The ARMY OF THE DEAD are eating this $5800 (or more) 35/1.5 Canon RF lens ALIVE!

I have the cards of a couple of camera dealers that will sell on consignment for Wife and Daughter.

I dont know... the description says "this lens (was) used to film the entire movie". Does it mean this particular copy or this type of lens was used? I am sure the latter.

I didn’t care about the lens used, but thought the movie was a bit of a slog. For those lurking here, intimidated into silence by anti-zombie-movie bigots, “Train to Busan” was much better, in the context of zombie movies. No movies are Shakespeare. Well, maybe the last version of “King Lear” with Anthony Hopkins was Shakespeare. But, for people capable of surrendering themselves to any movie in any genre of movie which has some qualities to it, “Train to Busan” was pretty good. A heck of a lot better than “Dune” turned out to be. And “Warm Bodies” is downright charming for a zombie movie, just charming, period.
Excuse the digression from middling lenses, my coffee titer must be off.

Agree with Larry, Train to Busan was excellent as far as apocalyptic/zombie movies go!

And, technical specs just to stay on-topic :)

Train to Busan (2016)

Technical Specifications

Showing all 8 technical specifications
Runtime1 hr 58 min (118 min)
Sound MixDolby Digital
ColorColor
Aspect Ratio1.85 : 1
5.95 : 1 (ScreenX Version: some scenes)
CameraArri Alexa XT M, Cooke S4/i Lenses
Arri Alexa XT Plus, Cooke S4/i, Fujinon Alura and Angenieux Optimo Lenses
Negative FormatCodex
Cinematographic ProcessARRIRAW (2.8K) (source format)
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Printed Film FormatD-Cinema

I dont know... the description says "this lens (was) used to film the entire movie". Does it mean this particular copy or this type of lens was used? I am sure the latter.

Some months after production wrapped up, a batch of empty lens barrels for the 35 Canon went up on flEaBay because the ones used were all re-housed. If the seller is showing an original lens in its usual housing, he's yanking everyone's chains. There was an article about their use and the re-housed lenses were shown. Over on Head Bartender's site, there's a rundown on LTM lenses and the 35/1.5 is right on top, with the brief comment, "not the sharpest". Happy to leave the optic to the cinematographers for future zombie flicks. Not my cup of tea. Real life is horrifying enough..

Ok if someone likes the look of this lens, then surely it does not matter if it’s the one in the film exactly. I doubt it is a fan of the movie looking for memorabilia.

Crazy prices...I might as well trade my copy of that lens for a 2005 black paint Nikon SP limited edition with the Nikkor 35mm f1.8.

I sort of feel intimidated into silence by anti-Dune movie bigots. But I bucked up, overcame the intimidation, and now have spoken out. I'll let you know how I like Dune if I ever get around to watching it. The book was not exactly a page-turner, and I am a pretty big fan of science fiction. Anybody know what lens was used to film it?

Dune is a magnificent film, and as a long time fan of the books, it is everything I could have wanted in a modern adaptation.

The movie was shot with the Arri Alexa LF, which is a large format digital cinema camera. The sensor size of the LF is approximately that of a full frame sensor / 35mm film, and the LF is IMAX certified. It was shot on digital, and the raw digital files (shot on Arriraw) were transferred to 35mm film by a highly specialized service, and the resulting film negative was scanned back into digital. While this seems unnecessary, the director and cinematographer wanted a look that had the benefits of digital but the look of film. On digital, everything looked too sharp, but shot on film, it had a nostalgic quality they were trying to avoid. The digital to film transfer took off the harshness of digital without overly softening the image.

The lenses were Panavision Ultra Vista anamorphics, which are relatively new, but have a tremendous pedigree. It is not easy at all to get the same kind of quality and look from a less expensive lens set. Either you get vintage anamorphics that have all the usual visual and mechanical issues of vintage lenses; anamorphic adapters like the Aivascope, which is fairly expensive, or SLR Magic, which is not terribly good quality. Or you could get a modern anamorphic such as those offered by Sirui or Atlas. But none of these guarantee a look that comes close to Ultra Vistas.

Not to mention the work of the colourists who gave the film its singular look. So if you want to emulate the look of Dune in your images, you've got a long road ahead, haha.

$9900, according to the last ebay sale

So trading my copy of that 35mm f1.5 Canon lens for a 2005 black paint Nikon SP limited edition with the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 would give the other person a huge bargain...I am open for offers :))

Back