Ten Years After

The image quality from that 'old' technology is excellent!! Have you made prints from RD1 files? If so, what's the largest print size you can make with those files and have a print that looks like the images you've shown here? Thanks.

The image quality from that 'old' technology is excellent!! Have you made prints from RD1 files? If so, what's the largest print size you can make with those files and have a print that looks like the images you've shown here? Thanks.

Up to A2 and roll (mostly fine art papers) with my Epson desktop printers (Pro and Stylus Photo).

I owned one of these for a couple of years, and enjoyed using it. But backlash in the RF system made focusing fast lenses wide open dicey and I, like many here, sold it to purchase an M8, which in turn was sold to make way for an M9, which I do prefer over the RD-1.

For those who pine for the RD-1, I have a question: do you think it was the imaging chip or the "haptics" that made the camera a classic for you? I ask, because when I have become nostalgic for the RD-1 IQ, I have thought about purchasing a Nikon D100 used. Same chip and all that. Surely, a RAW file from the Nikon could be tweaked to match the response of the RD-1. No?

So how about it RFC: what has stopped you from from dropping $80 on a used D100 to revisit the magic of the RD-1's IQ? Interested to hear from you all. Or is it the general sense that there was something about the handling of the camera or the qualities of the lenses used on the RD-1 that has kept you all from this approach?

it was absolutely perfect with my 40mm nokton 1.4!

K0sOkSjl.jpg

h3ft6qSl.jpg

dLfYkDHl.jpg

aIm9QHQl.jpg

vNL6bW2l.jpg

wQFYFAul.jpg

3bRq3AFl.jpg

Absolutely stunning!
Please share more photos!

RD-1 10 years later.

RD-1 10 years later.

I got my RD-1s in July 2006. It has worked faithfully over the years. I've used it intermittently. Still, it was used heavily when it was in service. The rubber covers stretched and oozed off. I sent it to Cameraletter for Griptack. I later managed to reshape and reglue the rubber rear grip, which is essential for the camera's stability.

It remains a solid camera.

The last time I used it was in late 2014 to shoot a photo essay which was not published (without feedback or reply to my inquiry in early 2016). I have not used it since. I would like to.

The RD-1 has been surpassed. It remains a excellent picture taker.

For those who pine for the RD-1, I have a question: do you think it was the imaging chip or the "haptics" that made the camera a classic for you? I ask, because when I have become nostalgic for the RD-1 IQ, I have thought about purchasing a Nikon D100 used. Same chip and all that. Surely, a RAW file from the Nikon could be tweaked to match the response of the RD-1. No?

In-camera raw generation aside, you'd also need to be able to put M-mount glass on the Nikon D100. That's not going to happen.

There are times that I regret not buying a R-D1s that I held in my hands in Map Camera in Tokyo, 2010. Threads like this don't help.

I said goodbye to my R-D1 last year, I'm letting a friend borrow it for undetermined time. Switched to the Leica M-E.

Now, some 6 months on I still miss the ergonomics and IQ of the camera.

My R-D1 still stays with me (in use). Can’t give it away and fortunately it's not necessary financially :)

Maybe in the EU, but in the US these relics go for $900 or more regularly. They have held their price remarkably well over the last several years and after the initial sharp decline that affects most digital cameras.

I know because despite my predilection for the 35mm FOV, the R-D1 is a camera I am hoping to try one day, and I check the used prices frequently.

75mm

75mm

HFEY5_KheiYp3JzqSIFHjlqgfAbpYuNP1RjrkEe3gcUXKud4KlQz4o9SZnB2TmnSogqaJ_Egr-tZ1xfTJFxB6p8aHAtP9E4VLCoqLbeN1S0AkochE2i2WaDMcUT97uYsR1GtpF_nVrMN75gNegk0zSiZsEuRuUHeDMnn2WBHw8EbeqzDPJeKshdikVitrIyRFtxGvoJcDsbqeJC7HgoCW1Q_yrbrOe2bDT4PL2fqPzkyuBR1wsE7X2pwOG4-WN0Zj3uAhEJjc2L3tG2j1Z0OG9zR-AcMDtR8ROOFIGjh-GoPj2hGbYZzxUXVkbVtD2lA4Id-x7FUvyoETd9jNZsQ29Hv21RsGkSeGVeDdOHdw7sAOi6fIs8SjmWRaxd5pcQ1fotAUN3vsQUB8mN42U7l0g2cTlO1ZaY27rtgCrRKMoZ_74uOeoY7w2PTMEcqZBC7T37sxmyRens1FA9EN2TcW_UN3gofHfIWtVxl0TiUBFLmiCAtRPLbpjH1uG8bCj8oP1aaMVqofHbyeTCVtIo0JbVuVVjhN5ADETxT6Wtafk6w-L7ftTY_74JyPJK0oTtTMYoqxmOzFNZj0GqjSGqhHSRLIfQcwjaQrWvwct5jpFQDuxUb5oD9=w1210-h804-no

TiMNO9cyVIyYzrr7g4QtQ7vOwhTeIuiyLCeJPTc-EfVxKWCX7-QEf_Rp_p3kzhkTCaCCixEXr9x7JHHJawoITJSUizOPqniCswXpbfY0DAf3ZwNr0XFFtEov2Fp6sV5F3ocnbAj4Z2jqCttAUsFpEvuykEFfHKa5QgaPGNijqPH3sXQP6Vjnaa3VwBD4BkD-mq6gUndX2z7jpko9iMU6eER5vzdH_6vIH4s58nYLnOMgkhxiyKYaJfcsJejx1GnSMKz9n9gk7b8Rjk_L8kFPu7g0Oc-ZGpTNWe0GFZ24cQSC0YY9dxR9NAkS0suDtaX4eolwODvxauQwrgxpNkZlze-w1Uvxfl6GgcZgJZDC6-0QiFzDlSUUx2BGVLrj4pVv4da7xstriaub4uNsKpsmvH9gSizYDPu5R0oLMGBtYg0GQd3vf0QZQbTie4OxYcvZdyeiMIxkcvm-DN1Cj8zqNc2xa2HE_Ye8OTXBRq0KK7nTKn8LP5Km4i0NAODFZt3eLqmKb3DMwVvEaYdbt4Qipg3qrnfa3Cld1L_X6at9fTMkODfywNnSY-npeeCZYKh5gPTJV_dRIl_EtpFETAjNzFijdManp1PC8FwB98riGHNr_YZKSqW-=w1210-h804-no

arTzVOxtouuiQEOdTbHpwqMn5DB3nQDZpn8uE4-iWxvbSrJeNuwUAM0QW6bs9VdriAzKZ59eZEzIdWXNpp51aPjfYgSVDl2xb8eZPNvshzfKDy_WrW3P_cUcaj8w-Np5ttFRZMXP6M5fg066yR5jrcbnhmgJEU6ZE3n2OmozdWvjfeQcp4YVv7fZL9q7WN7c41hCGHIiqvq5dwGL1Lq2CJDSRKqsKl4WRMxQnBsM2n6d-iuc8X6DBtgTaXJpcKlbDipgBE6aZAjL0bfWrbkGsMk-pgh82UrRp1NtNtIl4A9XoiGTda1IklYbKITjcx0YIa8RpzdNRv9E16WsG6jHY5C8yng4le3_Rcda8zQbhNQg2BM1IWfO3a5GSFUyUvJGlgWCsen-6Q18USWh6XZEJEifBluHUWp5VL4s-BUyDtJOvTIhiP2CSSjV_FM7OWkbN7qEOj3O-T4hqorooKenJtsXkrxJ4X0cimsypbc8LxIK9sUFm10dFFe--9UOc3m3UFM4wStKoGetpjjFM-MTJ9-lhBokxeQXwPCOYhHXPZz6G8IpgDEawAuVjxDNuDn0DpHUmu02vQeUrSuwWcsoom8SZckWwDTLYj3BOt7lkzEkSzoClItw=w1210-h804-no

From the beginning I have troubles with focusig anything longer than 50mm. So time to time I force myself to practice it with the 75mm Heliar. Framing is not an issue, the lines for 50 are close enough.

nemjo

Makes me want to go shooting straight away.

Re sensor (q from 2 years ago): thats not the secret sauce. I have a Pentax K100d with the same sensor. Colours are quite different and I suspect the software in the Epson has some magical power. What I really think is that Epson's approach to coding the sensor data into a colour image is particularly good. I dunno if Nikon nailed it but Pentax, while good, dont quite get it to sing as well. Mind you the sensor glass messes up my wides. They do much better on film.

..What I really think is that Epson's approach to coding the sensor data into a colour image is particularly good. ...

The light transmission properties of the R, G and B filters in a sensor's color-filter array assembly heavily influence color rendering.

DIfferences in CFA materials are likely responsible for the color rendering aesthetic you mention.

Differences in coding are typically found in in-camera raw data demosaicing algorithms rather than the algorithms that simply write the analog-to-digital converted output to in-camera memory.

My third camera was getting me worried as it was an older first gen camera. I decided to buy an R-D1x, NOW we're talking some serious money. Finally found one from Japan at a more reasonable price and have put #3 into semi retirement. It sits on the shelf with a CV28/2 ready and willing to participate. I'll take it out today. The x gets regular use these days. Egad, I talk like they were children!

Back