The real panorama challenge I often face is water.

Use the same function often on my Sony phone.. it struggles with going from light - dark and vice-versa apart from that it made me want a true pano camera

you can meter separately in difficult situations by setting to manual focus, making the c1 button a 'focus' button, leaving the shutter 1/2 press to meter only. then simply 'focus' via the c1, meter the spot you want via the shutter 1/2 press, recompose and fully depress and pan. works great.

just made my frist tries, and found the 'sweep panorama' quite amazing. so easy to do, great for me who usually, traveling, doesn't carry any tripod
while sweeping the level indicator is very useful

Nhon Hai
by andreas, on Flickr

Nhon Hai
by andreas, on Flickr

Nhon Hai
by andreas, on Flickr, Skopar 4/21, Sony A7, sweep panorama

Actually NOT taken with the Sony A7 but sweep panorama mode of Sony NEX5n ( still thought to best add it here )

Untitled by andreas, on Flickr C.V. Heliar f4.5/15mm, Sony NEX5n, Da Nang, Vietnam 2019

Back