The ARMY OF THE DEAD are eating this $5800 (or more) 35/1.5 Canon RF lens ALIVE!

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about the 35mm f/1.5? I saw the film. I thought the effects with those Canon lenses were interesting, but ultimately "meh."

I haven't seen the zombie movie so I don't know if the bokeh is to die for, but some people think the bokeh is, if not to die for, worth $5000 dollars. That's the big deal, particularly if you bought the lens back when it only cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about the 35mm f/1.5? I saw the film. I thought the effects with those Canon lenses were interesting, but ultimately "meh." When I owned a bunch of M39 Canon RF lenses years ago, my impression was that they certainly performed well enough but their primitive coatings were particularly unpleasant for anything in color. At that time, Nikon (blue-ish) and Konica (amber-ish) both seemed to do better with color. I mean, you could buy a V1 Summilux all day for less than 4-5K. Maybe that would make a nice cine conversion.

You may not have been impressed, but I liked the look. Very unique. I even pulled out my Canon 50/0.95, stuck it on my M240, and shot several minutes of video wide-open at 0.95. It worked! The same unique look look I saw in the zombie movie. I'm now starting to dabble in shooting video. Lot of potential here.

Jim B.

Interesting, Jim. I don't have video capability in my M10, but I have it in my M 4/3 cameras. I could try my Canon 35/1.5.

why so argumentative about nothing?

Wasn't being argumentative at all. Perhaps flippant for humor's sake.

The pricing does seem insane and bubble-like. I too remember when it sold for several hundred dollars and referred to your site (Leica Screw Mount lenses: user buyer's guide) when I considered getting a copy for my M9M and the one-line takeaway was, "not the sharpest".

Back