Ten Years After

nemjo

Local time
1:51 AM
It was on 13th of July in 2006 when I got my RD-1s from Robert White. Sometime I feel it was extremely long ago, sometime as it was yesterday.
I used the camera exclusively for years. Became somewhat disloyal in 2012 as I bought a Sony Nex 7. To be sincere it was not the camera on it's own right what made me change, but the possibility to use the Contax G lenses - they are wonderful to be honest.
As the 10th anniversary came I thought more about the Epson and planned to celebrate it. Unfortunately the weather was brutal here these days, so nothing to photograph. Today I couldn't resist. Took the 28 amd 35 Ultrons along with the 50 Nokton. Sure, they are wonderful too. Now it is very possible that the good old Epson gets a second chance.

_EPS5495.jpg

Ultron 28

_EPS5507.jpg

Ultron 35

_EPS5518.jpg

Nokton 50

nemjo

ps.: How are yours?

if that camera could shoot only 2-3 frames per second i would still be using it every day! love the clarity and colors. love the simplicity.

one of the cameras I regret selling. I dont mind my M8 now but there's something about the RD-1 that I preferred to the M8.

Although it was the first digital rangefinder camera ever created, it's still an all time favourite for me. Despite the 6mp sensor, it's still a bucket of fun every time.

Cheers,

Bought mine in 2009, when it was already 4 years old.
It's been my main digital RF since then.

It's developed the nasty habit of shooting blank frames every once in a while.

When it happens to me - and it happens quite often - I think, that was the photo of my life.:bang:
But that also means that all of my photos of life wanted to come through the RD-1:p

nemjo

Wow, this thread was a fun read. Looks like I'm not the only one to have moved on to newer and "greater" cameras only to miss the R-D1.

I sold my R-D1 in 2009 or so and "upgraded" to a leica M8, and eventually went to the M9-P. While the resolution and clarity/detail is obviously improved, and the lower crop factor (and full frame in the M9P) was nice, the images always came out looking a bit flat compared to what I was used to getting from the R-D1. I'd crank vibrance/contrast and fiddle with white/black points in post trying to recreate the R-D1 look, but I just can't. The R-D1 had a very lush, natural saturation to its images that I haven't found anywhere else (other than some well exposed slide film). The way it handled color along with the rich inky blacks - such a lovely look.

Almost tempted to get another RD1.... on top of the image characteristics, I absolutely loved the handling and feel of operating the camera. digital with a manual shutter crank, dials to set ISO, analog needles, and that lovely 1x viewfinder.... it was absolutely perfect with my 40mm nokton 1.4!

K0sOkSjl.jpg

h3ft6qSl.jpg

dLfYkDHl.jpg

aIm9QHQl.jpg

vNL6bW2l.jpg

wQFYFAul.jpg

3bRq3AFl.jpg

It's developed the nasty habit of shooting blank frames every once in a while.
My R-D1 started shooting some blanks as well a few years ago. I got rid off the battery I used when this happened, and never experienced the issue again. Cure or coincidence.

Ha! That's an other phenomenon! Fortunately I've never seen that personally. What I ment is simly take a picture of the lenscap (left on).

nemjo

My R-D1 started shooting some blanks as well a few years ago. I got rid off the battery I used when this happened, and never experienced the issue again. Cure or coincidence.

I'm hoping it is a battery issue. But I have tried several different batteries. From what I can tell it's the shutter failing to fire.
The chance of it happening seems to be greatly reduced with shooting in JPG instead of RAW

I've had some low-capacity batteries before that would send the camera to sleep mode after taking a photo. That's annoying as well.

Apart from the issues I still love the R-D1. I know it's never happening but I'd love to see an up-sensored version of it..

Hi to you all.
I still use an Epson R-D1, one of my favorite camera ever.
I'm part of a Facebook group dedicated to the R-D1: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epsonrd1/?fref=ts (sadly, not one of the most popular group for photographers)
Well, I'm not the only one here... ;-)

I went to your facebook group and found it to be locked. Are there photos there that you'd like us to look at? Thanks.

I went to your facebook group and found it to be locked. Are there photos there that you'd like us to look at? Thanks.
I’m not the group admin, and yes, the group is closed, but anyone who has a Facebook account can ask to join or be added or invited by a member.

Wow, this thread was a fun read. Looks like I'm not the only one to have moved on to newer and "greater" cameras only to miss the R-D1.

I sold my R-D1 in 2009 or so and "upgraded" to a leica M8, and eventually went to the M9-P. While the resolution and clarity/detail is obviously improved, and the lower crop factor (and full frame in the M9P) was nice, the images always came out looking a bit flat compared to what I was used to getting from the R-D1. I'd crank vibrance/contrast and fiddle with white/black points in post trying to recreate the R-D1 look, but I just can't. The R-D1 had a very lush, natural saturation to its images that I haven't found anywhere else (other than some well exposed slide film). The way it handled color along with the rich inky blacks - such a lovely look.

Almost tempted to get another RD1.... on top of the image characteristics, I absolutely loved the handling and feel of operating the camera. digital with a manual shutter crank, dials to set ISO, analog needles, and that lovely 1x viewfinder.... it was absolutely perfect with my 40mm nokton 1.4!

K0sOkSjl.jpg

h3ft6qSl.jpg

dLfYkDHl.jpg

aIm9QHQl.jpg

vNL6bW2l.jpg

wQFYFAul.jpg

3bRq3AFl.jpg

Nice cinematic look to these.

Bought one, loved it but sold it to finance an M8. Didn't love that, sold it to finance another RD1, loved it but sold it to finance an M9. Did love that but missed my Epson, bought another and you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Back